• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US States swallow bitter pill of massive cut backs

Budget Worries Push Governors to Same Mind-Set
    By MONICA DAVEY
    Published: January 17, 2011

CHICAGO — The dismal fiscal situation in many states is forcing governors, despite their party affiliation, toward a consensus on what medicine is needed going forward.

The prescription? Slash spending. Avoid tax increases. Tear up regulations that might drive away business and jobs. Shrink government, even if that means tackling the thorny issues of public employees and their pensions.

In years past, new governors have introduced themselves in inaugural remarks filled with cheery, soaring hopes; plans for expansions to education, health care and social services; and the outlines of new, ambitious local projects.

But an examination of more than two dozen opening addresses of incoming governors in recent days shows that such upbeat visions were often eclipsed by worries about jobs, money and budget gaps. Those speeches are the best indication thus far of the intentions of this class of 37 governors — 26 new and the others re-elected.

“The rhetoric has grown very similar,” said Scott D. Pattison, executive director of the nonpartisan National Association of State Budget Officers. “A lot of times, you can’t tell if it’s a Republican or Democrat, a conservative or a liberal.”

In Wisconsin, the new Republican governor, Scott Walker, says that any prospect of a tax increase is off the table, and that he wants to “right-size” state government, meaning, he says, that it would provide “only the essential services our citizens need and taxpayers can afford.”

In California, the new Democratic governor, Jerry Brown, lists as one of his guiding principles (second only to his tenet to “speak the truth”) support for new taxes only if voters want them. And he says it is time to examine the state’s system of public pensions — an increasingly vitriolic political issue in states around the country — to ensure that they are “fair to the workers and fair to the taxpayers.”

Without question, this emerging consensus comes in a wide range of degrees. Exceptions have also emerged.

Here in Illinois, a state that has wrestled with some of the most dire financial circumstances in the country, including some $8 billion in unpaid bills to social services agencies and others and a desperately underfinanced pension system, Gov. Patrick J. Quinn, a Democrat, pledged after renewing his oath of office simply to “stabilize our budget.” Three days later, on Thursday, he did the reverse of what so many governors are urging, and signed a 66 percent increase in the state’s income tax rate.

And in Minnesota, where Gov. Mark Dayton, another Democrat, faces a $6.2 billion deficit and a Legislature controlled by Republicans, he has advocated for a tax increase on the wealthy.

After being sworn in this month, Mr. Dayton told the crowd, “To those who sincerely believe the state budget can be balanced with no tax increase — including no forced property tax increase — I say, if you can do so without destroying our schools, hospitals and public safety, please send me your bill, so I can sign it immediately.” Otherwise, Mr. Dayton said, he hoped his colleagues would work with him on “this challenging, complicated and essential” budget process.

Though public remarks in the moments after being sworn into office may be the first signal of a governor’s true intentions, actual policies can be another matter entirely. Those can depend, not least of all, on the decisions of legislatures. And governors of all political stripes have a tendency to talk tough in their early days.

The difference now, experts say, is that the financial circumstances leave little room to do nothing, and governors will soon be tested on their words — as early as in the next few weeks, when many of them must propose budgets for next year.

Some states seem better off (North Dakota) and others worse (California), but the shared, essential problem in many states is simple: not enough money coming in to pay for all that is going out.

While state revenues — shrunken as a result of the recession — are finally starting to improve somewhat, federal stimulus money that had propped up state budgets is vanishing and costs are rising, all of which has left state leaders bracing for what is next. For now, states have budget gaps of $26 billion, by some estimates, and foresee shortfalls of at least $82 billion as they look to next year’s budgets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/17/us...s.html?_r=1&hp
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

The biggest problem these States have is not what is going on now. It is simply politics why half of them didn't solve their budget imbalance a long time ago.

The unfunded Pension liabilities that exist and that they can't afford to pay unless their investment portfolios start gaining astronomical returns is the biggest problem for these states. The great municipal benefits are goinig to have to cease and some of the benefits that have already been earned are going to have to be slashed even though they were already agreed to.

Comment

how dem bruk and a raise taxes???
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

in other words the chickens have come home to roost

the problems are identical at the federal level....only that the states are required by law not to pursue deficit financing. They don't have the option of printing money or issuing sovereign debt at the drop of a hat like the feds do..

this is a bad situation

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Everybody knows it has to be done, nobody wants to do it on thier watch.

The New Jersey governor, arrogant as he is, seems to have had some success with this. I hope some Democrats follow. They may have no choice.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Why only democrats???

Right now they are talking about cutting social security. Now all a that should be a part of the whole package with the tax cut.

Let me see how right is the center. I am watching the democrats. It is one thing when you cut certain programs but it is another when it is education, health, emergency services etc.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Democrats are generally bigger believers in big government programs than Republicans.

California and New York especially haffe face reality though. The party is over.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Not necessarily, just that they have different priorities. The repub believe in bigger defense, giving breaks to big corps and cutting stuff like social security etc. It so happen that the last three republican presidents have left us with bigger deficits than their democratic counterparts.

Comment

We talking bout deficits or we talking bout govt programs? Two different things.

You could classify the military a govt program but that is not a state level program. We talking bout programs which provide govt benefits. Democrats usually have those high on thier agenda and are less likely to cut them.

Comment

First on the defense I was talking on the national level. On the local level it is it that much better? You notice some of the places that went bancrupt such as long Island, and Orange County Califonia all led by republicans. Look at Arnie. Jersey governor maybe cutting but remember Whitman was governer there as well and she didn't do much cutting. The fact is, it is hard to find good leaders even at the local level. Arnie was the past governor of Califonia and he failed bigtime to cut anything. Some of it is all myth.

Comment

bad situation, but the States are the least of the problem right now. For the most part they all have the ability to solve their issues in a rather simple manner if both set of politicians can agree to stuff. Illinois is in the worst shape of them all. California as bad as they seem, have issues because they needed a 2/3rd majority for the budget, now that is gone and instead they need a 2/3 majority for new taxes.

Local government and municiplalities is where most of the pain will be. Small towns where there are not many people living in the community, but the city manager and friends pay themselves even more than workers inbig cities...corruptiuon all about

The pension stuff down the road is going to be the major killer, just like it was for the detroit automakers. They have these defined benefit plans that simply don't work and they have people spiking the last year of their work with overtime hours in order to boost their pension compensation.

Comment

tru dat....

Comment

Working...
                        X