• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silence of the corrupt

Silence of the corrupt
    published: Saturday | January 13, 2007
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

The Editor, Sir:

I write to comment on your columnist Garth Rattray's opinion piece in The Gleaner of January 8, 2007 headlined 'Corruption confession won't change anything'.

Your columnist made the following two statements in close proximity in that piece:

1) "Thankfully, the vast majority of our police are decent, dedicated, honest, patriotic and hard-working citizens."

2) "My many patients, acquaintances and friends within the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) have spoken of such things (and far more) in graphic, chilling detail. They are embarrassed, disgusted and frustrated by the actions of their corrupt colleagues, but are powerless to do anything about it. Reporting corruption can have dire consequences."

These two statements are inconsistent and contradictory, as in my view, those "embarrassed, disgusted and frustrated" members of the police force, by their failure to report corruption are also corrupt, though not equally as corrupt as their "corrupt colleagues".

The fundamental issue raised by the above is the agreed definition of a 'corrupt' cop. Whereas Dr. Rattray obviously does not regard the cops referred to in his second statement as corrupt, I do.

real problem in Ja

The real problem in Jamaica is that there are three codes of silence operating to destroy the fabric of the Jamaican society:

1) The code of silence within the criminal underworld.

2) The code of silence in the police force.

3) The code of silence among the majority of Jamaican citizens.

Dr. Rattray's second statement accurately describes the second code of silence within the police force which is, in my opinion, the major cause of the third code of silence observed by most Jamaican citizens.

The dilemma was recently exemplified by DCP Shields in one television interview, admitting to the activities of rogue cops in St. James while, at the same time, imploring the citizens of that parish to provide intelligence to the police force.

If policemen and policewomen with intelligence or evidence against their fellow officers do not report it for fear of the admittedly 'dire consequences', they are corrupt. If they are deserving of the accolade 'honest' they should, at least, resign.

The present reality will not change until the code of silence within the police force is destroyed and replaced by fearless conduct which unites the force against corruption and inspires the Jamaican public to trust the JCF. The policemen and women must be held to a higher standard than ordinary citizens.

What Dr. Rattray sees is only the tip of a very large and dirty iceberg and we should all remember what is was that sunk the Titanic.

I am, etc.,

SPECTATOR
    </DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X