• Show
Clear All

• Hands off, Bruce

Hands off, Bruce

Published: Thursday | January 20, 2011 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

Bert Samuels.

Lawyers warn PM against fiddling with court costs
    Edmond Campbell, Senior Staff Reporter

ATTORNEY-AT-LAW BERT Samuels has upbraided Prime Minister Bruce Golding for suggesting this week that Parliament should consider implementing restrictions on hefty legal costs sought by lawyers.

Golding, who was participating in a debate on dual citizenship Tuesday evening, argued that the high legal costs awarded by the courts could prevent the poor from accessing justice.

"If I have any quarrel, it's about the level of costs that are now emerging out of our court system and I want to warn, Mr Speaker, it is getting out of hand," the prime minister said.

However, Samuels, in a letter to the editor, said the prime minister was looking in the wrong direction.

"Two cheers to you, prime minister, for thinking of the 'poor litigant' at this time but, respectfully, you are barking up the wrong tree. As a leader, we expect you to demand a high level of what Grandma used to say to me - 'Speak the truth and speak it ever, cost you what it may' - from your parliamentarians," Samuels said.

"Can you explain, sir, why, notwithstanding her embarrassing admission in the election petition matter, you have found Miss (Shahine) Robinson a worthy candidate of your party to seek re-election? What do you think young people who wish to serve think about your acceptance of her and the fact that you have elected to take the lawyers to task, rather than Miss Robinson, for misleading us?" he questioned.

Samuels said the prime minister, once more, seemed prepared to tell the judiciary "how to deal with the fruits of judgment to which a successful litigant is entitled against a loser who abused the process of the court and swore to a falsehood to prolong her unconstitutional stay in our Parliament".

Abe Dabdoub, the attorney-at-law who initiated the first dual-citizenship challenge in the courts, warned of no-holds-barred legal warfare in the courts if Golding attempted to introduce strictures on the award of legal costs by the courts.

A strident Dabdoub told The Gleaner yesterday that the prime minister could not intervene in the independence of the judiciary.

"He cannot take away from the judiciary that which is within its purview," Dabdoub declared. "That would lead to a constitutional action in which he would get his nose bloodied and no doubt incur more costs."

The attorney and former parliamentarian made it clear that damages and costs were the purview and discretion of a judge who hears the matter.

"Parliament cannot interfere based on the separation of powers which Mr Golding professes to be an adherent of. He has breached it every step of the way," Dabdoub insisted.

Last night, The Gleaner was unable make contact with representatives from the Jamaican Bar Association for comment.

edmond.campbell@gleanerjm.com

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Is Bruised Gelding the most compromised, hypocritical, low-down creature to ever occupy such a high office in any country in the world?!?

Rhetorical question. Every time he opens his beak he confirms this!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

sounds personal...

Comment

So, Golding is the villan here? At a rate of $30,000 per hour, how many people could afford legal representation in Jamaica? It appears that because unuh have 'feelings' fi Golding unuh tun fool.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

lol...yuh ave "feelings" fi im yuhself
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

mi nuh waan dem deh feelings fi Bruce!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

fiya bun dat!! lol

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

None can replace Joshua innah yuh heart..

Comment

No Gorunds here for you Lazie. What I realize is that no one is listening or even considering anything Bruce has to say because of how he is perceived. While lawyer fees may be high, what has Bruce said about the public being misled by Shahine. Nothing, Until he confronts the issues he has power over, he has no business saying anything to anyone else. Right now Bruce shouldn't even comment on strikes, corrupted officials, perjury, anything. Clean you eye first before you look at others.

Comment

Unfortunately Gelding is now victimized by his inveterate lying & deception

Im run wid it suh dat haffi deal wid it

Comment

No one ?

I must humbly disagree...

Comment

I agree with your disagreemnet. Some still listen, for example yourself and Lazie

Comment

there must be more people than that capable of Critical Thinking...

Come on now...

I am sure Caricom, Babylon and the Region listens.. in fact mi si him get invite to one speak at one big international sinting about regional security...

In fact I would venture to say most anybody that is not a comrade or so inclined would listen..

Comment

Originally posted by Plush View Post
                            No Gorunds here for you Lazie. What I realize is that no one is listening or even considering anything Bruce has to say because of how he is perceived. While lawyer fees may be high, what has Bruce said about the public being misled by Shahine. Nothing, Until he confronts the issues he has power over, he has no business saying anything to anyone else. Right now Bruce shouldn't even comment on strikes, corrupted officials, perjury, anything. Clean you eye first before you look at others.
                            I see that people wanna twist things to fit their agenda last I checked Shahine renounced her citizenship .... The man is talking about the cost of legal representation, people making it out to be about Shahine. If man and man cannot afford legal representation, how are they gonna get justice?

Because you can afford J$30,000 per hour and I can't what you think gonna happen in the long run?
                            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

why not allow market forces to make that determination? OR set up PIL programmes.

legal services is like any other service .... but di bank dem REALLY tief!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X