X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War

Honduran diplomatic row over fisherman’s death

2011-01-10 13:05:20 | (0 Comments)

The government is this afternoon expected to disclose its official position on the incident on Friday in which Jamaican Coastguards opened fire on a Honduran vessel reportedly killing its captain and injuring two other crew members.

The Coast Guard says it attempted to intercept and board the vessel believed to be illegally fishing on the banks of the Pedro Cays and during the process, two Honduran crewmen were injured.

However Honduran officials are upset over the incident calling the action by the Coast Guard an excessive use of force if the crime was illegal fishing.

Agriculture Minister Dr Christopher Tufton said he has already been briefed by Coast Guard officials and is expected to discuss the matter further with his colleagues at today’s Cabinet meeting.

Dr Tufton told The Gleaner/Power106 news earlier this morning that the Government will disclose its official position on the matter later today.

Head of the Honduran Navy Rear Admiral Juan Pablo Rodriquez told Tegucigalpa’s HRN radio station in Honduras that he has encouraged the Foreign Affairs Ministry in his country to file the highest level protest with the Jamaican Government.

However, Dr Tufton said Jamaican Coast Guard applied the international rules of engagement after appeals to stop the vessel were ignored by the crew.

He did not give details of what action was taken by the coast guard.

Dr Tufton insisted that the Honduran crew sought to evade the Jamaican coast guard after several attempts were made to gain access to the Honduran vessel.

He said the crew on the vessel which was fishing in Jamaican waters ignored instructions from the Jamaican Coast Guard to stop.

Dr Tufton said the catch was valued at more than $10 million.

The agriculture minister said Honduran fishermen plunder the fishing resources of Jamaica on a weekly basis.

He acknowledged that a meeting will have to be held between the Jamaican and Honduran authorities in an attempt to resolve the issue.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Another mess-up by the Golding regime.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

how so? Them man yah thief we fish bad.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Brown Man nuh ramp... wi nuh fraid ah Hectorrrrrr...

Comment

Working...
        X