X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting

5, 2009
    Black American vs. African American

Posted by Hollis333 under 2009, Opinion, United States | Tags: 2009, African American, america, Black American, Ethnicity, Race, race pride, United States, White American |
    [4] Comments
    By Luther Hollis

In the age of political correctness, the title of black American was replaced with African American. Plain and simple, I’m black. That in no way takes from the family culture and history that hails from Africa; it simply affords me the self-identity that represents reality.
    White folks aren’t addressed as European-Americans; no, they say they are American. So why should we be alienated just as foreigners are?
    And don’t think it’s about taking pride in cultural roots. There’s the saying that goes, “It’s not where you’re from, but where you’re at.” I was born in Inglewood, California, and I’ve lived in America my entire life. Even going through my family tree, I have Choctaw Indian, French Canadian and an unknown African affiliation. But to the passerby I see on the street, I’m black at first sight, and black American when heard.
    My great, great grandfather, Dennis Hollis was one of the founders of Grambling State University. My grandfather, Tee Hollis was kidnapped around the Hugo, Oklahoma area by Bonnie and Clyde, and released once across the Red River that divides Oklahoma and Texas. I’m an American who happens to be black, with deeps root in America.
    After a few generations, in my opinion, one becomes American. Whether Russian, Chinese, Israeli, Colombian, Australian or any other ethnicity. Again, this doesn’t mean people forget their roots and history.
    Living in South Florida, I interact with many “Haitian-Americans.” Many of them identify themselves as Haitian because they are from Haiti – born there Haitian. The same goes for Cubans, Guatemalans, Jamaicans, and other Caribbean/central America natives.
    The point is, that I refuse to be corralled into a subcategory of “American”; it seems to continue the divisiveness that separates America at its core. When American citizens travel to foreign countries, they are Americans; not black, brown, yellow, or white – Americans.
    Anyway, that’s just my two pennies. Black American pennies.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

It's a famliar stance... we have it in Jamaica (and the caribbean too)...e.g. we talk about "chinese-jamaican" don't we? In TT they definitely use the terms Indo-Trinidadian and Afro-Trinidadian in many contexts. There are some instances where the distinction makes sense, others it shouldn't matter.

Some folks refuse to categorise themselves... mongrel dog lakka mi cud hongle be "Jamaican"
    Peter R

Comment

that is a recent thing influenced by our exposure to the us .... in the 1980's when i was faced for the first time with an application that included ethnicity ... i wrote in "jamaican" because i had never been faced with those categories before

same thing with black history month

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Its a bit misleading when they say that white people don't use the term European-Americans. OK they do not use that term but a large numbers of them use the terms Irish-American (some say Irish-Catholic) and Italian-American, and its really no different.

African American to me defines an ethic-cultural group just like those do. The only time I have an issue with it is when it is used as a strictly racial category on govt forms, etc.

I agree with the view that it is sometimes overdone though. Americans especially like to break just about every survey out along racial and ethnic lines.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

well, it has gone from negro, to so-called negro to afr american to black to african american. there was a movement about 20 years ago by black american who decided that THEY would be the ones who determine their classification and out of that came the term african american.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

You forget "coloured". Some a dem inna the South still use dat when dem talk bout we.

Me nuh know if you hear bout the Mississippi governor who was quoted recently in an interview saying that the civil rights era wasn't all that bad or something like that. Him mean it wasn't all that bad for HIM.

And him is one of them planing to run for president in 2012. Ah bwoy.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
            X