• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy neighbours a nasty nuisance

Noisy neighbours a nasty nuisance

Published: Friday | January 14, 2011 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

THE EDITOR, Sir:
    Regarding an article about imminent changes to the Noise Abatement Act, I am often led to wonder how Ms 'Babsy' Grange, who is a known music promoter, could be so integrally involved in preparing a paper for submission to Parliament on this matter on grounds that the present legislation is outdated.

I hope this paper will protect citizens, not just the musicians. I see a conflict of interest here, but this is Jamaica, where it appears the victim has no rights and the villain thrives as boldly as the green in our flag.
    As a friend of mine who lives in the Cayman islands commented, the first thing that hits him as he enters our island is the noise. Everyone wants to disturb his neighbour by providing entertainment for them three or four blocks away.

unproductive
    It is no wonder we are so unproductive, as it appears half this country wants to sleep, and the other half sleeps after they have bombarded themselves and us, productive citizens, with their noise till daybreak.
    I had to sell my home to escape this type of behaviour a few years ago, and to say I would kill for a little sanity is mild. I could not spend the holidays at home, as there would be at least three sound systems competing for airtime. I became depressed, asking my friends to put me up.

I hope any proposed amendments to the legislation will not further tempt more people in this land to decide to take the law into their own hands, just to live their life without being discommoded by this barbarism.
    Some of us are living here and we are not asking for very much, except to pay our taxes and get a good night's sleep to recover from the trauma of it.

I am, etc.,
    JOSETT STEELE
    josetts@yahoo.com
    Gregory Park, Portmore St Catherine
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

"i want to distrub my neighbour, 'casue i'm feeling so fine, i want to turn up my disco ...." .....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      "i want to distrub my neighbour, 'casue i'm feeling so fine, i want to turn up my disco ...." .....
      And I'm gonna turn my water hose over my fence, pon your house
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

a nuh mi seh suh...a bob seh suh!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Wha do you Sis. Cayman nuh produce nuh Bob Marley or Sean Paul.

Them fi have designated places especially on weekend where music fi lick. Them must can find a few places a Caymanas, Golden Spring and St.Thomas that it nah go trouble nobody where music can play till 4 am on the weekend.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            a nuh mi seh suh...a bob seh suh!
            But a yuh a sing it to me now, when mi waan sleep
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              Wha do you Sis. Cayman nuh produce nuh Bob Marley or Sean Paul.

Them fi have designated places especially on weekend where music fi lick. Them must can find a few places a Caymanas, Golden Spring and St.Thomas that it nah go trouble nobody where music can play till 4 am on the weekend.

Bus Sass dem nuh haffi tun it up, so dat it a palpitate eena yuh CHEST. In 2009, I stayed @ Wyndham, and every friggin night dem had a pool party (it seemed to me) wid loud music that lasted till daylight.
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Is two things. The places need to be sound proof and then there should be disturbance laws if it is too loud but we must can work something out.

When you stay at hotels and go their disco, the music blasting but once you are outside you can't hear a thing. This should be the standard for certain parties.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Lack of regard for the neighbour and neighbourhood reign... an if yu mek a fuss is yu wrang!

The mentality is jus like when two man stop inna miggle road fi chat an traffic back up... if you blow yuh hawn, it mean yu anti-social and have no patience... you are the problem...
                  Peter R

Comment

Working...
                  X