X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smiling Marcus Garvey

Garvey is tops at Wolmer's

Published: Tuesday | March 8, 2011 5 Comments

Dr Walton Small, principal of Wolmer's Boys' School, greets top student for academics, Tarik Garvey (left), while Deeshai Escoffery looks on during the Wolmer's Boys' Blue Report Awards Ceremony for academic excellence at The Mico University College

Wolmer's' top academic students from first to sixth form are (from left) Tarik Garvey, Deeshai Escoffery, Chavan Lyttle, Bruce Black, Wai Leung NG and Christopher Lewis. Also pictured is principal Dr Walton Small (right).

National hero's 13-year-old great-grandnephew most outstanding student

Marcus Garvey must have been smiling in his grave yesterday morning when he heard his 13-year-old great-grandnephew Tarik Garvey being named the most outstanding student at Wolmer's Boys' School. Parents Pauline and Keith certainly were.
    "I was so overwhelmed when I heard!" said Pauline. "I'm so proud of him. He has always been very focused. Once he has work to do, he blocks out everything. Schoolwork always comes first for him."
    Said Keith: "I'm overjoyed, but not surprised. He has always been an 'A' student and I did not expect any less."
    The occasion was the Wolmer's Boys' School Blue Report Awards Ceremony at the Mico Auditorium, which honoured students who performed exceptionally well in academics and disciplinary conduct in the 2010 Christmas term.
    ]principal Dr Walton Small, senior vice-principal DeAnne Robb and vice-principal Annette Leyow stood tall as they surveyed the full auditorium.
    Proud parents
    Hundreds of parents sat welling up with pride as their boys were bestowed with honours. Four hundred and seven boys performing above a 70 per cent average earned prizes ranging from letters of commendation, certificates, book vouchers and gold 'A' achievement pins.
    First-form student Tarik heads the list of top students for year groups with all As and a 92 per cent average. The other top students for year groups were Deeshai Escoffery, second form, 89 per cent; Chavan Lyttle, third form, 88 per cent; Bruce Black, fourth form, 88 per cent; Wai Leung NG, fifth form, 82 per cent; and Christopher Lewis, sixth form, 88 per cent.
    "I feel really good about it, I worked very hard," said a reserved Tarik, who names history as his favourite subject.
    He said schoolwork was first and foremost for him. However, in his free time, he enjoys reading, watching TV and playing the occasional game.
    One of the top students at Holy Childhood Preparatory, Tarik said Wolmer's was his first choice because "they were very good at sports and academics".
    Considered a very quiet, unassuming young man, Tarik is also a sports enthusiast, being a member of Wolmer's Under-16 table tennis team, as well as an ardent football and cricket player.
    Leyow told The Gleaner that the per-term Blue Report Award was instituted 10 years ago to motivate the student population which was performing below average.
    "In the first year, only 19 boys qualified, and each year the numbers have increased, topping the record this year at 407, which was 30 per cent of the school population," Leyow boasted.
    anastasia.cunningham@gleanerjm.com

Share |
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

big up to my schoolmate Keith and family.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

nice!!

Wolmas tuh di Werl!!! LOL
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
      X