Cruise shipping and me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise shipping and me

Going to Titchfield I was introduced to cruise tourism. For those who don’t know the ship channel passes between Titchfield high school and Navy Island. My first classroom was closest to the ship channel. We could just walk through the battery and see the ships passing a closer than 100 yards away.
    The ships would dock and Port Antonio would be buzzing. It created a vibrant town. Many people as far as Annotto Bay to St.Thomas made their living of the cruises. Tourist walked freely through the town and enjoyed the local scene. Two of my next neighbors door drivers drive JUTA and they worked only when ships came in. They woke up very early and worked all day. Mostly two days per week and they made more money than many other mini bus drivers. They could feed their family and be comfortable. Portland had maybe the highest ratio of people working on cruise ship at the time.
    Then came the death of Port Antonio. The cruises stop coming. It was said that the bigger ships can’t go through the channel. There were other excuses given such as the rundown of the attractions and others. We watch the ships started going to Ochi. One thing was not mention was that Ochi was much more organized than Port Antonio with people like Leo Wineman (SP) leading the charge. At the time despite Port Antonio getting Minister of Tourism Anthony Abrahams as MP it continue to go south. One of my favorite teachers became the head of JTB in Port Antonio but everything just went south. Now it is sad to see what is happening in Ochi Rios and they better realize before it is too late. Despite that many of my fellow Titchfield graduates continue to get ship cards and jobs on ship
    My fact is I have seen it Cruise tourism at its best and worst in my parish and what we need to do is plan properly but to think that we have no benefit etc. is not true. Also the fact is the cruise liners are now having their own port in partnership with government and if you are not in partner with them they don’t call at other ports. This is the way the industry is going so it is either we are in or out. Pick our choice.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Still lots and lots of room for developing cruise tourism in Jamaica.

We have been through the delinquent areas to improve.....

Jamaica need to get to the point where 100% of the cruise passengers disembark. The warnings given to the passengers before they dock in ports (like Jamaica) is not very flattering.

Jamaica 'puccy-foot' with progressive (tourism) development ideas.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Quote from Sass

One of my favorite teachers became the head of JTB in Port Antonio but everything just went south.

================================================

And that individual is mi fren. But trust me she has been in that position too too long now, and I don't see what purpose she serves. She has probably been at the helm of JTB in Portland for close to three decades! STAGNATION...............

When I left Portie in '83, she was there, and had been there for sometime.

Time to say GOODBYE...........
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Very nice lady and was also very beautiful but work needs to be done.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Here is a novel idea - how about developing the south coast for cruise ship stopovers. That means marketing to South America and other markets. Cruise ships don't just originate from the north.

3 and 4-Night Brazilian Cruises

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines offers a 3-Night South American Cruise. Departing in Sao Paulo, Brazil, the ship makes one stop in Angra Dos Reis before returning Cape Horn, Chile to Sao Paulo. In Sao Paulo, travelers will be delighted with the amount of things there are to do in Brazil's largest city. Travelers can immerse themselves in the shopping, the city's rich culture and history, the beaches and the exciting nightlife. Angra Dos Reis is a beach town from forgotten times. White sandy beaches and cobalt blue waters beckon sun worshippers. The architecture is reminiscent of the 18th century, while inns, galleries and cafes dot the cobblestone streets.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Jamaica's strategic advantage is cheap high quality water and great location/topography.

The cruises need us more than we really need them, as we have the option of more land based tourism development.

If we are to do these mega liners that dont want their guests to unload, we should take this to the LESS prime locations in the South coast and build the berths there! Falmouth and Pt Antonio are wayyyy to prime to act as a latrine pit stop.

Comment

Portie is not even a latrine pit stop these days. For the last umpteen years, they probably get on average 10 ships a year, if so much.

Mi nuh know what to think.

Couple years ago a ship docked on New Year's day, and everybody in the town claim them enjoying the holiday, so no business was opened to capitalize pon ship in port.
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                The cruises need us more than we really need them, as we have the option of more land based tourism development.
                You think so? Not too sure about that...but differently...what is so difficult in closing down the roads in the resort towns and having three hour long "street carnivals" when the ships are in town? Yuh have bicycle police patrolling & implement strict no harassment policies...taxis have to queue up at taxi stands to get fares and prices to each attraction are posted for all to see...Brickie for tourism minister...

Comment

them say people nah come off but a lie them a tell. As you say have a good carnival atmosphere.

Port Royal is another goal mine for these ships. These people want to come of the ship for a little. You think most people want just stay on it? Even for a few hours break and "sightseeing". Last I heard was more than 80% came of the ship at Falmouth.

Comment

yes we have to get people off the boat. NCL wont do it for us!

Comment

The NCL will try to reduce the numbers leaving with every trick in the book.

Pt Royal is the lick. Most will always come off no matter what. The place too famous, especially with the movies...

Comment

How di Carnival Cruise negotiations going ?

Comment

Working...
                        X