• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The shameful 'secret' behind the Herald's ownership

The shameful 'secret' behind the Herald's ownership

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dear Editor,
    For some unknown reasons, the Sunday Herald refuses to disclose the names of its owners. Don't you find it strange, Mr Editor?

Peter Bunting and Rev Garnett Roper

Peter Bunting and Rev Garnett Roper

1/1

A newspaper which prides itself on digging up dirt against its perceived enemies cannot say who its shareholders are. That causes me to wonder. How can you claim the moral authority to call for transparency in government and national life, but not hold yourself to that same standard? Unless they can provide the public with information that states otherwise, I strongly believe that the reason for the Herald's silence is that all its shareholders are members of the People's National Party.

We know from what has already been published, although not confirmed by the newspaper, that the PNP general secretary Mr Peter Bunting is a key figure behind the Herald and that it is fronted by its chairman.the well known PNP activist Rev Garnett Roper.

That by itself might not be a bad thing, that the PNP owns the paper. But the question is, why are they ashamed to say so? Why is that secret being so jealously guarded?

I make reference to my letter that was kindly published in the Sunday Observer, in which I said the Herald was a mouthpiece for the PNP. If you had any doubt, all you need to do is read the current issue of the Herald. Look at how they treat Danny Williams, one of the greatest sons of Jamaica and a man with utmost integrity who has worked hard for this country, by suggesting that he was in some kind of secret deal over the Sandals Whitehouse hotel. Only politicians operate that way.

The paper is willing to sacrifice Mr Williams for the political interest of the PNP, even though he once served that very party when he rose to become minister of industry in the time of Mr Michael Manley. At the same time, they conveniently forget to address the matter of the estimated US$40 million cost overrun on the hotel during the tenure of the PNP, much of which probably ended up in certain people's pockets.
    Anthony Jefferson

anjef112@aol.com

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Nothing new? Add MArk Golding to the list. Mosiah, help dem pay fi dem internet service nuh? Or dem nuh find nothing fi dig up suh dem gone off line?

http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/s...72&postcount=1
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Is there something we do not know about registtration of

companies and where to unearth the information?

...or is it in Jamaica the JLP has shut down the ability to seek information from "The Registrar of Companies" for that particular company?

btw -
      http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...ay-Herald-sold
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Are you very naive or playing the fool?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Karl,

Why yuh put up wid di foolishness?
          Same way yuh cuss the labourite dem fi support the slackness of their peeps, and den yuh tun round support PNP slackness.

JLPNP will always have nuff slackness that impartial people will abhor!

Comment

Well sarry to inform yuh but a suh it set pan yah yuh nevah know dat yet, criticize ah nex man an hug up yuh own, nuh mattah how wrong him bi. Membah "yeye nevah seh look yah it always seh look ah yondah".

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              Are you very naive or playing the fool?
              Do not understand?
              What do you think I am naive on or about...or playing the fool on?

My question is why would not this person not just get the info from the Registrar of Companies? That is where I go when I would like to find out who is the person or the persons behind a company?

Never failed me!

Comment

Because this amongst other things was posted on here. The tax department amongst others even disputed if it was sold.

The Tax Administration Services Department on Thursday seized assets at the Sunday Herald as it seeks to collect unpaid taxes.
                This is not the first time that the Sunday Herald has found itself in trouble, with the Tax Department.
                When the tax collectors swooped down on the Norwood Road office of the Herald on Thursday, they confiscated several items including about 20 office chairs, a fax machine, three computers and a photocopier.
                The items were not removed from the premises but were brought to a "quarantined" area.
                The tax administrators explained that they have changed the locks on the door and will be keeping the keys.
                Gladston Turner, Leader for the Inland Revenue Special Enforcement Team, did not want to say exactly how much money the Sunday Herald owes the Government but he noted that it is millions of dollars.
                "We visited premises at 17 Norwood Avenue where there's a company operating (there) owes taxes. We were not able to collect the monies so we did a constructive levy, we seized the goods but we left them in the taxpayers’ possession and we're the only ones that have access to them.
                "They haven't paid (any taxes) for about a year," Mr. Turner said.
                The Tax Administration Services Department said it has had discussions with the Sunday Herald on numerous occasions but the money has not been forthcoming.
                It is understood that the Sunday Herald and the Tax Office were scheduled to sign off on a new payment plan on Monday.
                The Special Enforcement Team now wants the Sunday Herald to communicate directly with it.
                Last year, a team of investors headed by Garnet Roper took over the Sunday Herald with the hope of salvaging the newspaper, which is more than a decade old.
                That buyout followed a dispute with the tax administrators for more than $145 million in unpaid taxes, which the Herald had asked the Finance Ministry to write off.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You are a comedian.. yuh believe Registrar is current re: shareholder ownership ?

Comment

Working...
                  X