The downtown MPs need to go talk to their

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The downtown MPs need to go talk to their

constituents to have them join in in making this a reality.

KGN needs the business.

Jamaica Gleaner Online

Richards

Mt Carmel Revival Mission Church, West Kingston. - photos by Norman Grindley/Chief Photographer

1 2 >
    //Define: ContentSlider("slider_ID", [autorotate_miliseconds], [custompaginatelinkstext], [customnextlinktext]) ContentSlider("slider1", 15000) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 10000) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 3000, linktextarray) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 3000, linktextarray, "Foward") //OR ContentSlider("slider1", "", linktextarray) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", "", "", "Foward")
    Daraine Luton, Senior Staff Reporter EASTERN JAMAICA hotelier Dr Paul Rhodes seems set to lead a proposed transformation of downtown Kingston into a religious tourism destination.
    With downtown Kingston boasting several churches built decades ago, Rhodes believes the area is an untapped "cultural gem of the Caribbean."
    Rhodes, a medical practitioner, told The Gleaner that Christian heritage tourism has a good chance of being successful in downtown Kingston.
    "I think the people who visit Jamaica are missing a major part of their learning experience and enjoyable vacation if they don't spend some time in the capital," Rhodes said.
    He said Great Huts Hotel in Portland is partnering with Olde Jamaica Tours to offer visitors an eight-night itinerary dubbed 'Church Treasures of Jamaica: A Spiritual, Historic and Architectural Journey.'
    Olde Jamaica Tours is offering special tour packages designed for relaxation, while sharing with the visitor the rich history and culture of Jamaica.
    Historical sites
    The tours will take guests to historical sites in Jamaica, including churches and other culturally significant spots.
    "We recognise this to be an under-developed market, and we hope to bring tourists to Jamaica from the Caribbean islands, the United States and Europe who are looking for more than just sun and sand.
    "They can have fun in the sun plus they can also learn about religion in Jamaica, the role of Christianity from the beginnings of coming to Jamaica of the Europeans and, very importantly, the role of the Quakers, the Baptist and the Anglicans in working towards the abolition," Rhodes said.
    That dream is being shared by a group which worked on the refurbishing of the Holy Trinity Cathedral on North Street.
    They now want to refurbish and start a social programme using the Holy Trinity Cathedral, Kingston Parish, Coke Methodist, East Queen Street Baptist and Scots Kirk United churches, and the Jewish synagogue.
    According to head of the Holy Trinity Cathedral, Monsignor Kenneth Richards, the church group is working with the Kingston Restoration Company to establish a church town for tourists.
    "We are in the early stages of trying to [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]work[/COLOR][/COLOR] out the approaches we are going to take and the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]business[/COLOR][/COLOR] plan, but the general concept is to access funds that will facilitate us in the maintenance of the structures and to supplement our social outreach to the community," Richards told The Gleaner.
    It is anticipated that it will cost between between US$3 and US$5 million to restore the magnificent buildings which showcase architecture comparable to anywhere in the world.

Fantastic idea. Hope it materializes. I love visiting Churches whenever, and wherever I travel.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Mi tell unnu a Port Royal the treasure deh. Can you imagine coming of the ship, taking in a Pirates of the caribbean show, then the visiting the great earthquake site with Kiddy house, then a trip to blue mountain, drinking some coffee and Tia Maria, visiting where the first James bond was film, Marley studios, these historic churches and then having some fish and bammy on the Port Royal beach. Then mix that in with a decent reggae show.

Can't say mi never did tell unnu. That is a very unique Port experience
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

don't figget di killer app... trinkets
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Kiddy House? Some kind of Romper Room?? What are you talking about, Sass?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

giddy house
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

yeah I know your negitive comment is never far.

Comment

mi deh yah!!!!

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  Kiddy House? Some kind of Romper Room?? What are you talking about, Sass?
                  lol... trinkets galore

Comment

fun and joke aside... this is actually a good idea imho

Comment

Working...
                    X