X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only the JLP?

Vaz says he'll sue Sunday Herald

Monday, November 29, 2010

IINFORMATION Minister Daryl Vaz has said that he will be suing the Sunday Herald newspaper over yesterday's lead story which reported that he had negotiated a generous agreement with the tax department over an outstanding $74-million GCT bill owed by Ultimate Exotics Limited, a company of which he is a principal shareholder.

The article also said that Vaz's car dealership company owed over $400 million in taxes up to November 2010.

VAZ... the information in that article is false and smacks of political brinkmanship

VAZ... the information in that article is false and smacks of political brinkmanship

1/1

But yesterday, Vaz dismissed the claims as erroneous and spurious, and said that the Sunday Herald has endeavoured over the last few weeks to sully his reputation and scupper his chances of being victorious at the upcoming internal elections of the ruling Jamaica Labour Party (JLP).

"The tax department cannot and does not divulge people's tax records, and so to make this despicable claim which has no foundation requires me to take legal action," Vaz said yesterday.

"Over the past several weeks, the Sunday Herald has sought to paint me as a criminal and impute that I am involved in nefarious activities. I have largely ignored its gutter journalism and its erroneous articles aimed at the Government and myself, choosing instead to keep my own counsel. This time, however, I am compelled to seek legal redress to what is obviously a libellous stain on both myself and my family," said Vaz.

"The information in that article is false and smacks of political brinkmanship. It is clear for all to see that the Sunday Herald is assuredly aligned with the People's National Party and is an agent of its bidding," said Vaz.

Vaz, who appears to be a strong favourite to win next Sunday's election for the post of JLP general secretary, gave what he said was an example of the Sunday Herald's unremitting efforts to besmirch his name and reputation. He pointed to a recent article about his ex-business partner which, he said, tried to marry him to the incident reported although it had nothing whatsoever to do with him.

"Nowhere in the article in question is it mentioned that my ex-partner is married to Deputy Prime Minister Ken Baugh's daughter, yet it chooses to focus on me," he said.

"This tabloid heaps abuses on me week in, week out, and it has got to stop', he said. "It is beginning to look like if I don't feature in some headline, the Sunday Herald cannot sell, which says a lot about that media house.

"I have been through a lot in my 47 years and I am a fighter. As old-time Jamaican folk say: "People don't throw stone at fluxy mango."

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Did PM Golding and his ministers, including Vaz give their nod of approval to 'insiders' giving information to the press and 'relevalnt authorities' and further recommended they be honoured?

Only the JLP!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

A bet yuh! If yuh bad, sue dem!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The Herald and non-public information being published again. Jamaica has no information security whatsoever.

Comment

i would love to see this law suit... vaz is an idiot... talking about the revelation has no foundation after admitting that there was an outstanding tax issue and previously agreed upon arrangement with the tax department... the herald should tell him their attorneys are waiting for the law suit... perhaps, he and his company will have to reveal the truth and the whole truth about the arrangements...

vaz is a real idiot... he thinks he can scare people with threats of law suits...
          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

nuh suh him boss stay? all now him cyaan sue ABC! their threats are as useful as a fluxy mango!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Di Herald mek dem 'Tax Arrangement' yet ?

Comment

Maybe dem want the same "arrangement" Vaz get. LOL. Everybody get it or nobody nah get it.

Comment

mi feel seh dem juss badmind...

Comment

"weak"

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                    X