• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One for you Jawge

Meet Gertrude Haldey Jeannette, New York City's 1st female cab driver

BY Michael J. Feeney
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
    Thursday, March 31st 2011, 4:00 AM

Gertrude Hadley Jeannette (below at 96) who was city's first female cab driver. Pictured above is her taxi permit from the late '40s.

Branch Price for News

Jeannette was honored Tuesday at the Dwyer Cultural Center in Harlem.

The city's first female cab driver remembered her first day on the job like it was yesterday - and she wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms.
    Instead, Gertrude Hadley Jeannette, 96, started with a bang.

"Stupid me. [I] pulled up in front of the Waldorf-Astoria," the Harlem pioneer said. "In those days they didn't allow black drivers to work downtown. You had to work uptown."

But Jeannette was more than a cabbie. She was also an actor, who had a 70-year career that included theater, television and movies. She also founded the H.A.D.L.E.Y Players, a theater club based in Harlem.

For those accomplishments, she was honored Tuesday by the Coalition of Theatres of Color at the Dwyer Cultural Center on St. Nicholas Ave. and W 123th St.

But Jeannette's first day cruising the city still stood out.

She instantly got the attention of the other drivers in front of the swanky Park Ave. hotel, who were clearly irritated that a black cabbie had dared to venture downtown.

"The drivers tried to hem me in," she recalled. "They said, 'Say buddy, you know you're not supposed to be on this line.'"

But Jeannette didn't budge. She sat calmly in her cab with her hair neatly tucked under her hat as other driver's verbally harassed her.

Then a cabbie in a green Checker cab tried to cut in front of her. Finally, she'd had enough.

"I rammed my fender under his fender, swung it over to the right and ripped it!" she said.

She broke her silence, telling the angry driver: "You tried to cut in front of me, I couldn't stop."

Her sweet voice prompted the irate cabbie to yell out, "A woman driver! A woman driver!"

A hack inspector was already at the scene and scolded both drivers before she got her first customer at the hotel.

"I took him down to Wall Street," she remembered. "I wasn't a tough cab driver. I was just a cab driver."

But Jeannette, who started driving during World War II when there was a shortage of male drivers, continued to drive until 1949 when she got her first big acting gig on Broadway in the play "Lost in the Stars."

She said being a cab driver didn't totally prepare her for the lights of Broadway, but it did help.

"It made a writer out of me," she said. "I met so many interesting people. I wrote a play about one . . . So many interesting stories."
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

God bless her soul. Honest living not narcotics, sale of guns and other illegal stuff. Incidentally my father was a part time Taxi driver in Ja.

Have much respect for cab drivers.

Thanks for your contribution.

Comment

You one have respect for taxi man...they are a blight on society...

Comment

You are so right. I forgot that the people who should be held in high esteem are the narco/terrorists, gunners, narco/bussinesmen. These people should hold high offices and lead in Ja.

matter of fact I don't know why the US don't mind there own business and stop listening on these citizens (who engage in criminal activities) who have rights under the Jakan law. As for registred taxi operators, they should be arrested. From Macbeth: "Fair is foul and foul is fair" this was dome in the play to denote decay in any society. The same still holds true for Ja centuries later.

Comment

This is the first time I ever hear someone biggup Jamaican taximan...I bet taxis are involved in 90% of the accidents on the road today...not to mention the incessant honking of their horns trying to attract fares...like I said before...they are a blight on our society

Comment

Working...
          X