• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lesson from FInsac exprience

The disaster of unlimited guarantees: A lesson from the Finsac experience

Published: Friday | March 4, 2011 1 Comment

Dr Marshall Hall, Guest Writer

Dr Marshall Hall, Guest Writer

The concept of a limited liability company is essential to development in a private sector free-enterprise economy. The concerns by borrowers coming out of the Finsac enquiry dramatises what happens when the concept of a limited liability company is overridden by unlimited personal guarantees oftentimes by the principal shareholder of the borrowing company.

When a limited liability company fails, it can be deemed insolvent and any debt is covered only to the extent that it has assets to cover the liabilities.

The personal guarantee of the guarantor, if unlimited, will continue to accumulate with interest. It is clear from the wailings in the Finsac enquiry that guarantors did not fully appreciate the implications of an unlimited guarantee.

The problem was, of course, exacerbated during the period of dazzlingly high interest rates. On a loan poorly serviced with interest of 45 per cent, the balance in four years could be as large as J$4 million, without penalty interest.

While the compounding is less severe when interest rates are of the order of the current 14 per cent, the amount owed after four years of poor service could be greater than 160 per cent of the original loan.

Oftentimes, interest rates are not fixed, and if adjusted upwards increase the likelihood of poor repayment and, of course, magnifies the loan balance outstanding.

The Finsac disaster of unlimited guarantees must impact negatively on the willingness of guarantors to guarantee and, therefore, must limit the development of the small and medium-sized companies (SMSC).

All agree that a steady flow of new projects by SMSCs is necessary for economic growth and the dangers to the guarantors when unlimited guarantees are required must mean that the system, as presently administered, will see fewer people willing to act as guarantors and consequently fewer projects.

Banks and other financial institutions, quite properly, are not going to lend to start-up projects in small companies without significant assets, without guarantees.

In other words, the limited liability of the SMSC and the known very high failure rate of start-up projects require prudent financial institutions to seek guarantees outside the start-up company. It is now standard for business loans to be supported by non-company property or personal guarantees.

Legal constraints
    The question, then, is whether legal constraints should be imposed on banks and other lending institutions on the amount and type of guarantees they are allowed to impose.

An individual guarantees a loan of J$5m knowing that reluctantly they can absorb a J$5m claim and six years later, because the loan is poorly serviced, discovers that at today's interest rates their exposure is a multiple of the J$5m.

In summary, it is recognised that the very important principle of limited liability militates against SMSC's getting loans without guarantees that can be invoked outside of the limited liability of the company.

The limited liability concept should be extended to guarantors.

Before presenting some suggestions, it is well to remember that in countries like the United Kingdom and United States the limited liability provision is used quite frequently when companies cannot meet their financial obligations.

The insolvency goes before the courts and the creditors get paid out if there is no other guarantee in proportion to the assets of the company.

Frequently, this is a few cents on each dollar of the loan or liability outstanding.

Pleading chapter 11 insolvency in the US by a company does not carry a stigma of shame as it is recognised that business failure is normal. Florida law, for example, recognising that guarantors should not be wiped out of savings and home, prohibits the use of the family homestead as security for business loans.

The Finsac experience exposed the dangers of unlimited guarantees and very high interest rates. But even in ordinary times the unlimited, or frustratingly high, guarantees are inimical to the growth and development we so sorely need.

Under no circumstances should a loan guarantee, regardless of the net worth of the guarantors, be uncapped. Financial institutions must accept that after a certain period the loan must be capped, the company put into receivership and the guarantee realised. The guarantee, if not paid, should be pursued through the courts but the loan balance should not be allowed to grow year in year out.

Some suggestions:
    1. Make unlimited guarantees illegal;

2. All guarantees should be for a fixed amount - say a maximum of the principal plus six months' interest;

3. Guarantors should be provided with a document that simply and succinctly identifies their maximum exposure;

4. Where property or other assets are used to underpin the guarantee, the maximum amount of the guarantee that the property or asset is to be used for must be clearly stated;

5. Interest rates that are adjustable should not be permitted to increase by more than, say, 10 per cent of the original interest rate in any year.

