Movies:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies:

"I don't know which is worse...Jamaican movies or African movies. They are just soooo bad: the bad story lines, the bad acting, the bad costumes, the bad music".

--Anonymous
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Gangsterism is the dominant theme of movies made in Jamaica.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Hl most times I like your objective outlook on things but at the same time you don't have to "put down" to make a point.

Yes the Jakan or african movies are poor in comparison to those produced in the US.We should ask why? It goes back to education. How many film schools are in Ja or Africa. How many serious writing programs are in Ja's or Africa's tertiary institution ( I say this because in the 80s happened to know a friend of the family who held two degrees from Princeton , writing at times for the Cosby show). Last but not least the creativity that goes into electronics to give quality picture and sound.

I think as nation we still don't see the value and seriousness of education. The desire to for contious learning and research is lost on us too. It's always a quick fix of "eat ah food" or be the ultimate consumer.

Granted I hear the African movies are doing well in the underground ( I don't really watch "bootleg", seeing that I saved and invested quite nicely in my home theatre system). When they start HD with at least 5.1 sound. I'm on

Comment

HL the African move industry is pretty young. Started out in the 90s at best. I heard a good piece on it on NPR. As it get more vibrant it will get bigger because there is a huge audience for it and better directors and writers getting involved.

For years the Jamaican movie schene was dead. But now since you have producers making video, and the quality is getting better, some are going to full lenght movies.

The only problem is it is not reaching the target market. So I don't see how the profit line will be there but if it is the standard will get better.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Not my point King Jawge...it was lifted from a quote i saw. (Please notice that I placed the quote in italic from an anonymous source)

Just thought I should post it to get the forums' response.

As to the points you made...they are on target.

I have a customer who has an African Movie Store. He comes in to my place of business ~2-3 time/week to ship movies all over. I guess from a business perspective it is doing well. As far as the contents and quality...I am not an expert to comment.

HL

Comment

My first trip to Jamaica, Mosiah and Ohene took me to see "Third World Cop" which was a VERY big event in Jamaica at the time.

What I didn't understand why the hero killed five bad guys in the first five minutes of the movie, then he didn't kill anyone else until intermission.

Comment

???!!! that is the usual MO. stap gwa'an like seh a di fuss yuh a notice, hmmm then again maybe it is!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I was watching clips of the film "The harder They Come" with Jimmy Cliff.

The story-line was good. I smiled at the not so good acting though. But considering the time this film was done, I will not be over critical.

"Smile Orange" was another. Just can't recall the story-line of this film.

Can't say I have seen any other Jamaican film.

Same with African Films. One that I have seen that was excellent is called "The Gods Must Be Crazy".

HL

Comment

That is a very good movie. I have watched it a few times well.

It was banned in Trinidad.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What yuh think about English movies???

Comment

good question.

Comment

Working...
                      X