wha you say Karl? them take all the man shares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wha you say Karl? them take all the man shares

Counterattacks of bad management, politics mark Desulme testimony at Finsac commission of enquiry

Published: Friday | March 4, 2011 0 Comments

Stephen Shelton, lawyer representing PricewaterhouseCoopers and Richard Downer at the FINSAC Commission of Enquiry. - File

Dionne Rose, [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Business[/color][/color] Reporter Stephen Shelton, the lawyer for Price-waterhouseCoopers and Richard Downer, on Wednesday charged that Thermo Plastics was a company in deep financial trouble long before the takeover by its [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]banker[/color][/color] National Commercial Bank and, eventually, Jamaica Redevelopment Foundation Inc.

Shelton tried to counter statements made earlier by an emotional Jean-Marie Desulme who told the FINSAC Commission of Enquiry that politics was at the heart of the loss of the family [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]business[/color][/color], which was started by his father Thomas Desulme in the 1960s.

"How often since you have been the managing director of Thermo Plastics has the company been put into receivership?" asked Shelton.

Desulme replied that this occurred once in 1998, referring to the action taken by NCB.

But Shelton insisted this was not entirely true, which elicited from Desulme a reprimand of the lawyer.

"No, let me correct you; you told me that it's 'since I have been the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]managing[/color][/color] director'. That's what you said before, isn't that what you said?" demanded the Haitian, his voice rising and thick with his Haitian accent.

"You did not ask me how many times Thermo Plastic has been in receivership, you should ask the question properly," said Desulme.

He eventually admitted that the company was put into receivership two times, the other in 1977 under his father's leadership.

Shelton disclosed that the company owed debts to several banks including Trafalgar Development Bank, National Investment Bank of Jamaica and NCB.

He also quizzed Desulme on efforts by the company, prior to the takeover by NCB, to raise capital to pay overseas suppliers.

Financially weak
    The lawyer also told the commission that the company, at the time of the takeover, was financially weak with the company having only a balance of J$14,000 in the bank.

"I'm suggesting to you that for this huge company that you were operating, that what you had as working capital, at the time that you were negotiating, you had J$14,000," he said.

But Desulme fired back that the company had millions of dollars in outstanding receivables.

"We might not have cash in the bank, but we had receivables coming in," he said.

Earlier on, Desulme told the enquiry that politics was the heart of the problem why Thermo Plastic failed, which he said was corroborated by Dr Omar Davies when he testified before the enquiry in 2009 that NCB was too big to fail.

Desulme said he pressed Davies on the issue of why NCB was too big to fail while Thermo Plastic, which had employed hundreds of workers, was allowed to go under.

"Mr Omar Davies replied to me, Desulme the problem with Thermo Plastic is your family, that's what he said, which corroborated exactly with the statement that Mr Dunbar McFarlane told me," he said.

A teary-eyed Desulme told the Commission of Enquiry that his family was forced into poverty when the company was put into receivership.

"The impact has been substantial to the immediate children; but for the grandchildren, many of them could not be supported in school because all the support was cut," he said, as he likened the family's treatment to that of the Holocaust where some six million Jews were killed by the dictator, Adolph Hitler.

Desulme said the family not only lost the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]business[/color][/color] but also properties that were sold, cash collected on behalf of the company and shares held in companies, such as The Jamaica Pegasus.

"Where are those shares?" he bellowed. "I have tried (to find them), and still making research."

Desulme said his father, who was a former minister of government in Haiti under the regime of Francois Duvalier, also known as 'Papa Doc', came to Jamaica as an investor where he opened a small factory in Kingston called Thermo Plastic, after selling his factory and all his belongings in Haiti.

The Thermo Plastics business eventually grew, and at the time of the take over employed some 600 persons.

Desulme said his family's lives were not only shattered, but the lives of many of the employees were affected.

"These people had a safety net. These women who sacrificed themselves," he said.

"These people don't deserve that ... political abuse," he added.

dionne.rose@gleanerjm.com
    Last edited by Karl; March 4, 2011, 04:51 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Have you read the article?
    Nuh yuh mount hit?

I have a friend who worked with Thermo-Plastics and his story on the management of the company told a story supported by the cash poor report given.

We can make our own guess on why the company ran into problems and why assets outside of the company were used as colateral for loans to the company.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

but you nuh take everything from the man and him pickney. Nobody is saying there wasn't bad management but what you can't defend is how a man owe one million dollar and it turn 100 million after he gave up the company and tell them to take it, it a mutlitply.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        but you nuh take everything from the man and him pickney. Nobody is saying there wasn't bad management but what you can't defend is how a man owe one million dollar and it turn 100 million after he gave up the company and tell them to take it, it a mutlitply.
        Sass: I hope you kniow what documents you signed when you bought your home...including your obligations and the lender's rights!