In thinking through these suggestions, it is well to remember that the guarantor is normally the principal in the company, a relative or a friend.

We want a system that does not discourage financial institutions from lending, but broadens the principle of limited liability to the guarantor where that liability is specific and clear to lender, borrower and guarantor. A failure to do this is likely to result in preacher, teacher and financial adviser encouraging all to avoid giving guarantees.

If the loan goes sour, the loan should be capped and the guarantees called. If the lender is disposed to allow the loan balance to increase beyond the permitted limit, then the guarantor should be required to formally agree to the additional exposure governed, of course, by the same constraints of the original loan.

Financial institutions must call and cap the loan exposure when the original loan plus interest outstanding exceeds, say, six months.

These guidelines would not only have prevented the horror stories of Finsac but will serve to preserve, to a degree, the important principle of limited liability that underpins the free-enterprise system.

Marshall Hall is former managing director of Jamaica Producers Group.
    mmh@jpjamaica.com
    Last edited by Karl; March 5, 2011, 09:55 AM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Perhaps, Sass and other persons like him will accept

the truth of the argument that those companies that found themselves in receivership were poorly managed. It is now the public figure Dr. Marshall Hall who has laid out some of the conditions any manger of a business must plan around. Those are knowing the financial strength of your company, the environment in which it is operating and the consequencies of actions.

The Thermo-Plastic manager and the gentleman from Mandeville (he the propucers of transformers with nary a market for the products) were fish out of water - had not a clue on managing the businesses in which they found themselves and compounding their nonsense by excessive borrowing...throwing good maney after bad...which could not be serviced.

The 'planned for failure'...'worked for failure' and want us to believe 'they were shocked by reaping the failure' they planned for and worked at!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Did you read the whole article???? And you come away that that government legislation and proper financial management couldn't help?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        Did you read the whole article???? And you come away that that government legislation and proper financial management couldn't help?
        I hope you noticed that I edited for easier reading!

To answer your question: It would not! Those guys showed 'brain' was shutdown. If you fool-fool nothing will help!

1. Even with the problems the 'old man' had at Thermo-Plastic - (...and teh word was after building the company to a certain strength the 'old man' took 'profits' to return him to the standard of living to which he was accustomed in Haiti)...he built a respected company.

The son came and destroyed it! My friend left that company when he observed the son playing not enough attention to managing the business. He correctly reasoned it was doomed for ruin.

2. The Mandeville guy producing products for which there was no market had not a prayer!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Why is it all the bad managed companies went out of business at the very same time? Why not before? if you think it all bad run business

The fact is there had to be a shock.

Why is it 6 years after closing and after interest is been compound to bad debt? Do they expect these people to pay off the interest? Is there any ending to it?

Comment

Why is it all the bad managed companies went out of business at the very same time? Why not before? if you think it all bad run business

The fact is there had to be a shock.

Why is it 6 years after closing and after interest is been compound to bad debt? Do they expect these people to pay off the interest? Is there any ending to it?

Your first sentence is false!
            ...and all your other arguments flow from thaat sentence.

Comment

what is a false???

These business have one thing is common. They went out of business when Workers, Bank, Chen Young and Company and other financial institutions all buckled.

Why only one one line now? Can you answer please.

Comment

Karl ...yes the private sector in the 1990s had some culpability in the meltdown...they are greedy, corrupt, incompetent and short sighted...with an inordinate love for the high life while minimizing reinvestment in their business PLUS their incestuous connected party double dealing is a big negative.... a PATHETIC bunch

BUT..

You must recognize that the PNP Government of the day wrought havoc on the economy wth stupid policies. They completely mismanaged liberalization, their management of the financial system was horrible and there was no plan to protect manufacturing and no viable plan to supplement that sector with something else .... the ICT industry they had little clue about except a pie in the sky approach...the technical capacity was not there and they did not acquire it... I saw that up close and personal in 1999-2003.

All in all a dismal, depressing, destructive flop.... strait
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

what is a false???

