• Phillips censured for Saving Jamaica

Enquiry and Old McDonald's Farm
    MICHAEL BURKE

Thursday, March 03, 2011

O Manatt, Phelps and Phillips, E-I-E-I-O
    Atkinson, Knight then Small and Phipps E-I-E-I-O
    Dwight Nelson versus Peter Phillips
    O Manatt, Phelps and Phillips, E-I-E-I-O

Some say that the Manatt, Phelps and Phillips Enquiry is a stage show (hence the above song to the tune of Old-McDonald-had-a-farm). Others have referred to it as Days of our lies. I do not usually like to comment on commissions of enquiry until the deliberations are completely finished, but there are few different things with regard to this enquiry. In the first instance, the enquiry is being carried live on at least one radio and at least one TV station. This speaks volumes to the fact that there is a preponderance of radio stations today. A station that is lacking in sponsors can certainly gain financially from this enquiry.

In the second instance, it is perhaps the first time since the early days of Norman Manley as a barrister (the legal profession of barristers and solicitors had not yet amalgamated as that did not happen until January 3, 1972) have we had the day-by-day reports in the media of eminent lawyers at work. Of course, at that time it was the print media, as there were no radio stations in Jamaica before 1939.

The lawyers employed at this enquiry are ones who have made their names by practising criminal law. While today most of Jamaica's lawyers are women, it somehow remains true that the best criminal lawyers anywhere in the world are usually men. Is it because men prefer criminal law, or is it because the lawyers employed in this enquiry are all middle-aged men who were trained differently from the way lawyers are trained today? I suspect that it is actually both.

Before 1975 law students were articled to older lawyers and had to do practical work. But men tend to learn in practical ways while women tend to learn by studying books. Of course there are exceptions both ways.
    Small wonder then that the legal profession in Jamaica today attracts more women than men. Of course there are exceptions both ways. But I would prefer to see a system where law students have a choice of either way to be trained. In this way the profession might once again attract men who could go on to become great defence lawyers.

In the third instance, watching the proceedings unfold is changing the political landscape of the country in a very rapid way. It is my opinion that were Peter Phillips the president of the People's National Party, it would be a certainty, no matter what the Jamaica Labour Party comes with, that the PNP would win the next election by a landslide.

True, former British prime minister the late Harold Wilson said, "a week is as long as a year in politics". The next election is at least a year and a half away, if prime minister Bruce Golding decides to do a full term. But already there is a mood in the country that will be hard to reverse if Phillips assumes the leadership of the PNP. Golding's only hope at present is for Portia Simpson Miller not to give up the PNP presidency.

The attempt to target Peter Philips as a "sell-out" will not hold any water. The people who say so are seasoned JLP supporters. I have not heard anyone who voted PNP in the last election express that opinion. Senator Dennis Meadows' call for a censure of Peter Phillips will only work in Phillips' favour.

In 1970, a foreigner forged the name of the then minister of agriculture for a contract. Michael Manley, the Leader of the Opposition at the time, questioned the wisdom of the minister in signing such a contract. It turned out the minister knew nothing about it. Michael Manley then went to England and did a lot of detective work, which resulted in the arrest of the agent of a foreign company who had forged the minister's signature.

The JLP majority in Parliament censured Manley. Then the PNP printed buttons with Manley's photograph on them with the inscription "censured for saving Jamaica". Phillips might well do the same, if censured. And in the campaign for the next election, Phillips could well promote himself as the man who spoke the truth. Can Golding find a way to counter that?

I started by borrowing the tune of Old McDonald's farm and end with a joke about "his" farm. A Canadian, an American and a Jamaican were in a quiz competition, one of those that one has to win one round to go to the other. One question was "Old McDonald had a...? The Canadian answered "house".
    So the question went to the American: Old McDonald had a...? The American answered, "ranch".
    The question then went to the Jamaican; Old McDonald had a ...? The Jamaican answered "farm". So the Jamaican won that round and went to the next. The question at the next round was to spell "farm", to which the Jamaican shouted "E-I-E-I-O".
    ekrubm765@yahoo.com

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...#ixzz1FdJSqxDc
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Fellow classmate and comrade plotting out the strategy.

Go deh Mad Mike. LOL

Comment

He has been never afraid to stick his neck out!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

He has been never afraid to stick his neck out!
        who? Me? Mi gree!! LOL!

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

"Golding's only hope at present is for Portia Simpson Miller not to give up the PNP presidency"

Well, it is safe bet that she will not, so him safe. Jamaica party politics nuh work suh.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

you think peter would win?

Comment

i-man look from when mi a seh portia fi mek a graceful exit... mi glad odda people notice dat tuh...

if peter phillips was made the leader of the party, pnp would enjoy a landside victory... NO DOUBT...

peter a duh all de heavy lifting only fi portia fi tilt de load... she selfish bad...
              'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

oj, peter phillips would win hands down... portia is the primary reason why the pnp lost the last election... remember less than 3000 votes separated the parties in the last election...
                'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

As it stands today I think he would win but things change constantly in politics.

He is definitely the better candidate for PM. Me nuh see Portia having any kind of solutions for our problems.I really could not vote for the PNP with her as the leader. She still in 1970s mode and so is most of her inner circle.

For all the issues with the current govt at least you can say some of them like Tufton, Bartlett and Shaw trying some different things and getting some different results.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                    "Golding's only hope at present is for Portia Simpson Miller not to give up the PNP presidency"

Well, it is safe bet that she will not, so him safe. Jamaica party politics nuh work suh.
                    He is not!
                    He is a 'dead man walking'!
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

One big negative about this rapid JLP implosion under One Liad is that the PNP escapes with doing NOTHING... NO REFORM... NO CHANGE IN PERSONNEL... NO NEW POLICY...

The JLP is just handing them the initiative and possibly power in 2012 by default...just like the JLP implosions in the 1990s Gang of Five etc handed PJ election after election

Pathetic leadership by Gelding & Crew... Seaga was right about him...a clueless, witless, feckless flip flopper

Comment

a congenital liad who was trying to protect jamaica's most wanted is better than Portia?

tings bad den!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                        X