RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$4million loan turned into 1 billion debt ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $4million loan turned into 1 billion debt ..

Businessman tells Finsac Enquiry how $4million loan turned into $1 billion debt

A Mandeville businessman told the Commission of Enquiry into the 1990s financial sector collapse, on Wednesday (February 16), how a $4 million loan from the Eagle Commercial Bank in 1994 turned into a $1 billion debt in 2008.
    Businessman Michael Levy, who owned the Bankhouse Mall on Manchester Road, Mandeville, said that after learning that, despite paying back over $20 million by 1997, he still owed over $1 billion, he wrote Minister of Finance and the Public Service, the Hon Audley Shaw, seeking his assistance.
    His lawyer, Rafael Codling, quoted extensively from a statement Mr. Shaw made in the House of Representatives, sometime after the letter was sent to him, indentifying that thousands of Jamaicans had suffered severe financial losses from the meltdown, and the subsequent sale of the bad debts to a Texan firm, Jamaica Redevelopment Foundation (JRF) for only 20 cents in the dollar.
    Mr. Levy told the Commission that his mall at Manchester Road was taken from him, he and his staff were chased off the premises and it was eventually sold for far less that the $1 billion owed to JRF.
    “I can’t understand how a man has borrowed $4 million and has repaid tens of millions to the bank, could still end up owing the bank over $1 billion,” Mr. Levy said.
    He said that the finance minister had stated that some depositors and debtors had received support from the then Government by way of 90-100 percent of deposits, plus interest in some instances, leaving the Government with over $60 billion in debt, but that he had received none of this support.
    Mr. Levy said he couldn’t understand how a firm based in Texas was named “Jamaica Redevelopment Foundation”, and how it could acquire the bad debts at 20 cents in the dollar, when no such offer was made to the thousands of Jamaican debtors who had already repaid huge sums on their loans.
    He said that he has taken the Government to court for allowing JRF to tack on 50 percent compounded interest on his debt which, he said, is against the law. He is still awaiting a ruling.
    The Finsac Commission of Enquiry resumed its sittings in November after being stalled for more than 3 months. Retired Justice Boyd Carey has been replaced as Chairman by Worrick Bogle. Retired Justice Henderson Downer and Investment manager Charles Ross are the other Commissioners.
    The enquiry resumes Thursday at 2 p.m. at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, New Kingston.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

PURE BLATANT WIKIDNESS! Me would stop paying the blasted loan, and they could always imprison me. At that stage, you have nothing more to loose!
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

A di funniest story that me ever see. Mi want Karl come explain that one to me .

Sorry fi talk bad thing make laugh.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

5 successful Black Man replace each one ah dah breddah...

That is the way of Capitalism... unnuh stap bawl bout FINSAC...

Comment

Behold how the black entrepreneurial class was decimated.

Comment

Not a lot different from Gov. borrowing...also remember since 94 to now the dollar has moved a lot. Interest rates in Jamaica just didn't make sense for business....but lending money in Jamaica is high risk....in fact anything to do with money in Jamaica is high risk.
            It's sad for Levy since it seems he attempted to pay the loans...just doesn't make sense though about the $4M...he must have had other options....

Comment

yes.. there has been quite a bit of movement since '94... driven by reckless Govt Policy...

"Black Man Time..."

The irony is stark.

Comment

Indeed. The Paterson government must go down in history as one of the most incompetent in the Caribbean has ever seen, but our current government is sparing no effort in trying to take the title.

Comment

oh.. and what record setting incompetence have they displayed ??

Comment

Working...
                  X