No announcement yet.

Fortes en Fide et Opere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That said; I think the prudent thing to do is to ask why. Yes?

Comment

don't time to waste wid you today...maybe another time...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

It's okay I will indulge you (consider it a new year's gift

It's an open secret that most of the students at Campion come homes with income that is above average in Ja. This spells a "half the battle is won"story for teachers. These students are from homes that would encourage education and at the same time not worry where the next meal is coming from. Males will not have to worry about political violence or threats from bullying gangs, females not have to worry about having sex at an early age (thirteen or so) "because dem look good" hence you get a better student in the end.

What Ja needs across the board is sociolgists combing the island checking the home life of most students that come from the general population. This way the MOE can get a feel of the numbers in terms of nutrition and other factors that hinders learning. At the same time all teachers regardlesss of their speciality should do three semesters of calculus (desperate times call for desperate measures) before graduating teachers' college.

Comment

@ Jawge

So isn't it full time that the other parents/guardians in Jamaica start encouraging education in their homes? Ah mean - you can't blame the Campionites fi dat!

Years ago - parents/guardians, no matter how POOR they were, and many were dirt poor - couldn't even afford shoes (yuh eva hear about board slippers & sampata [ask your elders]), but they encouraged their kids to "tek book learning", because they expected them to amount to SOMETHING in society. Too many now in society don't have any expectation or aspiration of their offsprings.

Dis breeding ting need to STOP (in fact some of them should be arrested for having children ).

I will admit that there are discrepancies in the educational system and some are more disadvantaged. However; the people who have children need to show interest in their welfare. Instead of buying the bleaching cream and the new outfit for passa passa, dem need fi get them priorities straight and invest in their children's education - books and all the tools them need fi learning. It can still be done, no matter what circumstances them live under.
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Ah one toppa top school from long time, big up Campion. Membah when mi use to pass it ah come from di east fi guh ah Papine, kyar line up way dung di ole hope road. Ah peer high grade student dem deal wid wehdah uptown or dung town. Big up to di Campion ah bun di edimication fiyah said way.

Comment

thnak yuh sah ... jeremiah davy ... jerry d is campion alum ... ask him whether him is from uptown yadda yadda yadda .... he is not alone ..... alric (from alric and boyd fame) is another person ..... there are many many more who are not from that uptown background...in fact maudib mentioned on here several years ago someone who we knew from an uptown background who was walking the streets panhandling.

point is that it is a VERY good school and whatever walk of life that you are from or whatever your situation, attendance at the school can be a huge plus because of the quality of education to be received there.

ongle manning cup cup and champs lef fi conquer now!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

There is no denying that parents play a big role in a child's education (which I spoke of in an implicit manner). At the same time one has to look at other forces that comes into play. The fact that we are in a media driven age (demand for talent is more and everything is more competitive) and the kids are constantly bombarded with huge amount of info. If we now factor in the present economic situation of Ja, brewed with the issue of crime, and political violence my argument is even more clear.

To amplify my point: Would Deika Morrison (sorry, only public Campion female I know) make it to Campion and beyond if she was born in a garrison community?

Comment

therein in lies your problem! with a sample size on ONE yuh reach a conclusion!!!

Comment

and whilst your doing cartwheels, read where I said "most Campion students". Thanks.

Comment

Okay name me another Campion female since you want to play the numbers game. Careful now.

Comment

i don't know any. by default yuh know more of dem dan dan mi.

Comment

We are losing each other here. I clearly stated that I only knew one. Did you miss that? Good move though, glad you didn't throw caution to the win.Exit strategy poor though

Comment

So Jawge - tek the Campion model and run wid it nuh!

I have 3 cousins who graduated Campion - (might not come from your so-termed garrison), but they were raised by a struggling single mother, whose focus and priority for her kids was for them to get an education!
                            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                            - Langston Hughes

Comment

That is why I mention math education for all teachers at college. I see that campion has a strong teaching faculity (now put that with students from an enivronment that supports learning and the rest is what Ben is posting).

Quick question BTW (to answer 3 cousins statement) Are the majority students at campion from the general population of Ja? Thanks.

Comment

general population, who dat??

Comment

Working...
                                X