Convention center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convention center

Montego Bay Convention Centre On Pace to Open for Caribbean Marketplace 2011
    • Oct 06, 2010
    • By: Joe Pike
    • TravelAgentCentral

MONTEGO BAY, Jamaica – It was a bold move when the Jamaica Tourist Board announced earlier this year that it will host Caribbean Marketplace 2011 at the Montego Bay Conference Centre, which only broke ground in mid-March of last year.

Proclaiming to have what is expected to be the largest conference center in all of the Caribbean ready in under two years was a bold move, but after a recent visit to the site, Travel Agent can vouch that the JTB’s claim appears to be accurate.

As part of our coverage of Jamaica’s recently concluded Wish You Were Here Education Series, Travel Agent had the opportunity to tour the 35-acre area that will house this giant of center.

Although we were first doubtful when we saw the exterior, which was basically mounds of dirt and a few scattered ditches, we were convinced the facility would be ready when we stepped inside and found everything from finished marble floors to hand-designed pillars throughout every room in this facility.

The building, in fact, is about 70-80-percent completed with only trees and other landscaping needed to be complete. The center will provide more than 50,000 square feet of exhibition space, more than 20,000 square feet of banquet facility and more than 11,000 square feet of meeting space.

And what better time to unveil it than that at one of the Caribbean’s most important trade shows, ‘Caribbean Marketplace 2011,’ a three-day event, organized by the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA). It will be held from January 16 -18.

“Caribbean Marketplace is often called the Caribbean’s most important trade show and any destination that hosts it usually benefits greatly from it,” says JTB Director of Tourism John Lynch. “So, we are really excited to show off the convention center during this time.”

The center will open by December 15, but there will still be some minor work that will need to be completed. It is expected to be fully operational by January 31. The facility is on land opposite the Shoppes at Rose Hall (between the Half Moon Golf Course and Rose Hall Great House) and is aimed at strengthening Jamaica’s participation in the growing groups and convention market.

“We don’t just think this will be the best conference center in the Caribbean, we think this will be the best conference center in the world,” Allan Gotting, consultant for the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association, told Travel Agent. “And we think people will agree when they see it with their own eyes.”

Visit www.visitjamaica.com.
    Last edited by Karl; December 18, 2010, 01:55 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

http://www.udcja.com/Fact%20Sheet/Fa...oBayConCnt.pdf
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Thanks Sass. I made a quick trip down a few weeks ago and noticed that it was not quite finished but seemed to be close. It looks impressive from the outside.

It opens up a lot of possibilities for MoBay if it get utilized well. Jamaica has so much potential bwoy.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

If advertised in the right places we can "nice up di dance" and "bottle and cork sell off".

WE need to be in business publishing, and to huge christian groups amongst others. These are also the kind of guests who will stay locally and visit other places around Mobay and its sorrounding. A wonder what Jawge would say? Then again he is wary about anything build by Chinese.

Comment

And MoBay is so close to the US mainland, many groups would potentially consider going there if the price is competitive.

This is where we have a clear advantage over most of the Caribbean. Close proximity AND English speaking.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

yes but can also be an attraction for some European based companies. Some of them that fet top performer, clients etc. On the local side we need to line up some clasic entertainment for this center so when people leave they are not only impressed with the tiles and ceiling.

Comment

and it can also be a white elephant if wi not careful!

lovely place, looks pretty much like the artist's rendition you put up. it is huge! we must market it properly though because it will not be a case of "build it and they will come".

i think they may need to do something with the highway to allow for minimal interruption with those not attending functions over there.

tremendous potential!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"and it can also be a white elephant if wi not careful!"

very true.

It going to be an interesting year for tourism.

Comment

What I find ironic is how much White Elephant born during Black Man Time...

Comment

dis one was born during BMT too!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

what was? the idea.

yes there has been a tourism master plan but not a lot of action.

Comment

Anybody can impregnate...

Carrying to Term and delivering a healthy baby... diffrant ting dat..

Comment

Working...
                        X