Almost $12M earned from one day farmers' markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost $12M earned from one day farmers' markets

The Ministry of Agriculture is reporting that about $12 million was realised from the recent one-day farmers' markets, in sections of the country.
    The markets, which were held in Portmore, Kingston, St. Mary, Clarendon and Manchester, were initiated as a means of reducing the glut in several primary crops.
    The Ministry says almost 20,000 consumers patronised the event to get fresh fruits and vegetables and other produce at reasonable prices.
    Data from the Rural Agricultural Development Authority (RADA) indicate that the total volume of produce was 218,000 pounds.
    The total value of fresh produce sold amounted to $11.4 million, while other items including packaged foods – dried coconut, pan cake mix, peeled bananas, fresh water fish and bammies - totaled $1 million.
    According to the data from RADA, 184 farmers participated in the one-day markets, with Portmore and Mandeville accounting for the highest share.
    Each had 48 farmers while Kingston had 35.
    The two locations accounted for the bulk of the money spent by consumers, with total earnings in Portmore accounting for $4.5 million and Mandeville $2.8 million.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Great!

Now use that money and fix up the regular markets.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It shows the difference that someone with fresh, though simple, ideas can make.

Thats why I as things stand today I would rather give the Crime Syndicate a second term rather than bringing back the PNP's failed and obsolete dinosaurs.

Fortunately the JLP have had thier collective criminal feet put to the fire with the Dudus thing and the consequence has been some disruption in organized crime in the country. Keep up the pressure I say.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Critical Thinking.. works every time..

Go to the head of the class.

Comment

Opposition questions revenue figures from farmers' markets

Roger Clarke, Opposition Spokesman on Agriculture, is questioning claims by the Ministry of Agriculture that $12 million was collected from the recent one-day farmers' markets held in sections of the island.
          The figure was provided by the Ministry on Thursday.
          The markets, which were held in Portmore, Kingston, St. Mary, Clarendon, and Manchester, were part of a strategy aimed at reducing the glut in several crops.
          But Mr. Clarke is seeking clarification from the Ministry as to how it arrived at the total earnings.
          “I've been always doubtful about some of the figures that they have been presenting, even in their production figures and this is another reason why I am beginning to doubt some of those figures coming out of the Ministry. How on earth can you decide that $12 million was made at these markets? They are not paying market fees, they just opened these markets and I am really at a loss, I would really like an explanation as to how they arrived at those figures,” Mr. Clarke said.

The Agriculture Ministry says almost 20,000 consumers patronised the events; the total value of produce sold amounted to $11.4 million, while other items including packaged foods – dried coconut, pancake mix, peeled bananas, fresh water fish and bammies - totaled $1 million.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Roger Clarke is a hilarious fellow and decent for the most part, but let us hope that Jamaica does not have to go back to him being in charge of Agriculture. Tufton is light years ahead of him.

Comment

I memba one meeting with Roger.. him seh after him guh through the applications for land purchase within his ministry him call a meeting and seh:

"People, at my age I should be looking at coming OUT of Jail.. not going TO Jail.."

lol ! Him really funny fi true..

Comment

I wish they were talking about REAL MILLION ($).

Still a fair attempt at Supply Chain Solution....
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Yes di market ting is a nice idea.... Babylon ave dem all ova pon a regula...

Operation GROW... Food Security mi seh..Driva...doan tap atall... lol
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                  X