Leave Up Park Camp alone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave Up Park Camp alone!

BETTY Ann Blaine’s New Nation Coalition (NNC) is calling for the Bruce Golding government to leave the Jamaica Defence Force(JDF) headquarters at Up Park Camp, and disclose publicly the details of its plan to relocate the army to St Catherine.
    In a statement last night, NNC said it wanted answers on the buyer, the price for the proposed sale of Up Park Camp lands, and the cost of the proposed move of the JDF to Caymanas.
    Citing the old time wisdom of 'if it's not broke, don't fix it', Blaine noted that the centrally located site of the army headquarters mid town in the country's crime-ridden capital is the best possible place for such a strategic security resource.
    “After one of the most serious insurgencies in our history in this city (in Tivoli Gardens), and with the potential for urban warfare in our capital, the most crime-ridden spot in our land, why does the prime minister want to move our army to St Catherine?” Blaine asked. “If we have serious trouble in the Corporate Area again, will the JDF be able to respond quickly and effectively from a base miles away and with only two main routes into Kingston?”
    In addition, she said the army is now close to all the critical state institutions and government bodies: Parliament, government ministries, the court of appeal, all located in the Corporate Area.
    “From the security point of view, how could you want to move the JDF nerve centre?” Blaine asked
    The party, which started operation last year, also cited the historical feature of JDF as another reason not to move it.
    Last week, Information Minister Daryl Vaz said the relocation was more or less a done deal.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...#ixzz17LTl8dg3
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Don't move the JDF

Dear Editor,
    I am disturbed by the government's announcement that the Jamaica Defence Force is to be relocated. With limited dollars, to what extent is this a priority or even a necessity? Up Park Camp is a historical site of significance. Does the government hold nothing sacred about our history?
    From a security perspective, removal also seems to be a disaster. Up Park Camp's strategic location is for very specific military reasons. I get the sense that from one administration to the next, Jamaicans are being subjected to one grand project of economic prostitution for the benefit of a few, but to the detriment of many. We only have to look at Falmouth to see how they have destroyed the historical relevance of that town in favour of so-called development of the tourism sector and the cruise ship industry, leaving a trail of garbage in its wake.
    Who gave them the right to make that decision? Where were the funds allocated from? With all the debate about revising the budget and telling us that we have to curb our spending, the government needs to practise what it preaches. Preserving history is the right and honourable thing to do. Leave the JDF to do its job.
    Rebekah Lawrence

navelstring@gmail.com

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lette...#ixzz17LUIXgaM
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Sinister people might ascribe ulterior motives to this proposed move. It's a good thing I am not one of them. LOL.

Comment

More debate needed on this. Details about the deal should be made public.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
          More debate needed on this. Details about the deal should be made public.
          ... and debate is what we do best. This was mentioned in Parliament from when, suh why as words are to be converted to deeds, everybody waan debate now? Nobody had any objection until the LoO made her objection. No wonder we get nothing done.

Comment

So the details should not be made public? Or are you saying they were made public already?
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

So the details should not be made public? Or are you saying they were made public already?
              the point I'm making is there was no objection for years until Portia did the other day. I don't recall what was said then, but the PM spoke of it in Parliament. All of a sudden it will be the end of JA if UPC is moved? kiss teet.

Comment

Well not everybody follows every debate in Gordon House.

Lets hear some details.

Comment

Well not everybody follows every debate in Gordon House.

Lets hear some details.
                  ... hence the mass mis information getting traction in the society.

Comment

Wow! Thanks Betty. Good thing I'm the eternal learner

So if there should be another operation the soidlers would have to fight their way in and can be held at bay for some time? oookaaaay. Mi ah learn, ah mussi chue mi nuh know town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXw0rdsqNw

Comment

"Last week, Information Minister Daryl Vaz said the relocation was more or less a done deal."

oooooohhhhhh!

Comment

do you agree with the move

Comment

so from bruce say so its final

Comment

Originally posted by 1of1 View Post
                            do you agree with the move
                            Move it or keep it no difference to me, however the fear tactic bout city under seige don't hold water. If Mocho was under attack wouldn't the army of roll in? The move was annouced and there was no objection until Portia try a thing.

Comment

If you don't care either way why are you so worked up, I care about it , and I have an opinion that their is no logical reason to move it, but that doesn't mean I should rubbish the idea, it also means that I shouldn't run go hug it up either, why so hasty, I don't think you are being rational and I don't see anyone using fear tactics, you don't seem to want any questions to be asked. As the Opposition leader she has every right to ask questions that any citizen of this country would like to ask of this government.

Comment

Working...
                              X