Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
    Some recent reggae/dancehall history fi yuh:

Tony Rebel --- Columbia to 1998 that was 1992 imbecile...one album the dropped due to poor sales

Shabba --- Epic to 1998 that was 1991 you imbecile

Spragga --- Capitol to 1998 that was 1995 one album and he was dropped for poor sales

Wayne Wonder --- Atlantic to 2004 one single then dropped due to poor sales

Buju --- Mercury to 2001 that would have been 1993...one album then dropped due to poor sales

Morgan Heritage --- MCA to 2000 that would have been 1994...one album then dropped

Beres --- Elektra to 1999 that would have been 1994....another one and done

Patra --- Epic to 1999 that was 1993 & they took her as a package deal with Shabba...another one and done major label signing

Beenie Man --- Virgin to 2003 try 1998

Is this fool for real? ahahahahaahahahahaha revisionist history...and wow these guys were selling tons of records...i guess that's why they had long and fruitful recording careers on major labels...eeediat...

Comment

Spin like a gig...it is not worse today...artists have simply wised up...Serani had a huge hit in No Games was courted by Atlantic and he declined the contract cause they were trying to rob him like they did so many in the past...bout worse today...man go revise some other history i am not interested in your foolishness...
      Last edited by Bricktop; January 23, 2011, 09:09 AM.

Comment

how so? Isn't it about the music popularity? Other than Sean Paul, The Marleys, Shaggy, Shabba, Super Cat which other reggae act did the International label really push during that time?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Assasin made the claim that one act had a big label contract in the mid- late 1990s....that's false and the info proves it. There was a huge buzz about reggae back then...massive.

Doesn't matter why they were dropped or when. Nowadays virtually no Jamaican act gets any attention from any major label...and reggae is yesterday's news... stale and insipid nonsense for the most part.
          ....suh til yuh ah try sell peeple pon Jolly Boys and some foreigna ah sing bout Billionaire as reggae..LOL!! Man fi fool...but nuh suh

A sample...

Beenie... Undisputed Virgin 2006

Patra... Scent of Attraction Epic 1996

Tony Rebel... Vibes of the Times Columbia 1993

Morgan Heritage... Miracle MCA 1994

Beres... In Control 1994 Elektra

Buju..Til Shiloh Loose Cannon 1995

Not to mention Dancehall Lite...Shaggy & Sean Paul.. in the late 199s to 2005.

....and it's been downhill ever since with nuff clowns and nincompoops as artists and producers...yuh did seh yuh ah one...ah true? LOL!
          Last edited by Don1; January 23, 2011, 09:53 AM.
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

oh...now yuh gone to which acts did they push.... I guess you concede that there were (relatively) many acts signed to big labels back then...yes?

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

How many were signed 15 years ago??? two signed on major label in 1995 and that is a big difference??

One release on a major label in 1996 and you a post that to make what point???? That reggae has lost relative what???
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What is your major malfunction? It is not in a reggae artists best interest to sign with a major in the current climate. Contracts have been offered and these contracts have been declined. Stop living 20 years ago...this is a "new" music business...one struggling to find a new model...those that came before paid the price...exploited by the majors and discarded after failing to meet expectations...

Comment

No because you have no point. talk to me about 15 years ago again?

The same about of act signed then is averaging the same amount signed now. so what is the difference? Sean Paul is still signed, Kymani, nior Gong, Ziggy, Gyptian, Sherine Anderson and others are currenty signed so what is your point by naming one a year?????

Comment

They are signed to what? Where are they charting? How is reggae regarded in the market now versus 10-15 years ago

Fact is the music is suffering from stupid artists and stupid producers and is not in a good place... but things go in cycles

Once some spirituality returns the music will improve... ah suh di ting set

Comment

Serani had a huge hit? What name "huge" to yuh?

5-10 year back huge fi reggae did mean worldwide POP top 10

Joke ting...yuh standard low yute...fi yuh werl small

No Games not only figured high on several charts here in Jamaica, but it reached the number one spot in the British Virgin Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, and St Lucia. It is currently making major moves on the New York Reggae chart.
                      Serani rules! lol
                      Last edited by Don1; January 23, 2011, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Stop your crap and do your research. Naz and junior gong is one of the most popular this year. Franklyn continue to chart and is one of the biggest concert puller in non traditional market. Hold them who you laugh at is one of the big seller of the bigger sellers of the year. Sean Paul is coing out with his album next year.

Comment

Research dun duh arredy...unnu standard low..an unnu get expose

Comment

Huge = breaking into MTV's rotation...you call Beres, Spragga, Morgan Heritage & Tony Rebel name and they have never had a tune played on mainstream US radio much less had a video on MTV...talk about low standards...

Comment

lol yuh ah try yuh bes...
                              Huge = breaking into MTV's rotation
                              das really great! glad fi di yute...

Reggae cyan keep hope alive den

i guess huge is relative

Comment

You have any more dates and facts to make up? 10-15 years ago how many reggae artists were on MTV? Spin cycle finish?

Comment

Working...
                                X