• Show
Clear All

• Hmm - JLP did not know about the wiretap

I wonder who said what on tape?

Phillips mum on wiretap MOUs
    Former security minister says he won’t comment now
    BY ERICA VIRTUE Observer writer virtuee@jamaicaobserver.com
    Friday, February 04, 2011

DR Peter Phillips yesterday declined to say whether he had signed two memoranda of understanding (MOUs) with United States and United Kingdom law enforcement officials on the same day in June 2004 that not only conflict with each other but breach the right of Jamaicans to privacy.
    The secret MOUs, which were seen by the Observer, give local and foreign law enforcement agencies the right to intercept all landline and cellphone conversations on Cable and Wireless (now LIME) and Digicel switches in an effort to gather intelligence in the fight against drug trafficking and organised crime under a programme named Operation ANTHEM.

PHILLIPS... I shall be addressing the commission sometime in the future

PHILLIPS... I shall be addressing the commission sometime in the future

#slideshowtoggler, #slideshowtoggler a, #slideshowtoggler img {filter:none !important;zoom:normal !important}
    1/1
    But the documents, labelled MOU 1 and MOU 2, bearing a signature above Phillips' name and portfolio of national security minister and signed on June 30, 2004, give conflicting instructions about how wiretap intelligence can be used.
    The document labelled MOU 1 states that all intelligence from ANTHEM passed to the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) "is provided with the understanding and condition that it will be used for intelligence purposes only".
    MOU 1 also instructs that the intelligence cannot be disseminated outside the DEA's Special Operations Division (SOD) without the agreement of the Joint ANTHEM Consultative Group (JACG) at which time it should have the following caveat: "This information is provided only for intelligence purposes in an effort to develop potential investigative leads. It cannot be used in affidavits, court proceedings, subpoenas, or for legal or judicial purposes."
    However, MOU 2 says that the Jamaican Narcotics Division (JND) "will supply to the DEA the product from the JND link in a format that the DEA can use as evidence in US courts".
    The conflicting provisions of the MOUs, as well as their infringement on the rights of Jamaicans have fuelled debate among journalists and political analysts who have said that Phillips needs to explain his role in the matter.
    But yesterday, when he was contacted by the Observer, Phillips said he would not comment at this time.
    "I shall be giving evidence to the commission, so I am not making any comment about it now," he said.
    "I am not in Jamaica now and I have not heard anything about it," he added. "I shall be addressing the commission sometime in the future."
    The secret MOUs bear the signatures of three other individuals who signed on April 27, 2004; June 18 and June 21, 2004 and involves the Military Intelligence (MIU); Jamaica Special Branch (SB); the JND; Her Majesty's Customs and Excise (HMCE); National Criminal Intelligence Service (NCIS); the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS) and the DEA.
    The agreement is for the provision of a communications link between ANTHEM and the JND.
    Under the arrangement, SIS engineers installed and maintained the JND link from the current ANTHEM intercept facility to the JND headquarters to enable JND officers there to intercept communications on telephone switches of both networks.
    MOU 2 also indicates the DEA's agreement to contribute US$3.2 million "to pay for access to the existing Cable and Wireless mobile and landline networks and to share equally the activation costs of the Digicel intercept licence".
    The existence of the MOUs first became public during the Commission of Enquiry into the Government's handling of the United States' extradition request for former Tivoli Gardens don Christopher ''Dudus' Coke to answer drug and gun-running charges.
    Following Wednesday's proceedings of the enquiry at the Jamaica Conference Centre in downtown Kingston, Queen's Counsel Frank Phipps, who is appearing for the Jamaica Labour Party, told the Observer that the MOUs had no legal binding on Jamaica as they did not have Cabinet approval.
    It also emerged at the enquiry that Prime Minister Bruce Golding and his Government were also unaware of the documents after they came to power in the 2007 general elections.
    The United States relied on the wiretap information secured from this operation to provide evidence contained in the affidavits in the Coke extradition request submitted in August 2009.
    Jamaica had argued that the wiretap evidence on which the US relied was illegally obtained in Jamaica. However, the US insisted it acted legally under the MOU.
    The issue resulted in a nine-month stand-off that strained relations between Kingston and Washington.
    Coke was eventually sent to the US last June after he was captured by the police and waived his right to an extradition hearing.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1CzjkP2Fl
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Is ongly dat concern yuh ?

