X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady T passed away in her sleep

US soul singer Teena Marie dies at 54

Teena Marie performed on tour last year
    The Grammy-nominated American soul singer Teena Marie has been found dead at her California home at the age of 54, her manager has said.
    Teena Marie often worked with funk legend Rick James with hits such as Lovergirl and Fire and Desire.
    Teena Marie, who was born Mary Christine Brockert and also used the moniker Lady T, was a rare white artist on the Motown label when she was signed in the late 1970s.
    She won four Grammy nominations.
    Huge respect
    Publicist Jasmine Vega and manager Mike Gardner confirmed her death.
    Continue reading the main story “Start Quote
    I'm a black artist with white skin. At the end of the day you have to sing what's in your own soul”
    End Quote Teena Marie
    Mr Gardner said Teena Marie had apparently died in her sleep at her home and was found by her daughter.
    When she signed to Motown, it was reportedly worried of a fan backlash to the white star and her image did not appear on her first album for the label, Wild and Peaceful.
    Her second album carried her photograph after fears of a rejection by fans proved unfounded.
    She became hugely respected by the black audience and was dubbed the "ivory queen of soul"."
    "I'm a black artist with white skin. At the end of the day you have to sing what's in your own soul," she said in a 2009 interview.
    The singer left Motown in 1982 and six years later scored her only US R&B chart number one hit single Ooo La La La, elements of which appeared in the Fugees song entitled Fu-Gee-La a decade later.
    Teena Marie returned to the spotlight with a comeback album in 2004, and and landed one of her Grammy nominations a year later in the best R&B female vocal performance category.
    In an interview with the Associated Press last year, the performer said that she had beaten an addiction to prescription drugs and was going on tour to support Congo Square, which was to become her last album.
    It reached the top 20 on the US album chart.
    In the UK, her biggest hit single came in 1980 with Behind The Groove, which reached number six.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Fire and Desire...her duet with Rick James was the bomb
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

I love some of her stuff. "Oh La la la" id also a good one
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

so many of them! she will be missed!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Ah mi girl gaan, wicked piecah voice dat. Sad fi hear dis.

Comment

one of the most distinctive voice in r&b... can never mistake her with anybody else... definitely made her mark and commanded respect in the biz... most certainly will be missed... may her soul rest in peace...
            'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

portuguese love is anedda one....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
              X