• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Win for Bartlett

UK might replace vexing tax

Published: Wednesday | January 19, 2011 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

Janet Silvera, Senior Gleaner Writer WESTERN BUREAU:
    [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Tourism[/COLOR][/COLOR] Minister Edmund Bartlett is weighing his hopes on information that the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]United [COLOR=blue! important]Kingdom[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Treasury has informally confirmed the probability of a successor regime to the controversial Air Passenger Duty (APD).
    The APD was introduced in 1994 as a 'green tax', but [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Caribbean[/COLOR][/COLOR] governments believe that it is failing to encourage a shift to lower-carbon travel and, as such, needs to be redesigned. This is based on the premise that the current structure penalises longer journeys which do not have a lower carbon alternative.
    Speaking to journalists at the close of Caribbean Marketplace at the Montego Bay Convention Centre in St James yesterday, Bartlett revealed that Caribbean tourism ministers have been informed that, come March 23, the chancellor of the exchequer in the British government will be making a statement regarding the future of the tax during a UK Budget presentation.
    'Meaningful dialogue'
    He said this was the closest the region has come to any "meaningful dialogue", as there was reluctance for consultations by the UK government.
    Bartlett, Prime Minister Bruce Golding, several tourism ministers from the region, and officials of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation have all travelled to London in the past lobbying for a change in the tax, which has risen 275 per cent above pre-2007 rates for all cabin classes to the Caribbean.
    The last increase took effect November last year, which saw a band of between £75 and £150 being applied to the airline tickets purchased by travellers heading out of London gateways into the Caribbean.
    The announcement that the chancellor of the exchequer was taking the issue to the British government comes days after Golding promised he would not rest until 'justice' was secured in the matter.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

I really hope they pay you, Sass. Di man dem not even announce anyting yet, but you see it as a win for Bartlett.

Yuh great!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Why "unnu" don't leave the man. You nuh see seh him did intend fi put a question sign at the end.
      Last edited by Me; January 19, 2011, 08:39 PM.

Comment

When it come to Bartlett for Sass, there is no question mark. A him hero dat!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

them a go change it. Why new annoncement?

Without a doubt Barlett lead the fight from the caribbean with the other minister of tourism.

You think a mi idol? I might have to consider if he reaches his goal of 5 million tourist by 2013
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Mr Ed ah one bonafide Star... im need im owna TV Show
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

yeah him do him work. Wish more woulda work like him instead of sit and chat.

Comment

idolatry of man is not a healthy preoccupation

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

no worry bout my health, worry bout the health of Jamaica and moving it forward.

Bartlett nuh stop at all. 20 more more private charter from Europe.

Comment

ok...no worries....stay unhealthy... dat ah fi yuh prerogative

but when it get pon mi nerves yuh haffi get karrected fram time to time..ah suh di ting set

Comment

a nuh nothing, a your health mi have fi worry bout. Mi never know mi get pon your nerves.

Yeah man mi know how fi draw out you and Mo.

Comment

nuh yuh get pon mi nerves.... man idolatry

Comment

Working...
                        X