X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitten by the Jamaican bug

Bitten by the Jamaican bug

Janet Silvera, Hospitality Jamaica Coordinator
    Four days after arriving in Jamaica in 2002, New York investor James Goren was bitten by the Jamaican bug.

That bite became contagious, and although none of the island's doctors were able to diagnose Goren's condition, it is safe to say the investor who broke ground last week for the J$8 billion housing and university town project at Holland Estates, Trelawny, is suffering from effects of the 'Jamaican bug'.

He strongly believes that Providence played a major role in his connection with this country, "As soon as I set foot in Jamaica, I fell in love with this gorgeous island."

Providence indeed
    In March of 2002, Goren's family booked a trip to Guana Island, a private island-resort in the British Virgin Islands. "At the last minute, my daughter, a college freshman at the time who had decided she was too cool to go on vacation with her parents, phoned to say she'd be joining us," Goren told Hospitality Jamaica.

The remote nature of Guana he said, made it impossible to add another passenger to their travel itinerary, and so he was forced to find a different destination for their spring vacation in 48 hours.

"The only place available on such a short notice was the Tryall Club here in Jamaica," he reminisced.

When he announced at breakfast just four days after his arrival here that he would purchase a villa at Tryall, "My family called a doctor to be sure that I had not been bitten by some type of tropical bug", he quipped.
    It was obvious that the charm that attracted the likes of Errol Flynn, Ian Flemming, Johnny Cash and Ralph Lauren to this island paradise had made its way into Goren's heart and soul.

He said it wasn't long before he began exploring the island beyond the comfortable cocoon of Tryall. "While I must say that Jamaica impressed me at almost every turn - the warmth of its people, the depth of its culture, and the stunning natural beauty of the island - one major issue was becoming increasingly problematic as the number of hotel beds on the island increased," he said.

He said the shortage of affordable housing, particularly for those who work in resort communities away from their families was an issue.

He argues that housing is a tremendous problem in this country, and far too many Jamaicans do not have a decent place to call home. Placing a dent in that problem, Goren and his Jamaican business partner, Kirk Kennedy of Kencasa Construction and Project Management, broke ground last Wednesday for the Holland Estates development that will change the face of Trelawny.

"My late father taught me that a man's priority is to own the house where he lives and works."

He feels that in 2010, and especially in Jamaica which is home to many female breadwinners, "We should say a person's priority is to own the house where he or she lives and work".

James Goren hopes to help ameliorate the shortage of affordable housing.
    Goren devoted as much time as possible to addressing the lack of affordable housing. While waiting he searched for a suitable parcel of land to build up to 2,000 single-family homes and, in a relative short time, was shown Holland Farm in Trelawny by his friend Robin DeLisser.

The rest, as they say, is history-"But not so fast," he insisted.

"It took five years to obtain all the necessary approvals and arrive where we are today! Let me tell you that as a developer, I cursed NEPA (National Environment and Planning Agency) and all the other agencies involved more than once," he admits, "But as a concerned citizen, I applaud them for the way they are protecting this fabulous island."

His relationship with Jamaica has grown stronger and stronger, and he began to also see the need for increased health-care services, so he enthusiastically joined the board of MoBay Hope.

"Since I live (close) to my wife, Manuela, and the Jamaican fever is highly contagious, she has also since become involved in a number of worthwhile projects," he revealed.

Manuela Goren currently serves on the board of directors of The American Friends of Jamaica, and on the board of the Tryall Fund.

Today, James Goren is still shocked by what he says is watching his wife, the "ultimate New Yorker" spend so much time here in Jamaica, "But the truth is that she absolutely loves the country and the people, and whenever she involves herself in a project she gives 110 per cent."

The couple are forced to go back to New York to rest up from the Jamaican whirlwind of social life and community work, but even in the States, Goren manages to find Jamaican-themed projects.

Her latest dream is to bring the Jamaican National Women's Basketball Team all the way to the London Olympics in 2012 by raising the needed funds and organising a training camp for them in Jamaica next June.

The two are lovers of animals and James Goren reminisced on the day a very cute stray dog followed him home and adopted his family and their villa. "Manuela and I found a new 'pet' project, we helped start up MoBay Animal Haven, a shelter for abandoned animals."

They now have two dogs - and two grown children. "Having cared for both animals and college-aged students, I can tell you that the animals cost a lot less and are a piece of cake by comparison!"

Recognising the importance of education
    James Goren has donated 10 acres of the lands at Holland Estates for construction of the first satellite campus of the University of Technology's School of Hospitality.

"As responsible developers, citizens, residents, and visitors of this country, we must support education if we want to see Jamaica continue to grow and prosper," he commented, emphasising his commitment to education.

He said that with 30 per cent of the population in Jamaica currently under the age of 14, it is critical that there is creation of educational, vocational, and career-track opportunities that will keep the best and the brightest right here.

"My goal is to integrate a modern, safe university campus in the setting of an enclosed community, and I am very proud to announce that we are close to achieving it."

Accordingly, it is his strong opinion that in the 21st century, a university must be global and attract students and professors from every corner of the globe. This new campus will endeavour to do precisely that.
    Last edited by Karl; December 12, 2010, 10:32 AM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

damn! i hope he is able to make some money in between all the philanthropy!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

you think the house them a fi free. I have said making suitable houses for tourism workers at low cost should be a priority because there is money in it. Most of these workers are paid higher than the average Jamaicans but can't get a decent place to live between Ochi to Negril.

The Chinese also a build some now too.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X