RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will go? Attorney General or Solicitor General?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will go? Attorney General or Solicitor General?

As Paul Ashley auditions for a slot in the JFF technical staff

Analysts predict major fallout from Solicitor-General’s testimony

There are predictions on Wednesday morning there will be major fallout in the Ministry of Justice following Tuesday's revelation by Solicitor-General Douglas Leys at the Manatt/Dudus Commission of Enquiry.

Mr. Leys testified that his boss, Attorney General and Justice Minister, Dorothy Lightbourne, was not being truthful about her account of the involvement of the US law firm Manatt, Phelps and Phillips in the Coke extradition matter.

Under cross-examination, Mr. Leys, contradicted aspects of a statement made by Miss Lightbourne in response to a censure motion brought against her in the Senate last year.

Political observers say this has far reaching implications for future relations between the Justice Minister and the Solicitor-General.

Inevitable clash

Commentator, Dr. Paul Ashley, says problems are on the horizon.

Speaking with our news centre on Tuesday night he said it could result in the exodus of both persons from the Ministry.

“I think that an inevitable result must be strained relations between the Solicitor-General and the Attorney General. We don’t know, as of now, who is telling the truth, we have to await the testimony of the Attorney General Dorothy Lightbourne and in any case it would be a strained relationship that does not auger well for the continued involvement of both in the Ministry,” Dr. Ashley said.

‘One has to go’

And President of the National Democratic Movement (NDM) Earl Delisser, says it will no longer be business as usual at the Justice Ministry as far as Miss Lightbourne and Mr. Leys are concerned.

“It would seem to me that in light of this contradiction it will be difficult to see the both of them working together again and it would seem to me that in the final analysis one may have to go, as to which one it would be difficult to say at this stage,” Mr. Delisser said.

Mr. Leys is to be further cross examined when the Enquiry continues later Wednesday morning.

Administration in trouble

In the meantime, another political commentator believes the latest development involving the Justice Minister has implications for the Bruce Golding administration.

Publisher of the Western Mirror, Lloyd B. Smith, says the issue of credibility has again been brought to the fore.

“And already the Golding administration is suffering from what may be described as a major credibility. The fact that these civil servants, whom we have no reason to doubt, given the nature of their jobs and their years of service and so on would suggest that the Minister may have very well compromised her position,” he said.

Crucial times

Mr. Smith says Miss Lightbourne's testimony to the Manatt Enquiry will be crucial as it could determine if she remains as Attorney General and Justice Minister.

“If she cannot negate these statements in any way when she gives her testimony and it seems to me so far that there is overwhelming truth that is emerging against her, then the decent thing to do would be to demit office in the interest of integrity, probity and transparency in Government,” Mr. Smith said.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

but wait the second reel is on and I'm by the soda stand chatting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7wJm...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
      “If she cannot negate these statements in any way when she gives her testimony and it seems to me so far that there is overwhelming truth that is emerging against her, then the decent thing to do would be to demit office in the interest of integrity, probity and transparency in Government,” Mr. Smith said.
      decent thing to do...i expect her to remain in office.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
        As Paul Ashley auditions for a slot in the JFF technical staff

Analysts predict major fallout from Solicitor-General’s testimony

There are predictions on Wednesday morning there will be major fallout in the Ministry of Justice following Tuesday's revelation by Solicitor-General Douglas Leys at the Manatt/Dudus Commission of Enquiry.

Mr. Leys testified that his boss, Attorney General and Justice Minister, Dorothy Lightbourne, was not being truthful about her account of the involvement of the US law firm Manatt, Phelps and Phillips in the Coke extradition matter.

Under cross-examination, Mr. Leys, contradicted aspects of a statement made by Miss Lightbourne in response to a censure motion brought against her in the Senate last year.

Political observers say this has far reaching implications for future relations between the Justice Minister and the Solicitor-General.

Inevitable clash

Commentator, Dr. Paul Ashley, says problems are on the horizon.

Speaking with our news centre on Tuesday night he said it could result in the exodus of both persons from the Ministry.

“I think that an inevitable result must be strained relations between the Solicitor-General and the Attorney General. We don’t know, as of now, who is telling the truth, we have to await the testimony of the Attorney General Dorothy Lightbourne and in any case it would be a strained relationship that does not auger well for the continued involvement of both in the Ministry,” Dr. Ashley said.

‘One has to go’

And President of the National Democratic Movement (NDM) Earl Delisser, says it will no longer be business as usual at the Justice Ministry as far as Miss Lightbourne and Mr. Leys are concerned.

“It would seem to me that in light of this contradiction it will be difficult to see the both of them working together again and it would seem to me that in the final analysis one may have to go, as to which one it would be difficult to say at this stage,” Mr. Delisser said.

Mr. Leys is to be further cross examined when the Enquiry continues later Wednesday morning.

Administration in trouble

In the meantime, another political commentator believes the latest development involving the Justice Minister has implications for the Bruce Golding administration.

Publisher of the Western Mirror, Lloyd B. Smith, says the issue of credibility has again been brought to the fore.

“And already the Golding administration is suffering from what may be described as a major credibility. The fact that these civil servants, whom we have no reason to doubt, given the nature of their jobs and their years of service and so on would suggest that the Minister may have very well compromised her position,” he said.

Crucial times

Mr. Smith says Miss Lightbourne's testimony to the Manatt Enquiry will be crucial as it could determine if she remains as Attorney General and Justice Minister.

I think a decision has been made to throw Lightbourne under the bus. If true Gelding smart nuh backside. Maudid must be his advisor.
        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

it seems that way to me too, but i would rather see gelding under said bus. the buck stops with him!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

she did want lef from long time.

Comment

what's smart about that?? Smaddy haffi guh.. Dottie is an obvious candidate... but dat now is too likkle, too late.. Termite dem nah tap til dem get Gelding fi resign ar kall election like ow dem deh pon top

If Gelding did really smart im wudda mek Dottie walk di plank lang time-- nuff peeple wudda satisfy wid dat an it mebbe wudden reach dah kritikal stage ... suh One Goon like Maudib really ah advise Gelding fi reel
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
              X