• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise Abatement Act being reviewed

Nelson: Noise Abatement Act being reviewed
    BY HORACE HINES Observer staff reporter hinesh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011

HOPEWELL, Hanover — Security Minister Senator Dwight Nelson says the Government is reviewing legislation that oftentimes abbreviate the enjoyment of some Jamaicans.
    According to Nelson, he and Culture Minister Olivia Grange are looking at the Noise Abatement Act, the Town and Country Act and any parish council act in order to amend or redraft them to allow people to enjoy themselves, "to have fun, to secure their rights to have fun without impinging on the rights of others".
    National Security Minister Senator Dwight Nelson addressing the Jamaica Labour Party’s Area Council Four meeting at Hopewell High School in Hanover on Sunday.

National Security Minister Senator Dwight Nelson addressing the Jamaica Labour Party’s Area Council Four meeting at Hopewell High School in Hanover on Sunday.

#slideshowtoggler, #slideshowtoggler a, #slideshowtoggler img { filter: none ! important; }
    1/1

Under the Noise Abatement Act, entertainment sessions are allowed to go until midnight on weekdays and until 2:00 am on weekends.
    Last year, Public Defender Earl Witter joined the chorus of angry voices calling for a review of the act. Witter argued that some latitude should be given to traditional community events, such as the Accompong Town Maroon celebration and the Rae Town old hits party where the music is not an annoyance to community members.
    "As Jamaicans we are fun-loving people. We love to sit at the corner shops and our meeting places, play our music and play dominoes and drink and have fun. But we can't do so again because as we sit there the police come and lock it down," Senator Nelson told a Jamaica Labour Party Area Council Four meeting at Hopewell High School in Hanover on Sunday.
    "We are working with the minister of youth, sports and culture to address this problem because you must be free to exhale; you must be allowed to relieve yourself of the stress, the tension you feel on a daily basis. And what better way than to sit down and listen to some good music and drink some good liquor? We are looking at that now to allow you to do that without being harassed."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1I30YTy3a

As it should! It's a dumb law in its present form!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yeah it need review but only inna some area dance can go. On week days 12 is ok but on weekend it go until 4.

A St.Mary and Portland it seems them nuh have them law deh a certain place at all. People just enjoy themself and Police nuh bother.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

D&G nah sell out truck again, dam eediat Police.

Comment

Fassy face Michael Sharpe a lock off dance all over town...New Years night the fassy come lock off Rebel T HQ dance...the fassy come lock off Hot Monday's at 2am this week...eediat ting...

Comment

dem a try go back inna d ppl good books after this Manatt Debacle. Smart thinkinn Brucie and the boys, Very Smart.

Comment

Nuff of them NEED TO LOCK OFF! Why can't some of these patrons RESPEK people who want to sleep, and lower the volume after certain hours

Or if them want all NITER, since most of them don't have to go to any job the next day, then SOUND PROOF the establishment!
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                yeah it need review but only inna some area dance can go. On week days 12 is ok but on weekend it go until 4.

A St.Mary and Portland it seems them nuh have them law deh a certain place at all. People just enjoy themself and Police nuh bother.

And Sass - Portie has that problem!
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Bar is included too, Juke Box or no Juke Box, matter of fact dem turn it off a wakes even if it's the Wake Band ah play.

Comment

it don't have anything to do with who want to sleep, most of these events, have moved, been moving, to commercial areas. Zoning would be a much better solution, so that you can have designated areas for our culture.

Comment

long overdue... 12 & 2 o'clock lock off juss nuh mek it inna jamaica a place where the weather is mostly hot and the economy is dependent on people spending money at these events... it can be argued that these events are a major source of income and employment for many... many non traditional tourists support these events...

i would support a 2 o'clock lock off in week days and 4 o'clock weekends in neighborhoods (some exceptions depends on the purpose).... where an event is held in a non residential area, 6 o'clock lock off... as much as i enjoy being at some of these events, i dont necessarily believe in the 8 and 9 o'clock ending as we see in many stage shows... that just seem irresponsible and careless...

indoor clubs should also be licensed until 6 o'clock... we shold not lose sight that jamaica is unique and is dependent on tourist dollars and foreigner will come to jamaica for things they cannot get in their foreign lands... that should always be a part of the attraction to jamaica...
                      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Correct! call me party pooper... if they want to continue after a certain hour, all they have to do is lower the volume. It is the noise "abatement" act after all. Personally, loud music doesn't bother me (if it good and that is subjective) but the needs of others, especially the elderly and the young should be recognized and respected.
                        Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                          Correct! call me party pooper... if they want to continue after a certain hour, all they have to do is lower the volume. It is the noise "abatement" act after all. Personally, loud music doesn't bother me (if it good and that is subjective) but the needs of others, especially the elderly and the young should be recognized and respected.

Thank you sir, that's all I ask for - RESPEK for the others.
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                            Who lives in or around Savannah Plaza?

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                              Who lives in or around Savannah Plaza?

So what the Noise Abatement will only be conducive to certain areas of Jamaica?

I have no idea where Savannah Plaza is, but if the Act is being reviewed, it should IMO relate to the entire country.
                              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                              X