These business have one thing is common. They went out of business when Workers, Bank, Chen Young and Company and other financial institutions all buckled.

Why only one one line now? Can you answer please.
                  ...and the 2nd post by omission presents falsehoods!

Here are questions that shall show you the 'holes in the assumptions':
                  a) Where these the only companies in existence at that time of bank failures?

b) If not, why did they fail and the others in existence at that time did not?

Comment

Karl more than 1/3 of the major companies in Ja failed at once. Something must have preempted it.

It is not one or two companies that failed in a 1-2 year period. This is the highest company failure ratio in the history of Jamaica over that period. If you fail to realise that you either blind or too bias so it nuh mek no sense we go any further.

Comment

Karl more than 1/3 of the major companies in Ja failed at once. Something must have preempted it.

It is not one or two companies that failed in a 1-2 year period. This is the highest company failure ratio in the history of Jamaica over that period. If you fail to realise that you either blind or too bias so it nuh mek no sense we go any further.
                      I do not care where you got this info -
                      more than a 1/3 of the major companies in Ja failed at once
                      It was and still is a lie!

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                        Karl ...yes the private sector in the 1990s had some culpability in the meltdown...they are greedy, corrupt, incompetent and short sighted...with an inordinate love for the high life while minimizing reinvestment in their business PLUS their incestuous connected party double dealing is a big negative.... a PATHETIC bunch

BUT..

You must recognize that the PNP Government of the day wrought havoc on the economy wth stupid policies. They completely mismanaged liberalization, their management of the financial system was horrible and there was no plan to protect manufacturing and no viable plan to supplement that sector with something else .... the ICT industry they had little clue about except a pie in the sky approach...the technical capacity was not there and they did not acquire it... I saw that up close and personal in 1999-2003.

All in all a dismal, depressing, destructive flop.... strait
                        I am not saying GOJ policies did not change the business climate....I am saying "matters not the climate" the job of the managers is to find solutions and grow the businesses.

The business I had the greatest connection with during those times failed...and it was printing - Zenith Printing Services Ltd, 5 Altamont Terrace.

Printing as I have certain knowledge on makes mark-ups in the region of 300%+. How then did we fail?

Youthful fire! Was one! - Lived the high life and pushed the company to be always on the edge.

...and perhaps the greatest of all...the wives said jump (migrate)!

Even the property - A big boo-boo was made. It was sold. Imagine - New Kingston lands were booming...and still is booming! ...we could have sat down and determined OK we are going to satisfy the wives...but let us develop the land? ...or rent/lease...tripple net lease? ...but no the fire was still there and the one person who wanted to stay with one foot in and one foot out we vote to demand that that person borrow and pay off the rest...or we just liquidate.

That persons, with fire in veins said, NO! ...give me a paper loan and payment negotiated - even rest keeping an interest and taking funds over time.

No compromise so - closure and lquidation. Now we can laugh about the exhuberance of youth! ...but that Printery bought all our houses, sent our kids to school, financed our move to foreign and helped us to 'live large' while it lasted.

Businesses closed for various reasons...but in the final analysis it is the managers who must bear the blame.

Comment

How your Florida real estate business these day?

weren't we all greedy and corrupted in the 2000s?

Comment

How your Florida real estate business these day?

weren't we all greedy and corrupted in the 2000s?
                            Real Estate is down!
                            Mortgages are down...but I can see a boom on the horizon as many rush to refi before rates climb higher...so it is all about getting market awareness!

...all greedy and corrupted in the 2000s?
                            Just to be clear I left JA in 1990!
                            ...and then for many of us it was boom times...but for many it was still down times.

...but has it been any differnt in our JA? ...some enjoying the good life and others staving?

...but to answer you - I would hazard a guess that most of us were not greedy or corrupted.

Comment

True far cry from what Joshua had in mind. Their attempt at trickle down economics failed (and it would in Ja's slavery system). Had they continued Joshua's agressive education policy, then setting up seeds in the local economy for business, Ja would be king today.

JLP is just here to eat their share and continue the trickle down policies.

Comment

Working...
                              X