Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama gets his way, Dems wise up to reality

and support the bill.

The liberal base will get Dont Ask Dont Tell repealed before the end of the year and that will soften them up.

Obama is playing some serious dominoes with a VERY difficult hand. I expect his approval rating to start heading back towards 50% in the first half of the new year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bill preventing big tax hikes heads to Obama

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A massive bipartisan tax package preventing a big New Year's Day tax hike for millions of Americans is on its way to President Barack Obama for his signature.

The measure would extend tax cuts for families at every income level, renew jobless benefits for the long-term unemployed and enact a new one-year cut in Social Security taxes that would benefit nearly every worker who earns a wage.

In a remarkable show of bipartisanship, the House gave final approval to the measure just before midnight Thursday, overcoming an attempt by rebellious Democrats who wanted to impose a higher estate tax than the one Obama agreed to. The vote was 277-148, with each party contributing an almost identical number of votes in favor (the Democrats, 139 and the Republicans, 138).

In a rare reach across party lines, Obama negotiated the $858 billion package with Senate Republicans. The White House then spent the past 10 days persuading congressional Democrats to go along, providing a possible blueprint for the next two years, when Republicans will control the House and hold more seats in the Senate.

"There probably is nobody on this floor who likes this bill," said House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md. "The judgment is, is it better than doing nothing? Some of the business groups believe it will help. I hope they're right."

Rep. Dave Camp, R-Mich., said that with unemployment hovering just under 10 percent and the deadline for avoiding a big tax hike fast approaching, lawmakers had little choice but to support the bill.

"This is just no time to be playing games with our economy," said Camp, who will become chairman of the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee in January. "The failure to block these tax increases would be a direct hit to families and small businesses."

Sweeping tax cuts enacted when George W. Bush was president are scheduled to expire Jan. 1 -- a little more than two weeks away. The bill extends them for two years, placing the issue squarely in the middle of the next presidential election, in 2012.

The extended tax cuts include lower rates for the rich, the middle class and the working poor, a $1,000-per-child tax credit, tax breaks for college students and lower taxes on capital gains and dividends. The bill also extends through 2011, a series of business tax breaks designed to encourage investment that expired at the end of 2009.

Workers' Social Security taxes would be cut by nearly a third, going from 6.2 percent to 4.2 percent, for 2011. A worker making $50,000 in wages would save $1,000; one making $100,000 would save $2,000.

"This legislation is good for growth, good for jobs, good for working and middle class families, and good for businesses looking to invest and expand their work force," said Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner.

Some Democrats complained that the package is too generous to the wealthy; Republicans complained that it doesn't make all the tax cuts permanent.

Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite, R-Fla., called it "a bipartisan moment of clarity."

The bill's cost, $858 billion, would be added to the deficit, a sore spot among budget hawks in both parties.

"I know that we are going to borrow every nickel in this bill," Hoyer lamented.

At the insistence of Republicans, the plan includes an estate tax that would allow the first $10 million of a couple's estate to pass to heirs without taxation. The balance would be subject to a 35 percent tax rate.

Many House Democrats wanted a higher estate tax, one that would allow couples to pass only $7 million tax-free, taxing anything above that amount at a 45 percent rate. They argued that the higher estate tax would affect only 6,600 of the wealthiest estates in 2011 and would save $23 billion over two years.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., called the estate tax the "most egregious provision" in the bill and held a vote that would have imposed the higher estate tax. It failed, 194-233.

Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., said he thought the White House could have gotten a better deal.

"When I talk to the Republicans they are giddy about this bill," he said.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

This was always going to pass. The fact is that like it or not Obama flipped on the Democratic base as he championed raise the rate for the rich right through the summer. He gave it away without consulting many in his base and not much gotten from the Republicans in return.

The base thought it was a good opportunity for the President to stand up to the repubs. Now let us see what is going to happen in the budget and how much Obama going to cave in to the republicans who are coming with the axe for social security, medicare, Healthcare, education and others.

Now they are going to point to a even bigger deficit.

Let us see because this is one interesting year ahead.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What he got is a chance to win back the independent voters which he needs to be re-elected.

This bill has been very popular with independents, not least because it give the impression of bipartisian support engineered by the president, one of the big promises he made. What you see as caving in the center sees as compromise.

The base not very happy but once Plain and Gingrich start running them mouth they will come home. Plus like I said if he can deliver the repeal of Don't Ask Dont Tell that will be a big deal.

Is politricks this name, Obama is not a messiah as some people believed, just a good politician with some good intentions.

