X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fleming airport sign vandalised

Fleming airport sign vandalised

Published: Tuesday | January 18, 2011 8 Comments and 0 Reactions

The Ian Fleming International Airport sign which was defaced. - PHOTO BY CARL GILCHRIST

Carl Gilchrist, Gleaner Writer
    Mayor of Port Maria Richard Creary yesterday condemned the defacement of the sign at the recently opened Ian Fleming Internatinal Airport in Boscobel, St Mary.

Airport workers turned up at the location yesterday morning to see what appeared to be black oil paint splattered across both sides of the sign erected last Tuesday, a day before the airport was officially opened by Prime Minister Bruce Golding.

The sign was later taken down and was expected to be back up after being cleaned.

Creary, who said he only learned of the incident when The Gleaner contacted him, condemned the vandalism.

"I am not in support of such action," Creary said. "I know persons are upset with the way the name (Ian Fleming) was chosen, but defacing the sign is not the answer. There are better ways of getting the message across."

Act of disrespect
    Creary said the defacement was an act of disrespect, not just to the Fleming family, but to the people of the community and parish.

"Two wrongs don't make a right, hence I do not support such action. Persons in St Mary have a better way of expressing themselves," Creary said.

He said while Fleming might not have played a direct role in the development of the area, his work had brought much attention to the parish and should be appreciated.

Creary stunned the audience at the official opening on Wednesday when he said some stakeholders in St Mary felt slighted, and were disappointed, at not being party to the naming of the facility in honour of Fleming, the British author and creator of the James Bond character. Fleming had spent years in nearby Oracabessa penning the novels that later became blockbuster films.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Come on people, down with this bhuttoish behavior/mentality

You don't like the name of the sign, then don't read it!

Find the person(s) responsible and whip their behind. It cost $$ to repair and replace.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

yes, time wi stop di nonsense! if wi nuh like someting wi haffi mash it up! i can think of a few situations when dat might mek sense, but this is not one of them!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        yes, time wi stop di nonsense! if wi nuh like someting wi haffi mash it up! i can think of a few situations when dat might mek sense, but this is not one of them!
        "if wi nuh like someting wi haffi mash it up!"
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

How dem fi name airport afta white man...dem shoulda name it after one of St Mary's favourite sons...Capleton...

Comment

mek sense to who....that is the question..

Comment

to "whom" you troglodyte

Comment

Di ongly people dat have any defensible claim (against the British or di Spanish) to Jamaica are di Arawak.. and dem scare these days..

How Black Man factah innah dis ?

Summady gi wi ?

Maybe dat is why wi suh wasteful and cayliss wi di place.

If Jamaica (di land) had a choice who dem woulda choose..?

Oh dear..

Comment

yuh approve of di 'mek' ?

Comment

whats in a name? I still say MBJ and Palisadoes.

Comment

name it anything. I for one is happy about it. I did an economic paper in 2006 on what would be the benefit of an international airport to this area. I am not sure what a private international airport will do but my hope is they will make it one for commercial planes in the near future. Everything inna that little area have a englishman name. James Bond Beach(mi nuh see them a mash that up), Noel Coward art place, Ian Flemming etc. Them soon name something offa Chris Blackwell too.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

How many towns in Jamaica have African name?

Yuh nuh seeit, if them name it after capleton, the Count Prine Miller fan woulda seh eh caaan gu su. LOL

Comment

Sass, what's the difference between the Ian Fleming Intl Airport and Boscobel Areodrome?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Capleton have him bashment and can rename Islington when him ready.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

More plane a go come in(hopefully) plus it is now an Intl Airport. Nuff a the one a Dominican Republic not bigger than it soo...

Flights from overseas can land and they now have immigration and customs there.

Comment

Working...
                              X