X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who fi pay fi mi brethren house?

Rain destroys house in West Portland

Published: Saturday | December 18, 2010 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

A section of a house at Windsor, which collapsed after heavy rains pelted Portland yesterday. - PHOTO BY GARETH DAVIS

Gareth Davis, Gleaner Writer WINDSOR, [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Portland[/COLOR][/COLOR]:
    TWO RESIDENTS of Windsor in west Portland are now homeless after a section of their four-bedroom house collapsed following torrential rains which pelted the eastern parish yesterday.
    It was a narrow escape for 58-year-old Trevor Moore, one of the persons who was occupying the house early yesterday morning.
    "I was lying in bed during the heavy rainfall, but decided to run an errand," Moore told The Gleaner yesterday. "I had just got back when I heard a rumbling and other strange sounds, and shortly after, a section of the house tumbled over. Water from the roadway also flooded the house long before a section of the house broke away."
    Moore, who is a tenant at the house, said since work was completed on the roadway, which is close to the house, flooding has occurred every time there is a heavy downpour.
    Owner of the house, Patrick Barker, said he spoke with one of the engineers about the possible danger posed to the dwelling during the construction of the roadway several months ago. However, Barker said he was ignored, despite a passionate appeal to the contractors.
    "I was shunned. I was told in no uncertain manner that I am not an engineer, and they are the experts, therefore, I should not interfere with their work. Repeatedly, I tried to get them to listen, but it was to no avail," said Barker.
    He added: "They had in fact replaced the original outlet where the water from a particular drain flowed freely. And by doing that, they also channelled a waterway directly into my property, which eroded the earth over a period of time."
    According to the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management, flooding was also reported in Buff Bay, Orange Bay, and Hart Hill.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Insurance, or pass the hat?
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Well if him can really prove that the roadway cause some of the flooding, me would get a lawyer. Him betta tek nuff picture.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

if he has the right lawyer he can prove it. There is a water run off between his property and the one next door. There has never been any form of flooding or land slippage anywhere there before the new road and there is no flooding there.

Patrick said he has complained to the authority since the new road that ran right on top of property. I hope the house was insured but these people shouldn't get away with messing up the man house. Hopefully the authorities and MP deal with it regardless of the politics of the MP, councillor and the the Barker family.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Same ting wha mi sey lang time ago, yuh have so-called engineers who do not have a clue about civil engineering. A so Jamaica set..............
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

This is a quote direct quote.

"When they were working on the road they went ahead and remove the wall without consent and then they left ... we all contacted the Govt. at various times and still nothin...g was done so lets see."

Comment

Working...
            X