Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strike at Gran Bahai Principe resort escalates

Strike at Gran Bahai Principe resort escalates

Gran Bahai Principe resort in Runaway Bay, St. Ann.

The industrial action at the Gran Bahai Principe resort in Runaway Bay, St. Ann, has escalated.
    This, as staff members on the hotel's afternoon shift have joined protest action staged by their colleagues on Saturday morning.
    The hotel, which is almost at full capacity, is being manned by managers and casual workers.
    Earlier Saturday, the Island Supervisor of the Bustamante Industrial Trade Union (BITU), George Nicholas, announced that scores of workers at the Bahia Principe Hotel in Runway Bay, St. Ann, will remain off the job until next Monday.
    Union delegates held meetings with the hotel's management, Saturday afternoon.
    Mr. Nicholas told RJR News that the decision has been made for the workers to be paid double time for holiday work, and time and a half for overtime work.
    However, the issue of gratuity payments remains outstanding.
    Mr. Nicholas says the workers are currently paid gratuity at 3%, while industry workers elsewhere are paid a 10% gratuity.
    “On the re-judge of the gratuity, the Ministry of Labour will be sending some officers here on Monday when it will be discussed, so there is no finalization on the gratuity. As a result of that the workers have decided that they are not going back to work until Monday when the Ministry comes and we agree on something. The BITU is supporting them 100%,” Mr. Nicholas said.
    The more than 200 members of the hotel's line staff are protesting the non-payment of gratuity.
    An employee told our newscentre that a meeting convened, this morning, got heated, prompting a walk-out by two union delegates.
    “About ten minutes after we saw them come outside telling us that they are trying to solve some of the problem but they are saying that they cannot meet some of the account people so they have to wait until Monday. We have been getting this cook-up for a long time, a very long time,” she said.
    The workers said in November, the hotel opened another section of the property, resulting in the same number workers carrying out additional duties, without any increase in payments.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Hope they solve this one fast!!

Just booked a week vacation at that Hotel beginning the first week in March...
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

One Word For HL: SuperClubs !

Originally posted by HL View Post

Just booked a week vacation at that Hotel beginning the first week in March...

HL:

Why would you want to go that monstrosity?

BREEZES SUPERCLUBS RUNAWAY BAY !
      Just 1.5 miles down the road.

I have been to BRB seven or eight times.

Bring a couple of size 3 soccer balls for Sister Robinson's Basic School just UP the road.
      Last edited by Bruce; January 30, 2011, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Bruce I have a friend working there for years. I also did a short stint there when it was Jamaica Jamaica. When you going back let me know.
        Have a lot of memories of that place, at the time they were just putting up the second wing.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Seems like them need to pay the people more than 3% gratutity. That kinda small, even 5%, Sandals and Superclubs may more. The unions couldn't work it out without a strike? I hope it resolve soon for everybody interest.

Comment

From A Soccer Standpoint...Superclubs Is Better

About 12 noon or so, when the Breezes-chartered buses head east from Mo Bay airport, dropping guests off, you can always find an eastbound Breezes bus at the door, as opposed to a public bus, and catch a ride to Drax Hall, which is on the main road to Ocho Rios.

Getting back, that's another story.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Bruce.

Been to Starfish (now Breezes) in Falmouth. Very basic and standard.

Was at the RIU in that area last August. It was excellent! So I thought i should try BRB.

Still, i'll try the one you suggested the next time around.

HL

Comment

Oh, and Bruce thanks for the soccer-ball suggestion .

I always take about 3 ball with me on each trip. It's delightful to drive up to kids kicking around an old ball (or something)--then go up to them and hand over a new ball with a pump!

Cannot forget the look of this kid face (on his way to school)--when i pulled over and gave him a football.

I helped him pump the ball and chatted a bit. On my way back to the car, the boy (still not sure about the gift) asked..." a really fimi ball dis sarrr". I smiled back and said yes. He gave me a big grin. HE MADE MY DAY!!

HL

Comment

you and Bruce can take a ride up to Runaway Bay Heart Academy about 1 mile from Breezes upon the hill. Very beautiful little hotel and have an informal chat with the trainees. I do that everytime I go as I attended this institution. The Trainees will be very happy and you can have lunch or a drink. My wife also enjoy the little trip with the little chatter with the trainees.

Comment

Mosiah Spanish friend dem a gwaan bad...

Then again.. not every Hotel owner can be a Butch Stewart..

Comment

okaay

Comment

SuperClubs Re-Branded Properties

It has come to my attention that SuperClubs has re-branded some of its properties.

Hedonism 3, in Runaway Bay, has been re-branded Super Fun Beach Resort & Spa. When standing on the beach at Breezes Runaway Bay, you can see the lights from this place on the point of the coast, to the northeast.

Gran Lido Braco, in Discovery Bay, east of Falmouth, has been re-branded as Breezes Rio Bueno.

Starfish Resort has been re-branded Breezes Trelawny. It still caters to families.

From a golf standpoint, Runaway Bay is a fine course. Ironshore, located in Mo Bay, is piece of s*it.

Comment

Working...
                        X