Yuh si wha happen ah Trinidad ?

lol !

Comment

Suh Phillips silent now? How come? He was always willing to hear himself speak.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

actually, the conflict i see is that, once they get the individual to the US, they can use that info IN THE US COURTS (hence the second MOU) .... because the MOU #1 seemed to preclude that. HOWEVER it still appears that it could not be used in the extradition proceedings itself in JA.

MOU 1 also instructs that the intelligence cannot be disseminated outside the DEA's Special Operations Division (SOD) without the agreement of the Joint ANTHEM Consultative Group (JACG) at which time it should have the following caveat: "This information is provided only for intelligence purposes in an effort to develop potential investigative leads. It cannot be used in affidavits, court proceedings, subpoenas, or for legal or judicial purposes."
        However, MOU 2 says that the Jamaican Narcotics Division (JND) "will supply to the DEA the product from the JND link in a format that the DEA can use as evidence in US courts".

this is bloody interesting!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Interesting yuh cyall it ?

Ah now di Enquiry start. !

People seh dem waan ventilate di ting..

Drivah juss smile and seh.. me tuh !

Ice-berg tip ominous..

Comment

Dem call dat DIABOLICAL !

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
              Interesting yuh cyall it ?

Ah now di Enquiry start. !

People seh dem waan ventilate di ting..

Drivah juss smile and seh.. me tuh !

Ice-berg tip ominous..
              Actually there are those who now insist its a waste of time hearing what coming out. Like dem waan lock the gate after the horse gone thru it. Better dem did lissen to Comrade Mosiah.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Red Herring look like Jaws to me..

Mek di frog dem gwaan bwoil...

Comment

Peter Phillips or the then Prime Minister can clear it up, no?
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

If form holds, all our ticians have a hand in effing it up.

Our system rewards mediocrity.

China is now a full blown meritocracy and all dem politicians are highly educated (nuff nuff big degrees and ting). Mi naw call no name, but nuff members from both sides in Jamaica would AUTOMATICALLY be DQed in a China like system.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      Peter Phillips or the then Prime Minister can clear it up, no?
                      Then PM? Yuh certain him know bout it? An extradition request should be sent for Phillips suh he can be deported back to Jamaica to answer some questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                        actually, the conflict i see is that, once they get the individual to the US, they can use that info IN THE US COURTS (hence the second MOU) .... because the MOU #1 seemed to preclude that. HOWEVER it still appears that it could not be used in the extradition proceedings itself in JA.

this is bloody interesting!!!
                        Well. If the JND gets court approval to release the information and then supply it then it can be used in a court of law. It sort of putting the cart before the horse but it may be legal. Gamme come forth!
                        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

look to me like MOU 1, was inadequate for the the purposes the US wanted .. hence MOU 2. i would call MOU 2 the dudus exemption because i am sure it was crafted with dudus in mind!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                            If form holds, all our ticians have a hand in effing it up.

Our system rewards mediocrity.

China is now a full blown meritocracy and all dem politicians are highly educated (nuff nuff big degrees and ting). Mi naw call no name, but nuff members from both sides in Jamaica would AUTOMATICALLY be DQed in a China like system.
                            mi juss ah wait fi clowns (rather intellectual dwarfs) like Assasin, Jawge an Maudib fi kall yuh leftist ar communist ar seh yuh love China an hate America...lol

mi nah put nuh money pan dat fi happen doh...ah ongly certain people inspire dem compliment deh...good ting Don1 back broad .. HouseHold background magnificent!!

Thanks in advance
                            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

why would I call Willi communist or Chinese apologist? Every 3 post for Willi don't include any on the fall of America and the rise of the Chinese.

How you nuh label him as "Brown man" or roast breadfruit"?

He has no problem with the naming of the Airport and he sometimes support some of the things the GOJ does.

Group and stop thinking you are smarter than anyone on this forum. Get rid of your chip.
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X