• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robertson, Rowe settle case

Robertson, Rowe settle case

Published: Tuesday | February 8, 2011 5 Comments

Robertson

[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Lawyers[/COLOR][/COLOR] representing Cabinet member James [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Robertson[/COLOR][/COLOR] are reporting an end to his legal battle with United States-based Jamaican [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]attorney[/COLOR][/COLOR] David Rowe. Robertson's attorneys had filed a lawsuit in a Florida court seeking damages against Rowe, who is representing Ian Johnson, the man who has accused the minister of criminal activities.
    That came after Rowe fired the first salvo by going to court seeking compensation for Johnson, who claims he was the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]target[/COLOR][/COLOR] of a plot orchestrated by Robertson.
    That suit was filed in the civil division of the Circuit Court in Broward County, Florida, and sought compensation for Johnson for "assault and battery" by Robertson.
    Last month, a US judge threw out the case on the basis that the allegations surrounded incidents in Jamaica. However, the judge gave Johnson 15 days to file a motion as to why the case should be heard in Florida.
    Peeved by the developments and the damning allegations from Johnson, Robertson sued Rowe for damages in excess of US$15,000.
    The energy and mining minister and his [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]attorneys[/COLOR][/COLOR] claimed that the statements made by Johnson were false and that Rowe knew that they were false.
    Political damage
    The lawyers claimed that Rowe accepted a false statement from Johnson for the purpose of damaging Robertson politically.
    Robertson also accused Rowe of being engaged in a campaign against the governing Jamaica Labour Party and its members and that Rowe's sole purpose in taking the deposition from Johnson was to defame him through libel and slander.
    But yesterday, Robertson's lawyers, in a statement, said: "Pursuant to the irrevocable instructions of (the) Honourable James Robertson, all proceedings of whatever nature, brought against Mr David Rowe are hereby discontinued and have come to an end in all respects.
    "Further, Mr James Robertson acknowledges that there is no basis to proceed against David Rowe. Rowe as at all times, acted solely in a professional capacity for Ian Johnson, on whose instructions Mr Rowe relied, " the statement said.
    They also released a statement, reportedly from Rowe, in which he promised to discontinue the legal action.
    "It is my professional opinion that the current facts which are available to me as of February 1, 2011, are not sufficient to corroborate and support continuing the lawsuit, filed in the 17th Judicial Court Florida relative to Ian Johnson v James Robertson and any other proceeding relevant to the matter.
    "For this reason, I have decided to file a motion to dismiss this action with prejudice," the statement said.
    When contacted yesterday, Rowe told The Gleaner he would not comment on the issue. Efforts to contact Robertson were unsuccess-ful, with one of his aides indicating that the West St Thomas member of parliament would not be speaking on the issue.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Rowe and Robertson also auditioning to join KD and join the Law and Order cast. Them man yah addicted to the Hollywood lifestyle.

Comment

Working...
    X