Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica conned by trade partners

Jamaica conned by trade partners

2011-04-06 08:34:45 | with audio | (0 Comments)

Debbie-Ann Wright, Assistant News Editor

Permanent Secretary in the agriculture ministry, Donovan Stanberry, says Jamaica’s food security dilemma is a result of a con perpetrated on the country by its trade partners.

During the annual general meeting of the All-Island Banana Growers’ Association, in Port Maria, St. Mary yesterday, Stanberry asserted that international agencies such as the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]International [COLOR=blue !important]Monetary [/COLOR][COLOR=blue !important]Fund[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and Jamaica’s trade partners are to be blamed for Jamaica’s massive food import bill.

The country’s food bill stood at US$802.3 million at the end of 2009.

Stanberry told the gathering that Jamaica was conned by its [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]international [COLOR=blue !important]trade[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] partners to set its trade policies in such a way that the country focused on importing cheap foods.

He told the Gleaner/Power 106 news that for years Jamaica had been given advice to focus on building its service industry instead of focusing on food security.

Stanberry said during the food crisis of 2008, cheap foods from developed countries disappeared without warning, leaving Jamaica to contend with high food prices.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Conned?

Ah fool de authorities fool fool. No way sensible people coulda fall for this.

Comment

They(the PNP) did that as a part of their cheap food strategy can't say they were conned now. Ironic to see the JLP promoting eat Jamaican now my how things have changed.

Comment

the thing is they made a lot of money giving themselves and families import licenses.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Can't wait for the weather to get good, so I can go plant my callaloo
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
          X