Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some satify with Downtown arrangement

Some transport operators pleased with new downtown arrangement

Some transport operators are expressing satisfaction with the new arrangements at the downtown Municipal Transport Centre, just over a month into its operation.
    JIS News recently visited the newly opened centre at Water Lane, and got the views of some bus operators and commuters.
    While they noted some concerns that need to be resolved, St Thomas operators Kevin Grahamand David Burford, who ply the Kingston to Morant Bay route, say they are quite pleased with the new parking arrangements. For them, it is a major improvement on what existed previously.
    The Water Lane facility is the new termination point for rural stage operators that ply routes from St Thomas, Portland and St Mary to Kingston as well as Linstead via Cross Roads.
    "When you are down here, everything is orderly," Mr Graham told JIS News, adding that harassment is not a problem.

harassment
    Burford, the conductor on Graham's bus, said operating from the new transport centre in Water Lane has drastically reduced the high level of harassment that they once endured. He said he felt more secure, as he was operating hassle-free and did not have to worry about thugs and extortionists.
    "Normally, if we were up there [former terminal point], we had to pay about $3,000 to extortionists," Mr Burford said. He added that parking in the new transport centre has halted the "special bus treatment". "It they move us from down here, I will quit the work. I am not going back to the former location," Burford said, adding that he now enjoys peaceful days and restful nights since the new parking arrangements.
    Fellow bus operator on the Morant Bay to Kingston route, David Green, is also relieved that he no longer has to endure the indiscipline that formerly characterised operations.
    "Down here [Transport Centre] is safer. We pay less money. First time, every load you get, you have to pay," he said. Currently, bus operators are only charged a daily fee of $250 to utilise the facility.
    Graham also praised the tight Security and safety of the facility, noting that there is constant police presence to ensure the safety of commuters.
    "The police drive through regularly and you have a police station (Police Post)," he told JIS News.
    Meanwhile, general manager of operations at the Transport Authority, Cecil Morgan, said they were aware of the issue. He added that additional inspectors and police personnel have been monitoring these bus stops that were initially used as terminal points.
    "We will be visiting the locations to make sure that what this operator is saying can be addressed in a meaningful way, because we do not want any person to be violating what we have put in place," he emphasised.
    With regard to illegal operators, Mr Morgan said they will be intensifying operations in the Parade area, and along East Queen Street to ensure that persons are caught and prosecuted.
    In the meantime, many commuters interviewed at the Downtown Municipal Transport Centre are pleased with the new system. Sharing her experience after riding the Jamaica Urban Transit Company shuttle for the first time, a commuter told JIS News that "It's all right, it is easy. I just came by the bus terminus in Parade, got on the shuttle and came down here. I think once the shuttle continues to operate then the system can work." Although pleased with the cleanliness and security of the facility, another commuter noted that many vendors are finding it difficult to get their goods from the market into the shuttle, and then from the shuttle to the assigned area for her bus. Names changed.
    Last edited by Assasin; February 26, 2011, 05:34 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

God bless Peter the Great!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
    X