RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this really true? Maudid and Lazie take a bow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this really true? Maudid and Lazie take a bow.

More tears at Finsac enquiry
    Businessman claims collusion at root of his loss
    BY PATRICK FOSTER Observer writer fosterp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011

FORMER managing director of Thermo-Plastics, Jean Claude Desulme, yesterday claimed that he lost his company in 1998 in what he described as collusion involving the political directorate, NCB, the Financial Sector Adjustment Company (Finsac), and National Investment Bank of Jamaica (NIBJ).

Desulme, giving testimony at the ongoing commission of enquiry into the 1990s financial sector meltdown, said that members of the then ruling People's National Party (PNP) wanted his brother Yvon to assume leadership of Thermo-Plastics on the exit of their father, the company's founder.

According to Desulme, his father was a "staunch supporter" of the PNP and made regular donations to the party.

Desulme added that while he also made donations to the PNP through two former prominent Cabinet members, his brother — considered a "travelling companion" of then Prime Minister PJ Patterson — was favoured for leadership.

In his statement yesterday, Desulme accused his brother of orchestrating the takeover of the company by NCB.

In 1998, NCB placed Thermo-Plastics in receivership but yesterday Desulme told the commission that the company was not in arrears at the time.

He testified that the day he was removed as managing director, an NCB executive called him for an early morning meeting.
    He said that the meeting was subsequently rescheduled to the afternoon, which he attended.

According to Desulme, during the meeting he was informed that all was OK with Thermo-Plastics' account.

However, upon returning to his office a new security guard was at the gate and he was refused entry to the premises.

Breaking down in tears, Desulme told the enquiry that when he asked for an explanation, Richard Downer — who he learned was appointed receiver by NCB — emerged from the building with armed guards and told him to leave.

"Not even my medicine in my attaché case he would let me get," said an emotional Desulme. "He just waved me off and told me to get out of here."

After being booted from the company, Desulme testified that he sought assistance from the deputy chairman of NCB, Dunbar McFarlane, who, Desulme claimed, informed him that Thermo-Plastics did not have a financial problem, but rather a political problem. "That's what he told me," Desulme insisted.

Thermo-Plastics and a sister company, Plaspak Limited, were considered at the time the largest of their kind in the Caribbean.
    In 2002, Finsac transferred the plastic manufacturing companies (business machinery and land) to NIBJ for $205 million.

But attorney-at-law Anthony Levy, representing Thermo-Plastics, yesterday pointed out that both NIBJ and Finsac had common directors, David Coore (NIBJ chairman), Shirley Tyndale, former financial secretary and Rex James.

According to Levy, the assets of Plaspak were transferred by NIBJ to PPL Limited for $9.4 million.

The Thermo-Plastics property was sold to Omni Industries for $35 million.

In December 2009, Levy told the Commission that records showed that NIBJ managing director James was also a director of FINSAC subsidiary REFIN, as well as a director in the company that purchased the $9.4-million property.

At the time the attorney contended that the assets were grossly undervalued, saying that the tax department had a valuation of $145 million for the land NIBJ sold for $35 million.
    Last edited by Karl; March 2, 2011, 07:00 PM.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

mi looking and listening

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

mi looking, listening and sighing - Ah Bwoy!

Wonda if Karl a listen
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Certain thing you can't touch with a ten.......

Comment

Time, I missed it, why should I take a bow? Or is it yuh trying a Madonna impersonation now?
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I dont know what Madonna did. The taking of a bow was meant to be a form of the forum showing some respect to you but then were are Jamaicans suh we may read it differently. Lokks like this Finsac thing was more than bad finance.
            The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
              I dont know what Madonna did. The taking of a bow was meant to be a form of the forum showing some respect to you but then were are Jamaicans suh we may read it differently. Lokks like this Finsac thing was more than bad finance.
              Madonna did a song that started, "Take a bow!" and no, I'm not reading anything differently!

Just note that not because ppl like Lazie, Maudib and Assassin stand alone against the masses ... most of the we right, Sass seem to cyaan bodda ... my back broad.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

So the brothers fought over the inheritance and neither benefited when it all was done?

Aaaah bwoy?!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

What mi tell yuh long time?

Steeeuuups.

Comment

Fallah di money!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                      Sass seem to cyaan bodda ... my back broad.
                      ... an yuh head tuff!

Assasin (to his credit) nuh defend fockery lika yuh
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Okay two brothers; one clearly used his connections to steal the corp. in the end both lost.

The case of Lewis and the transformer is to show that Lewis was a good engineer but a poor business man. There was a column speaking about how to make partnerships of techies and business minds. Ja's mentality is that if I'm bright in one area then I'm bright in all.

Many had benefitted from FINSAC but you won't see it printed. Because....

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                          ... an yuh head tuff!

Assasin (to his credit) nuh defend fockery lika yuh
                          If using the FACTS to support my point is defending fockery ... then so be it. At least I don't engage in careless speculations.
                          Last edited by Lazie; March 3, 2011, 09:44 AM.

Comment

compliments of your friendly neighbourhood FINSAC...ooooo wait .... who benefitted? hmmmmm....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yeah right Mr Fax..LOL
                              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X