Brain drain or the twin positives of reducing unemployment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brain drain or the twin positives of reducing unemployment

...and increasing potential for inflows of foreign currency reserves?

--------------

'I Want To Open Doors For Other Jamaicans'
    Published: Sunday | February 6, 20110 Comments

Wallace, real-estate executiveturned nurse. - Contributed
    Male nurse Roy Wallace's aim is to be "first and foremost, an ambassador for Jamaica" while working in Canada. He was among a group of pre-university school-trained practical nurses who departed the island last week to take up jobs in Alberta province.

Wallace is planning to maintain the proud reputation built by Jamaican health-care workers in Canada. According to Donna Adams, deputy chief for the Jamaican Liaison Services in Canada, "The experiences over the years have confirmed that Jamaicans are very committed, always working very hard to achieve their goals, and always endeavouring to be good ambassadors."

The 33-year-old Wallace, a former real-estate executive-turned nurse, says the two-year-long practical nursing programme offered by the pre-university school "covered a lot of grounds in a short space of time and the course work was extensive, but we succeeded with hard work and good teachers who motivated us".

Explaining his decision to become a practical nurse, Wallace said: "I wanted a portable profession, and training for a medical doctor was harder to get into." He added that there was a large demand for male nurses.

Wallace said he was looking forward to his job as a licensed practical nurse in Canada that include, among other duties, advocacy for elderly patients, administering medication, and supervision of health-care assistants. He was also anticipating first-class working condition and modern equipment in Canada.

licence

Wallace is one of five males, among 77 persons who completed the pre-university school's practical nursing programme last October. The programme was delivered in collaboration with Alberta-based Norquest College that provided the curriculum. Graduates received a one-year temporary licence from the College of Licensed Practical Nurses in Alberta. A permanent licence is available on completion of their final examination. The licensed practical nurses are departing for Canada in groups based on the completion of the relevant immigration procedures by the Canadian High Commission in collaboration with the Ministry of Labour and Social Security.

"I want to open doors for fellow Jamaicans so they are able to find a livelihood in Canada because of my track record," said Wallace.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ead/lead7.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

I think that presently in the case of Jamaica, the loss of trained professionals is still a net negative, though not as much of a negative as it was a few decades ago when migrating was a more permanent separation.

That may not always be the case though. I believe that in India for example, migration of its professionals changed from a net negative to a net positive in the 90s as large numbers started to return or invest in thier native land. I do not think we are there yet.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
    X