X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The truth about me and the Cool Ruler

The truth about me and 'The Cool Ruler'

Davina Hamilton 4 Comments so far

LADIES MAN: Linda and Gregory Gregory Isaacs' partner Linda talks candidly to The Voice about gossip surrounding the reggae legend since his recent death

IT'S A well-known fact that death can often spark feuds amongst the deceased person's family and friends. When the person who has died is a music icon, the spats are often even greater, frequently because they're played out in the public eye.

Case in point: Gregory Isaacs. Following the passing of the reggae star in October, rumours surfaced surrounding the Night Nurse hit-maker's relationship with his UK manager Linda, who has been referred to in the media as Isaacs' wife.
    Several people criticised comments Linda made when she spoke to The Voice after Isaacs' death and said that she was "proud" the star, who was dubbed ‘The Cool Ruler’ had chosen to spend his final days with her at their home in the UK, as opposed to his birthplace, Jamaica.

Many questioned whether Isaacs had really wanted to die in the UK, believing that he would have preferred to spend his final days in his country of birth.
    But in an exclusive interview with The Voice, Linda reaffirms her comments and says that she and Isaacs were very much in love – even though their union wasn’t recognised by law…

“Now Gregory has been laid to rest, I’d like to set the record straight, as a lot has been said with regards to Gregory and myself,” says 63-year-old Linda. “Gregory and myself were together for a few years, but we were not legally married. Last April, he wanted me to change my name by deed poll to Isaacs, so I did. And yes, he said I was his wife and I said he was my husband. If we did wrong, then let the Almighty judge us.”

It’s perhaps no surprise that there has been rumours and controversy since Isaacs’ death, as the singer’s life wasn’t without its complications. Following his passing, a woman emerged claiming to be the star’s wife. June-Anne Isaacs, who resides in Jamaica, reportedly married the singer in 1983, and although the couple separated seven years ago they never divorced. June-Anne still lives in the couple’s matrimonial home in Kingston.

June-Anne had no children with Isaacs and neither did Linda, but the singer is survived by 12 children and six grandchildren.

Linda and Isaacs met in north London back in 1977 but romance didn’t blossom straight away, as Linda was already in a relationship and he “had more women than he had hot cakes,” Linda laughed.

She and Isaacs bumped into each other every so often, when Linda was in Jamaica or he was in the UK, but it wasn’t until six years ago that they began a working relationship, when Linda became his UK manager. Later down the line a romance blossomed and the pair stayed together until Isaacs’ death, with Linda caring for the singer right up until his final hours.

Isaacs died on October 25 at the Middlesex home he and Linda shared, following a battle with lung cancer. A memorial was held for the singer in the UK last month, and he was laid to rest in Jamaica the following week. Linda says that Isaacs was exactly where he wanted to be when he died.

“Gregory and I went to Jamaica last year and much of our time was spent at a medical centre, where Gregory had several scans. It was there that we, along with Gregory’s daughter Sandra, were told that there was nothing that could be done for him. Gregory chose right there and then in the doctor’s office that he was coming back to the UK with us. When he arrived back in the UK, he said that he had come home.”

She continues: “Gregory chose not to go back to Jamaica. We sought treatment at the Royal Free Hospital in London, where we were told that he only had weeks left to live. Even then, Gregory took it in his stride and never complained once. He was not bitter at all. We discussed all avenues as a family, but Gregory chose not to have chemotherapy.

“He had the best of the best treatment in the UK and I know he didn’t want to go back to Jamaica. I believe Gregory found solitude with me and my family, and his children in the UK.”

Issacs’ long-time friend and road manager Franklin Miles agrees with Linda. Miles, who knew Isaacs for over 20 years, told The Voice: “This is the place where Gregory found true happiness. He and I had a real brotherly love and he spoke to me about so many things. But he never once said to me that he felt he should be in Jamaica. He was happy here [in the UK].”

Of Linda, Miles added: “She was more than a wife to him. She was so caring towards him and he had endless love for her. I witnessed that. If it wasn’t for Linda’s care, I think he would have died earlier. She really looked after him. It’s only a pity that their relationship didn’t have the life span that they’d both hoped for.”

Following Isaacs’ death, Linda has also had to defend herself against the accusation that she stood between Isaacs and friends / associates who wanted to get in touch with him.

“Several people said that I would not let them talk to Gregory, but that wasn’t the case. Gregory chose who he wanted to talk to, and those people included John Holt, Freddie McGregor, Bob Andy, Marcia Griffiths and George Nooks. Also, Gregory did not call Jamaica. While he was here, I had to call his family out there for him to talk to them. In fact, I called most people for him to talk to them. Gregory hardly ever called anyone.”

Does Linda think that the ill-feeling towards her relationship with Isaacs was racially motivated? Did she ever experience prejudice from anyone who resented the fact that Isaacs was in a relationship with a white woman?

“Maybe that kind of prejudice has gone on, but I’ve never known it,” she says. “Of course, you’ll always have bad-mind people, but I’ve never encountered that. I think it’s about the way you are with people; if you show respect, you’ll get respect.”

Reflecting on her relationship with Isaacs, Linda says: “We loved each other. Not a lustful kind of love but a senior citizen love, as Gregory called us! I actually got him a bus pass and it was funny because he would say, ‘When we ah go use it?’ I would say, ‘You’re not ready for it just yet, but soon!’
    “Gregory was a good, clean-hearted man and he never had a bad word for anyone. He died so peacefully and I am so proud that he chose to spend his last days with me.”
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Is there any though?

We are just about due for the standard "Isaacs died broke" press release that comes out after a Jamaican artiste passes away. Hopefully this one will be a bit different?
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

A wonder how June figure inna this and the Children them. June grew most a Gregory kids and Gregory and her still married although seperated.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

she is his wife and and his children are entitled to his estate...if he wanted to give his common law wife anything it would have had to be an inter vivos gift, joint bank account/house/vehicle etc. ownership

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

thanks because June had been there through all the ruff times and help to grow some of his kids so hopefully she will get something.

Comment

Working...
            X