Anyway the Dems were not interested in reducing the deficit so them wasn't winning any friends with that argument. Them was willing to pass a trillion dollar spending bill FULL of pork but did not have the votes. I say give me my money mek me spend it.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

you can't say all Dems are not interested in reducing the deficit. That is a republican talk point. Some dems are.

Again can you show me one comprimise from the Republicans on this? other than giving long term unemployment which had to happen anyway.

The fact is Obama is smart no doubt but is he going to be a populus and forget many of the things he championed? The left feel like he abondon them on too many issues including energy, public option, immigration, Tax cut for the rich and others. Cutting the deficit is a major point for indepents so let us see what going to be cut at the expense of tax cut for the rich as the Repubs come with their axe.

All I can say is Obama better stand up as the repubs are energised as while we think that he is the only one playing chess, they think he will abondon all his principle if they pressure him.
        Last edited by Assasin; December 17, 2010, 09:14 AM.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I am saying as a group in Congress they are no more interested than the Republicans in reducing the deficit. Individuals on both sides are.

We will just disagree on the tax cuts, I support most of them being extended except the estate tax and a few others. I MUCH prefer it to the pork barrel spending, at least I know I get something out of it.

One thing is sure, an energised base without the center is a CERTAIN way to a big defeat. Obama knows this and is making some other calculations.

Comment

no obama is not a messiah but to be able to play the hand he was dealt the way he has ..... BRILLIANT! how many of the recent presidents could have inherited what he did and dealt with it the way he has!

popularity thing goes up and down day to day week to week but he has really kept an eye on the big picture.

i am impressed.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

"We will just disagree on the tax cuts, I support most of them being extended except the estate tax and a few others. I MUCH prefer it to the pork barrel spending, at least I know I get something out of it. "

I know you don't really mean this. The goal for all of us is to stop pork barrell spending and but to preserve social security, medicare and those are also important subjects as well that will affect us all whether in the long are short run.

All I know Obama going to have to stand up to the republicans and fight at some stage and he better be prepared even if it means not pandering to everybody. fact is he is going to have to deal with the tax cut in two years time in the election, what is is going to say then? It is a big risk if you ask me. Is he going to raise the taxes then? or put it off again? Will the indepents be with him then? Let us see.

Comment

yuh nuh si seh he is arming himself with ammunition to fight dem ... in fact i suggest that they (the repubs) will fight his fight for him and make his job easier when cometh crunch time!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

we will see G. My big disappointment with Obama is so far he has choose not to stand up to them in anyway, the liberal has be lock stock behind Obama and his cronies, and have overlooked somethings, but take it for granted now as the mood is changing and he better not just play games as we know where a lot of the support comes from. He is losing key suppot with some influencial groups who feels he is not a fighter.

Comment

fight fi fight sake...naw. but trust me, when it matters he will be well armed...in fact he might be so well armed it will like the repubs taking a knife to a gunfight!

Comment

we will see.

Comment

A dat me say too . There are many ways to fight and many weapons you can use.

Where many see tactical weakness in the short term I see a longer game plan. You don't run a master campaign like he did 2 years ago and then suddenly get out of touch with what people are thinking. Obama is NOT weak, he picks his battles carefully.

I just think Sass underestimates the difficulty of what he needs to do to get re-elected.

Comment

I am serious. I believe govts have a natural tendency to spend and spend until there is no more to spend and then they borrow and borrow. Some of it is spent well, a lot of it is totally wasted.

Thats why I rate Bill Clinton. When him say welfare must reform all the liberals start run up and down and say how poor people a go suffer and starve, and is a big mistake. They were dead WRONG.

Obama will campaign on a platform to raise some of the taxes like estate tax and over 250K income tax, the Repugs will campaign to keep them and they will LOSE that argument once the economy has improved enough. The 2 year extension was quite deliberate.

Comment

Love it, haffi wuk wid dem kah wi know dem plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                              A dat me say too . There are many ways to fight and many weapons you can use.

Where many see tactical weakness in the short term I see a longer game plan. You don't run a master campaign like he did 2 years ago and then suddenly get out of touch with what people are thinking. Obama is NOT weak, he picks his battles carefully.

I just think Sass underestimates the difficulty of what he needs to do to get re-elected.
                              i think sass is like mrs gamma, they want him to do well so much so that they are extra nervous and take on every little thing ...... look at how he dealt with the issues that arose on the campaign...did he deal with them when people were on him to or did he time it right and invariably came up with the right answer?

i WANT him to have a difficult time so that he can show his true mettle!

and you are right on point

Comment

Working...
                              X