RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So a sales-associate shipped a package....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So a sales-associate shipped a package....

...for a Jamaican lady.

Minutes later the lady returned--telling me that the associate typed in the incorrect street name for the address.

I looked at the address as the lady pointed out that 'arbor Drive should be Harbor Drive.

I smiled...recalling a previous incident where a Jamaican guy came to ship a 'hair-bag. The attending associate looked perplexed--trying to figure out what was a 'hair-bag.....

He wants to ship an air-bag ( for a car) I sad I told the associate.
    Last edited by HL; December 16, 2010, 03:36 PM.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

woooops..................please relocate.

Thanks in advance

HL

Comment

customer the or YOUR associates ?
      Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

...Jamaican customer.

The store associate is not Jamaican....

Some Jamaicans will leave the 'h' off .... or add 'h' on words.

air-bag will be hair-bag

house will be 'ouse

...and so on

HL

Comment

Americans frequently ask me why Jamaicans pronounce "three" as "tree". I generally tell them that I do not know, I am not from Kingston.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

ironically the french exhibit the same propensity for aspirating ... curious

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

the english, irish and maybe even the scots do the same thing.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I would ask dem why dem pronounce pocketbook and bathroom as "paaketbook" and "byaathroom"
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

But HL won't notice those things. To him, Americans don't have accents.

And ASPHALT is not ASHPHALT! Unless you are really homophobic!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What kind of car does Tarzan drive? .... a tree two tree... LOL I think
                    Peter R

Comment

You must 'ave ' eard dis when you was a school

Student: teacha, arry tek a amma an it mi in mi ead!
                      Teacher: yu mus hemphasize your haitches yu hignorant hass
                      Peter R

Comment

pronunciation which has regional, national differences is one thing...

I think it was Paul M who told me years ago he sent a fax to Jamaica, called the recipient to ask if it was legibile... the reply was "it is fine"... so he thought that was the end of that... turns out the recipient couldn't read it because the font was too small, "fine",...

i thought that was a funny story, i don't know if the delay "cost' anything but accurate communication is a hell of a thing, even when being "correct".
                        Peter R

Comment

That is true. One of the things I didn't realise until I starting living in the US is that when they use "a couple" as in "a couple of tickets" they specifically mean 2 while we generally mean "a few". It caused me a few problems until I figured it out.
                          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

i don't weant to tell the loks i got when i asked a yute in lab to borrow his rubber (eraser)...he looked at me funny so i said "don't worry, i will give it back to you when i'm done!" .... is dat time him gi mi a scornful look!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Look mosiah...Just leave me lek me twang....

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X