Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• farmer's market!!!!

One-Day Farmers’ Market organized to ease glut

The Agriculture Ministry, in an effort to aid farmers faced with an oversupply of some crops, will be holding one-day markets, in several parishes.
    The ministry says the move should allow farmers to sell crops which they have in excess, to consumers.
    The One-Day Farmers’ Market will be held in six parishes, this Friday, January 21.
    The parishes are St. Ann, St. Mary, St. Catherine, St. Elizabeth, Clarendon, and Manchester.
    The Market will run from nine o’clock in the morning to five o’clock in the afternoon.
    At various centralized locations, farmers will provide members of the public with an opportunity to purchase a variety of crops such as sugar cane, yellow yam, sweet potato, plantain, escallion, thyme, pumpkin, carrot, lettuce, and tomato.
    Agriculture Minister, Dr. Christopher Tufton, says consumers will be able to purchase fresh, high-quality vegetables, at good prices.
    The One-Day Farmers’ Market is part of the ministry's initiative to encourage local consumption through the ‘Eat What We Grow and Grow What We Eat’ campaign.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

i think this is a good idea... btw assasin, have you gone to the farmers market in ga... i usually go to the one in dekalb county... well thats the only one i've been to...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

A short-term attempt at solution for a long term problem....production oriented marketing than the other way around...poor planning...poor distribution system...no or little value-added products....and the list goes on....
      Time to freeze, package, repackage and distribute the farm products...well some of them..

Comment

Look at the mentioned crops:
        sugar cane, yellow yam, sweet potato, plantain, escallion, thyme, pumpkin, carrot, lettuce, and tomato.

Comment

The short term solution does not imply the long term is not being implemented..

Looks like yuh too used tuh di PNP way...

Course change...

Comment

yeah, but still a good solution... those excesses should be heading to some plant for packaging...

btw, i just bought and ate aloe vera in a package... bwoy i neva know seh aloe vera cudda taste suh good... a dem ting deh jamaica fi get inna...

cant get enuff scotch bonnet pepper... mi hear seh it outta season... mi affi settle for the dried packaged scotch bonnet pepper... at least it was out of jamaica... we've got to find ways to increase our food production and be more efficient...

Comment

i do know that the long term solution is being implemented... it has been a little slow and i am not blaming the current govt... this has been something from the past admin...

Comment

nuh worry.. is Exile mi ah try heducate...

Him set pon nightmare mode....

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                  i think this is a good idea... btw assasin, have you gone to the farmers market in ga... i usually go to the one in dekalb county... well thats the only one i've been to...

We live in that market - when I'm in Ga. Think there are 2 - original and a nedda one. what you doing in GA Baddaz
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                    yeah, but still a good solution... those excesses should be heading to some plant for packaging...

btw, i just bought and ate aloe vera in a package... bwoy i neva know seh aloe vera cudda taste suh good... a dem ting deh jamaica fi get inna...

cant get enuff scotch bonnet pepper... mi hear seh it outta season... mi affi settle for the dried packaged scotch bonnet pepper... at least it was out of jamaica... we've got to find ways to increase our food production and be more efficient...
                    OK Baddaz - depending on my crop this year, I'll send you some scotch bonnet peppers. All you have to do is freeze them.
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

yeah man mi go a the dekalb one. The price right. More time a only there I can get ackee for 6.99 a can and them have jackfruit, breadfruit, good fish, yam and a whole heap more for very good price.

Them say the excess is because of the hurricane and the farmers replanted at the same time. I read where they say they are building processing plant to take care of some of the excess. We shoulda have more Ketup, jerk sause etc. Imagine we a import scotch bonnet and cassava.

Hope the farmers them make a money and the hotel them take some offa them. It is a good to see we can produce, now let us find use and more market.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

maybe you can export some to Jamaica

Comment

Tell me when its all solved. Was there a PNP way?

Comment

Whoeeeeeeeeee

Comment

What is this long-term solution?

Comment

Working...
                              X