Security Minister did not know much about the Crime Boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Minister did not know much about the Crime Boss

If it is true that the security minister did not know that the crime boss had an office in Tivoli then it means that the security forces failed to supply the minister with intel about Dudus.

Nelson reiterates not knowing 'Dudus'
    BY TANESHA MUNDLE Observer staff reporter mundlet@jamaicaobserver.com
    Friday, February 25, 2011

<A href="mailto:?subject="Nelson reiterates not knowing " JamaicaObserver.com? - Online News Jamaican | Nelson-reiterates-not-knowing--Dudus-_8427901 news www.jamaicaobserver.com http: Dudus??&body="Link:">

MINISTER of national security Senator Dwight Nelson yesterday reiterated that he did not personally know former Tivoli Gardens strongman Christopher 'Dudus' Coke and pointed out that his denial had nothing to do with fear of the alleged drug lord and his organisation as was suggested by an attorney.

Nelson gave the response after Linton Gordon, the attorney representing the Jamaica Defence Force, made the suggestion at yesterday's sitting of the commission of enquiry into the Government's handling of the United States' extradition request for Coke at the Jamaica Conference Centre in downtown Kingston.

"Chairman... I did not deny the existence of the man. I said quite clearly that I was aware of his existence. I knew of reports in both the print and the electronic media of his activities. I had intelligence reports from the law enforcement agencies so I was aware of his existence. I said I did not know him," said an obviously irritated Nelson.
    Gordon also suggested that Nelson was lying when he denied expressing a concern to former police commissioner, Rear Admiral Hardly Lewin, that Coke's extradition could bring down the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) Government.
    However, the minister responded: "Your suggestion is wrong, totally, completely, unadulteratedly wrong."
    Queen's Counsel Patrick Atkinson, representing Dr Peter Phillips, also grilled Nelson on his knowledge of Coke and even suggested that Nelson knew Coke's family.
    However, Nelson said that he did not know Coke's mother but had seen his father once at the office of the Bustamante Industrial Trade Union.
    Nelson also testified that he did not know that Coke spent most of his time in Tivoli Gardens — a JLP stronghold — as he could have spent time in any of the other communities in West Kingston.
    Under further cross-examination from Atkinson, Nelson said that he was not aware that Coke's Presidential Click office was located in West Kingston until after the May 2010 security forces' operation in Tivoli.
    Nelson also told the enquiry that he was not aware that copies of the extradition request had been found inside Coke's Presidential Click office.
    At one point during his cross-examination Nelson accused Dr Phillips, the former national security minister, of hiding the two secret Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) he signed with US and UK authorities in 2004 at the JDF headquarters in St Andrew.
    The MOUs give local and foreign law enforcement agencies the right to intercept all landline and cellphone conversations on Cable and Wireless (now LIME) and Digicel switches in an effort to gather intelligence in the fight against drug trafficking and organised crime under a programme named Operation ANTHEM.
    However, critics have said that they trample on the rights of Jamaicans and Phillips has taken flak for signing the documents without the knowledge of the Cabinet and then Prime Minister PJ Patterson.
    On another matter, the commissioners rejected a request from Queen's Counsel KD Knight (representing the People's National Party) to bar members of the Government from commenting publicly on the proceedings. Knight and his colleagues had taken issue with criticisms of Phillips' action by minister with responsibility for information Daryl Vaz.
    He also recommended that the enquiry be terminated as the witnesses were not fully co-operating.
    The enquiry will resume on Monday.

Read more: <A style="COLOR: #003399" href="http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Nelson-reiterates-not-knowing--Dudus-_8427901#ixzz1EyinbQlt">http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1EyinbQlt
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

And man waan fi talk bout FINSAC!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The first highlight is understandable since Dudus man spend most of him time in him big uptown office.

The next two questions, if this commission has any worth, should be quite easy to clear up and see whether him telling lie or them never give him the info.

Comment

.... so what if he doesn't know? Is it impossible he didn't know? Time, the man made it clear to the commission he wouldn't discuss any reports provided to him by the police, so yuh argument about the security force nuh hold water.

Listening to the line of question .... what was the point if he knew ... or didn't know? Patrick Atkinson should just leave the questioning to KD ... at least there is some entertainment value in KD's performance.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

yuh cyaan hangle Atkinson? there may be many reasons why yuh nuh waan Atkinson fi aks nuh question. in fact, i can think of at least 73 reasons!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I think Anderson feels that he needs to keep up with KD. Yesterday towards the end, the man had nothing to ask, but kept trying to make up new questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              And man waan fi talk bout FINSAC!
              Yuh cyaan serious. What impact did FINSAC have on our economy? If you people had backed off and allow the gov't to do their job, there wouldn't a need for this Dudus Enquiry. Oh .. yeah ... mi figat that Squealer hid the MOUs. PNP .... they've mastered the art of focking up.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I put it to you that Dudus and the entire genocidal attack by rthe govt did more harm to our economy than FINSAC could ever have done!

nuh know bout you, but i waan see more fockeries from Peter the Great. Look on how it has reduced crime!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yuh cyaan hangle Atkinson? there may be many reasons why yuh nuh waan Atkinson fi aks nuh question. in fact, i can think of at least 73 reasons!
                  I refer you to Me's post.

Comment

I put it to you that Dudus and the entire genocidal attack by rthe govt did more harm to our economy than FINSAC could ever have done!

nuh know bout you, but i waan see more fockeries from Peter the Great. Look on how it has reduced crime!

Say it some more ... maybe you'll buy the lies.

Comment

Suh if nelson nuh know nutten bout "Chris"... ow im fi know bout Skeng??

Look like dat deh One Don safe fi reel...LOL
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Bwoy yuh resorting to totally inane babbling now..

Look like seh di implosion in the decade of di 90's completely missed you.. or yuh fall for Omar 3 Card Trick.. wheh yuh tink di money dat did pay fi yuh services suh yuh could afford di Escalade did come fram and how yuh tink it did affect di country balance sheet ?

Fellow Forumites.. Mosiah is crying out for help... is there no-one to answer his pleading..soon is Ward 21 unnuh haffi guh fi si him..

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                          Fellow Forumites.. Mosiah is crying out for help... is there no-one to answer his pleading..soon is Ward 21 unnuh haffi guh fi si him..
                          Mi look like mi can deejay? How Ward 21 fi help me?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nonsense!

Dudus was known to be the owner of Presidential Click. That Presidential Click was awarded numerous GOJ contracts.

The records on offical office and location of Presidential Click were and still are in the possession of the GOJ!

Sorry to say this - Dwight has 'turned' himself inside out numerous times during cross examination.
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                              Dudus was known to be the owner of Presidential Click. That Presidential Click was awarded numerous GOJ contracts.

The records on offical office and location of Presidential Click were and still are in the possession of the GOJ!

Sorry to say this - Dwight has 'turned' himself inside out numerous times during cross examination.
                              ... and to think you started out yuh post saying Nonsense. My fault fi read it.

Comment

Working...
                              X