X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling to 'craft' a living

Struggling to 'craft' a living

Published: Saturday | February 26, 2011 3 Comments

Ocho Rios craft vendor 'Galala' wants the town to be cleaned up.

Ocho Rios craft vendor Susan says enough cruise-ship passengers are not visiting the craft market.- Norman Grindley/Chief Photographer

1 2 >
    Ocho Rios craft vendors hurting as tourists avoid the market

OCHO RIOS, St Ann: FOR YEARS, vendors in the Ocho Rios Craft Market have struggled to make a living despite the thousands of visitors to the north coast resort town each month. But the vendors say business has been getting worse over the last four years, leaving many of them almost destitute.

"We (Ocho Rios) getting cruise ships up to four times for the week, sometimes two each day, and you still can't go home with US$100 in your pocket.

"Then what you working for? This only a turn you wutless," said a craft vendor who identified herself only as Susan.

"Edmund Bartlett (minister of tourism) nah do nothing fi we poor people and a we start craft vending," Susan charged.

She argued that while the opening of the Falmouth Port could be a problem for the Ocho Rios craft vendors, that is not a major concern for them.

"When the ship them come in, two bus loads of tourist not coming in here. By the time them tour Dolphin Cove, Mystic Mountain, Bamboo Beach and other places, a time for them to go back to the ship. The only time we benefit off the ship is when we pay we money to go sell on the pier.

"It is the hotel tourist them who save we life. Hotels like Couples, Sandals, Jamaica Grande and RIU that have craft days help we, and when the hotel guest them go to the mall, them will come in here," added Susan.

Business bad
    She was supported by other craft vendors who agreed that for a long time, business has been bad in the Ocho Rios Craft Market.

The vendors said while they would be willing to move to an area where business could be better, there is nowhere for them to go.

"If we move from here, where would we go? We have to stay here because this is our place," said the popular Ocho Rios craft vendor known as 'Galala'.

He was quick to reject claims that the items on offer in the craft market are stale and similar.

"Everything in here develop and kind of new. You usually get one style of giraffe. You are getting different styles now," Galala said, as he added the finishing touches to a giraffe figurine.

clean-up needed
    He argued that the craft market would enjoy better business if the authorities clean up Ocho Rios and make walking more pleasurable for visitors.

"Get all of the pimps, the drugs man dem and all of the idlers off main street, from Jamaica Grande gate right down to the ship pier, that is what them need to do," declared Galala.

Other vendors pointed to their well-stocked stalls with no buyers as they pleaded for assistance from the authorities.

"The minister of tourism must do something for people like us. All you hear him talk about is hoteliers and hotels and nothing about the small craft-trading people," said one obviously irate vendor.

Bartlett has repeatedly voiced his support for the craft vendors and has promised that they will not be left out of the plan to improve Jamaica's offerings to its visitors.

arthur.hall@gleanerjm.com
    Last edited by Karl; February 26, 2011, 09:40 AM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

I have been to that craft market. I find it stale and similar items are sold. It is redundant The market would be successful with half the current numbers of vendors.

And I just DON'T like to be hounded by vendors--who meet you at the gate...trying too herd you to their stall. I am sure that the tourists don't appreciate this.

The road leading to the Craft Market and surrounding areas need to be much more user friendly.

A power washing of the pavement would not do any harm either...

Jamaica approach tourism in a dunce fashion.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

there are many things I see wrong there. First from Jamaica Grande to Ochi is very dirty. You don't need central government to organize a clean up. I am sure if local groups approach the hotels close by and other tourism related group get these people with vested interest in tourism in that area they can clean it up. They need to educate the people and monitor the little stream right there to keep it clean.

I have been to the market too. I find it didn't have a lot and the vendors even try to give things to my 2 and 3 year old in order for me to buy it. Once you enter you are been hounded. Not very nice.

These people have to learn to take advantage and organise. I hope Falmouth culture will be different. There is still a lot of tourist walking in Ochi but they rather not going there.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Dese people need to be in 9-5 setting like a factory working.. what happen to all di factory dem ?

Comment

Talk to the Minister of Education. Tourism MUST BE A PART OF ANY
          Curriculum. Hospitality must not be only down to hotel workers.
          One can make a decent living selling to tourist but a how you do it.

Comment

Working...
          X