Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trelawny Parish Council to restrict vending in Falmouth

Trelawny Parish Council to restrict vending in Falmouth

Only 20 vendors will be allowed to sell in Falmouth square. (Gleaner Company photo)

A major showdown is looming between the Trelawny Parish Council and vendors in Falmouth.
    This follows news that strong measures are to be implemented by the Council in response to complaints from Royal Caribbean Cruises that its passengers have been harassed in the town.
    Among the action to be taken is a review of vending arrangements in Falmouth.
    However suggestions put forward by the Parish Council during a meeting on Monday night did not sit well with the vendors resulting in a fracas.
    It has been a few weeks since the first megaliner visited Falmouth and residents have been urged by tourism players including Tourism Minister Ed Bartlett to avoid harassing visitors to the Georgian town.
    However there have been several complaints from visitors and Royal Caribbean has urged the Council to get its act together or lose potential earnings.
    The mayor called a meeting and told the vendors that only 20 of them will be allowed to ply their wares in the town square on Wednesday when one of the world's largest cruise ships, Oasis of the Seas, returns.
    The suggestion has not gone down well with the vendors and Councilor for the Falmouth Division, Garth Wilkinson.
    “So what they have asked is that pebble stone streets like Sun Street, Falmouth Street, Seaboard Street and Market Street be no vending areas, but they have gone a bit further that only 20 vendors are allowed to sell in the square and it has not gone down well with the persons with the vendors and that is where the problem is,” Mr. Wilkinson said.
    Up to late Monday night, the mayor and vendors had not reached an agreement.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Suh wait.. is how much vendah suh.. wi muss sacrifice di country fi some vendah ??

What is the problem here ?

Ah whe di.. ?!

Comment

you see the irony inna all a this? Man a talk bout cruise shouldn't come and that them a all-inclusive.

It only take a few weeks fi the harrassment start and now when the people stay pon the ship you hear all kind of people come and talk crap.

The Parish council nuh have a clue.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

This sound like a BANGARANG situation in the making. Allowing only 20 of them in the area (that is a hard task). How do you select the 20?

Is there no area where these people can sell in an orderly fashion I saw one photo with a vendor by his stand, another person vending on the ground. Time to get rid of the "ground vending" (bend down plaza mentality).

Mosiah, I hereby dispatch you post haste to Falmouth, to see what is happening and work out an amicable situation.
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Suh wait.. dem nuh have one Vendah Aptitude Test.. ?

Yuh mean any and any man wid some goods can just guh down deh fi interac wid di white people dem ?

Ah wheh di ...?!

Look like seh Brown Man Time nuh reach downa Trelawny yet... summady need fi deal wid dis quick quick...

Comment

Ed Bartlett drop the ball on this one Assasin.

Vendor issues should be solved from the front-end of this pier construction.

I can just imagine the nasty uproar that took place at the Parish Council meeting.

Tourist harassment is nothing new to Jamaica.
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

"Frater told the gathering that police personnel will be looking out for drug peddlers and prostitutes, who are reported to be the main source of visitor harassment in Falmouth. He appealed to the craft vendors to assist the police by pointing out offenders."

Mi tink dem was ah talk bout real harassment.. dese are essential services...

Comment

Ed should be patrolling the pier undercover !

Comment

Barlett to get some of the blame but the local government is responsible for most of this. You want tell me they don't know they should have registered vendors, training for the people involved and planned vending sites?

Mi want know what Jawge and others who talk about AI taking advantage of crime have to say on this subject. You see they are no where around but when Brown man cage them up inna AI them have a big problem.

Comment

HL stay out of this you are being to objective here. Right now we are only entertaining subjective arguments.

Comment

Not surprised as it was in 1838 so shall it be in 2011 onwards.

Taxes will be raised to finance the municipalties of Falmouth and guess who's going to pay it? Unnuh tink mi sarry fi unnuh? Laass unnuh way; Joshua did ah teach unnuh how fi read an write back inna days wid D.Leaky but unnuh nuh waan dat ah belly full unnuh want.

Bear on I say.

Comment

suh wait.. is nuff on yah can read and write... it nuh help dem...

Comment

Ok King Jawge!
                          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                          X