• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin to provide skills training for Jamaicans

Virgin to provide skills training for Jamaicans
    By INGRID BROWN Observer senior reporter browni@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, January 17, 2011

TOP British-based tour company Virgin Holidays yesterday announced that it will be setting up its Branson Centre for Entrepreneurship for the Caribbean in Montego Bay this June to provide Jamaicans with skills training as well as seed capital to improve on existing small businesses.
    Amanda Wills, managing director of Virgin Holidays, said the company will be spending £2 million (more than $27 million) over the next 10 years to roll out the programme here in Jamaica.
    Wills, who was addressing a press conference at the three-day Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) Marketplace 2011 now underway at the newly constructed Montego Bay Convention Centre at Rose Hall in Montego Bay, said the centre will also have satellites in other Caribbean countries.
    The centre, she added, will contribute positively to the communities and countries in which Virgin Holidays operate.
    "The centre also shows our commitment to the long term sustainability of one of our most important destinations and our support of the Caribbean's primary industry which is tourism," she said
    The centre will cater to participants in the age group 18 to 35 years old, who are already engaged in the small business sector.
    According to Wills, it will seek to target primarily businesses attached to tourism.
    She added that seed capital for participants will vary base on the type of business each individual is operating.
    Meanwhile, Andrew Shelton, marketing director of Virgin Holidays, said they will be looking for partners to come on board to provide additional investment for the programme.
    Lisa Lake and Patrick Casserly will be assisting with the local rollout of the programme.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1BKN3vEXm
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

heh heh!

yuh too outtaordah!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I decided to not take the bait...see u couldn't resist.

Comment

i may need some skills training more dan you!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I was going to say more but forget it.....
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Had a bad experience with them Friday night at a cocktail launch they had at a MoBay hotel.

The local pres turned up but was told on arrival that we cant take any photos as they had their own people there and wanted to 'control the images' further unbeknown to me, my colleagues were told to go stand in a corner and not to mingle with the guests.

When the Gleaner rep sought to talk to the PR guy he was told curtly, "well I never invited you."

By that time I was on the phone with my office when they made some calls and smoothed things out but not before some other feathers being ruffled.

Seems the local branch of the Branson firm invited the local media without telling the people who came over from England hence the stand off.

Later we found out we had one mutual interest...football, most of them were from Liverpool so we gave them hell
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

I always cringe when I hear visitors coming and treat with our local Journalists as if they are a spot on the wall. Too many times our own local event planners dont really plan....glad it worked out...now yu want mi come bax di pr bway?

Comment

them people want make sure their image is protected. Them nuh want you ketch them and Mosiah a role up a big head .

you must be pretty busy with the convention with so many "big wigs" flying in.

Comment

Nah, nothing to do with the convention have my hands full otherwise but I am on stand by just incase
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

had a bad experience wid one too .... don't want to repeat...wait deh ... a wha YOU a talk 'bout?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

oh snap, i ran into this thread thinkin summ'n else

Comment

LOL! You nuh have nobaddy fi sue today?
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Lionpaw View Post
                          oh snap, i ran into this thread thinkin summ'n else
                          And you were soo ready to apply.

Comment

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

to give training ??

Comment

Working...
                              X