OK! The above was said just to bring you back to reality and not calling down 'goat mout' pan yuh!

You are my bredren but on this FINSAC thing you are going down the wrong path!!! ...and that is - fact!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

you know what you sign when you bought your house????
          Didn't you have some lawyer looking over it. You think you can read all those pages in 2 hours and understand them all????

The fact is the government could have halted the increase amount to a reasonable sum after the companies have been taken over.

There is two things that cause this crisis. The sudden rise in government interest rate and the fact that the government created no legislation to halt the run away interest rate after people gave up their business.

Did you read the article I posted below this morning?

Did you know that most home equity loans can be cancelled with a 2% -5% decrease in value? I am sure you must sell some. Are your clients and others aware of this? Only when the bank send me the cancellation of this policy I knew. Many others have no idea.
          Last edited by Assasin; March 5, 2011, 10:52 AM.

Comment

you know what you sign when you bought your house????
            Didn't you have some lawyer looking over it. You think you can read all those pages in 2 hours and understand them all????
            So did those 'dim-witted managers' have accountants, attorneys, etc. advise them?

The fact is the government could have halted the increase amount to a reasonable sum after the companies have been taken over.
            The matter of increases on those outstanding obligations after the 'owners' were relieved of them was neither here nor there. - There was no financial institution or any individual or group of individals willing to purchase those companies.

There was only one option - liquidation or fire sale.

In either of those cases the orginal owners cannot return to the companies. These guys were out!

It would be a crazy GOJ...or any governement anywhere in the world to give companies back to the charge of persons who wreaked them....i.e. persons who by actions showed they culd not and cannot manage the companies.

What would you like - tax payer money to pay-off and restructure the companies and put the same poor managers in charge to repeat the process?

There is two things that cause this crisis. The sudden rise in government interest rate and the fact that the government created no legislation to halt the run away interest rate after people gave up their business.
            Sass: Please read the article again...and without blinkers!

I have said it before (albeit using different words):
            If you company manufactures shoes...and suddenly all persons decide to walk barefooted...you have to re-tool or close the company! ...and you have to do either before you also go under.

Did you read the article I posted below this morning?

I know you did not! ...or you would not be saying what you now do!

Did you know that most home equity loans can be cancelled with a 2% -5% decrease in value? I am sure you must sell some. Are your clients and others aware of this? Only when the bank send me the cancellation of this policy I knew. Many others have no idea.
            Sass: All home equity loans can be forgiven.
            ...and in certain extreme cases even 1st morgage loans are forgiven!!!!

...but in both cases you have to qualify for the forgiveness!!!!!

Comment

Who said to give them back the companies?

The fact is nothing is these loans are forgiven, they are all multiplied.

All they had to do is relieve them of the 100% mulitiplication of interest.

Comment

Who said to give them back the companies?

The fact is nothing is these loans are forgiven, they are all multiplied.

All they had to do is relieve them of the 100% mulitiplication of interest.
                Sass: When the GOJ or its quasi-government entites got involved those companies were already lost. There was massive default on loans. The banks and other financial institutions had called the loans and 'foreclosed'!

The GOJ came in to prevent wholesale collapse of the financial system. Without GOJ intervention it would be worse than the great depression...it would be chaos and 'man eating man'!
                Last edited by Karl; March 7, 2011, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Karl the wholesale change of interest rate and lack of regulation cause the shock in the marketplace. This big change in interest rate was to combat the devaluation of the Jamaican Dollar.

If that didn't happen many of the companies you said were not manage properly would have still survive.

Comment

Karl the wholesale change of interest rate and lack of regulation cause the shock in the marketplace. This big change in interest rate was to combat the devaluation of the Jamaican Dollar.

If that didn't happen many of the companies you said were not manage properly would have still survive.
                    Any change in the marketplace produce shock for poor managers.

These managers tend to be not sufficiently prepared or they are unprepared. They usually end up being POOR (burnt) - These are persons who do not do their home work and that because they P(ass) O(ver) O(pportunities) R(epeatedly).
                    Last edited by Karl; March 7, 2011, 03:44 AM.

Comment

there were no changes in the marketplace but instead the inenviorment in which they operate. Remember this goes accross various industries and not just one.

Comment

Working...
                      X