X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comeback year?

Shaw calls 2011 the “Comeback Year”

Finance Minister Audley Shaw.

Finance Minister Audley Shaw made a rallying cry for the private sector to make 2011, "the comeback year" for the economy.
    Mr. Shaw made the call as he addressed the Jamaica Stock Exchange's annual conference, at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, on Wednesday morning.
    After three years of economic decline, Mr. Shaw says things are about to change in 2011.
    He says the Planning Institute of Jamaica has set up a growth secretariat which has so far developed a road map aimed at inducing growth for Jamaica.
    “It was examined at last weekend’s Cabinet retreat and we were extremely encouraged by what we saw, a final document is expected to be presented for approval shortly and of course we are working in consultation with JAMPRO in order to see the most effective way in promotion, going forward,” Mr. Shaw said.
    Mr. Shaw said the strategies will dovetail into larger government led development projects such as the Jamaica Development Infrastructure Programme, the Falmouth cruise ship pier, the revival of the sugar industry and the renewal of downtown Kingston.
    But it is not just old ideas which will be geared to fostering growth.
    The Finance Minister said he will unveil new ideas for growth when he makes his budget presentation in April.
    Those ideas he said, will make 2011 the comeback year for Jamaica's economy.
    “There is no time to waste, I challenge you to retool, refinance, retrain, refurbish and to challenge your teams to develop new products, seek new markets, develop an export programme and most of all maintain a sense of optimism about Jamaica,” he said.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.
Working...
X