• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica drops in global tourism rankings

Assasin, you missed this:

Jamaica drops in global tourism rankings
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011

JAMAICA lost its place among the world's top 60 travel destinations based on dropping five places in its ranking according to the Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Report 2011 issued this month by the World Economic Forum (WEF).

The island now ranks 65th out of 139 countries down from 60th in 2009. European nations topped the list led by Switzerland, Germany, France, Austria, Sweden and the US respectively.

The report highlighted four sub-indices of uncompetitive performance by the island including ranking 104th in the world for safety and security; 105th for cultural resources; 110th for natural resources, and 116th for environmental sustainability.

The report stated that ranking is highly related to a country's level of development.

"Advanced economies started earlier with their overall development, as well as with their tourism development, and have thus been wealthier over a longer time. They have had more time and more resources available to resolve basic issues, such as rules and regulation, safety and security, and health and hygiene; and to build infrastructure, to provide necessary services, and invest in the quality of their human capital," stated the report.

Regionally Jamaica ranks 12th in a group led by the US, Canada, Barbados, Mexico, Costa Rica and Puerto Rico. Other regional competitors, Dominican Republic, Trinidad & Tobago and Guyana ranked 14th,16th and 21st respectively. The Business Observer sought comments from the Jamaica Hotel and Tourism Association and the Ministry of Tourism but a response was not immediately available up to press time.

The first Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Report was done in 2007. The report quotes references to the World Travel & Tourism Council, which estimates that the Travel & Transport (T&T) sector now accounts for 9.2 per cent of global output, 4.8 per cent of world exports, and 9.2 per cent of world investment.

"The T&T sector thus clearly remains a critical one for the world economy, accounting for a significant share of global employment and also providing an important opportunity for developing countries to move up the value chain toward the production of higher value-added services. In this context, an analysis of the T&T competitiveness of individual economies around the world remains pertinent. This is the objective of this fourth edition of The Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Report," stated Robert Greenhill, chief business officer, World Economic Forum in the preface of the report.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...#ixzz1Gljqqerz

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Mr Ed soon fix dat... nuh fret

Ar is lie dem ah tell??
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Mosiah you always seem eager to diss tourism in Jamaica. Granted, there is significant room to fully tap the market....but
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I woke up late.

What so bad about that? We are still very competitive and still rated amongst the top in many surveys. Keep on looking for the news and don't downplay the good ones.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          I woke up late.
          Is dropsy yuh ave?

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

not true at all! just trying to add some balance to Sass' posts.

tiyad fi say it - Jamaica's revenues should be 90% tourism-based!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

you mussa drop pon yu head top if a dat you call balance to rhatid.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

das true! know way could i balance out your swashbuckling propaganda machine!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yeah just come with facts and not feelings.

Comment

Where you get this from? Damn lies wait till Comical Ali sends in his figures...havent we been hearing that we have set many records since 2007
                    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

unnu a real joker. What that have to do with figures?

Go a Falmouth today, Big ship with 1600 visitors and crew members a come in today. You can go wave them in.
                      Last edited by Assasin; March 17, 2011, 01:02 PM.

Comment

And the town is ready for them, right?

Yuh talk to yuh bredren, HL, recently?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Falmouth is still in horrible condition and the pier is unfinished. Everybody down there thinks it is great. I am sure less than 1 % of the cruise passengers would recommend Falmouth based on what they have seen. By the way I love Falmouth more than I love anywhere else. But I have to tell the truth. I live in one of the top tourist towns in the world. I know what people will recommend and what they wont recommend.
                          "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

We would welcome more posts of geriatric tourists distributing trinkets to the natives... duh yuh ting

Comment

FULLY AGREE Westman. Falmouth is not ready for tourism. It is an eyesore.

This project is following the Jamaican custom of living in a house before it is completely built.

Most tourist do not want to visit countries that is destitute in appearance. Well unless they are missionaries....

Even Ocho Rios could use a comprehensive face lift. Not really impressed wid Ochi from a tourism point of view.
                              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X