• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't revise 'night noise' law

Don't revise 'night noise' law

Published: Friday | April 1, 2011 0 Comments

Patrons dance at a party in St Andrew.

THE EDITOR, Sir:
    I write with concern about the move to 'review' the Noise Abatement Act. It would appear that by the sounding off of various parties that the idea that "entertainment sessions are allowed to go until midnight on weekdays and until 2 a.m. on weekends" is to be revised.

Clearly, those that want to revise the law are either the partygoers, the promoters or those who have never been kept awake till 6 a.m. with a sound system rattling their windows, and had to run for cover with their children from the vile filth emanating from the speaker boxes.

Will our legislators consider the volume and rumbling earthquake-simulated bass of sound systems? Will they consider the already- disadvantaged children who live in or near to these communities who have to get up and go to school in the morning? Will they consider the children who live well beyond the 100 metres stated in the current act that can't sleep until midnight? Will they consider the intrusive sound systems and the party organisers that don't even live in a community and have no problem keeping it awake all night?

Will they consider the fact that most violent occurrences happen after 2 a.m. because the 'good liquor', mixed with exhaustion, is a trigger?

The goodly Minister Nelson asks what better way to relax "than to sit down and listen to some good music and drink some good liquor?" But why should everyone else in a 100-metre radius be forced to listen to that music too.

Allowing slackness
    But I suppose the current wisdom is, enough people are breaking the law anyway, so let's just change it to accommodate them. At the same time, why don't we look at carrying concealed weapons, reckless driving, and corruption in politics. How about changing the law for child molesters and drug dealers? Both are certainly quite prevalent to warrant a revision or two. Let's just change the laws to accommodate them all while we are at it.

The current Noise Abatement Act is fair, and is the only protection that non-partying citizens of this country have. Of course, that is when the police decide to step in.

I am, etc.,
    ROBIN BASTON
    robinb@cwjamaica.com

Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

i think they should but also clean up the DH. I think extendind 2 to 4 on properly zone areas and till 2 pm on weeknights is fine. Strictly nothing that goes to 6 an 7 o'clock or that block roads and thorough fare

Comment

I FULLY support maintaining the current 'law'.

As to clean up the dance hall.

I mentioned on this forum that I visited Duncans All-Age School about 3 weeks ago. I saw a little girl--not more than 6 or 7 years old doing the exact dance as seen in the attached picture. At first I thought I was not sure of what I was seeing.

But after she repeated the moves in front of the group she was with...I was absolutely disgusted. I realized for sure we have lost yet another generation.

Jamaica is essentially a place where there are no rule of law. The fact that this (good) noise abatement law is being revisited-- goes to show that indiscipline exists in all segments of the society. The leadership is at the front of the destruction of the society.
      Last edited by HL; April 1, 2011, 04:27 PM.
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
      X