Over-taxed and under-serviced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over-taxed and under-serviced

Please publish as an open letter to Finance Minister Audley Shaw.

Dear Mr Shaw:
    While you clamour for tax compliance to provide needed services in Jamaica, some of the services are not being provided. In Red Hills where I reside, within the last two to three months, we have had to endure inadequate pick-up of our garbage for seven weeks, and now we are into five more weeks since we have had any pick-up.
    When you presented the second estimates of expenditure in 2009, you increased our property tax, indicating that one of the improved amenities we would have received was improved garbage pick-up. I must tell you that this service has worsened since that pronouncement.
    At a meeting where we engaged our member of Parliament, Mr Andrew Gallimore last month, I brought up this matter. In his reply, he attempted to inform us that: Compared to Florida, for example, our property tax was minimal. I did not get the opportunity to reply to this assertion, but my comment is that, compared to Florida, the income structure is one-third that of workers performing the same task in the same profession here in Jamaica. In New York where I worked for over 25 years, a New Yorker gets five times as much as a worker here in Jamaica for the same task.
    Regarding the tax structure, Jamaicans are over-taxed and under-serviced. New Yorkers pay a city tax, state tax, federal tax, property tax, social security and tax on some commodities such as gas. Here in Jamaica, Jamaicans pay National Housing Trust, National Insurance Scheme, education tax, GCT ( commodities), property tax and a gas tax.
    This is a small country compared to New York, and other states in the United States, so why the comparison? I think a massive drive and awareness of producing more, rather than consuming foreign goods and services, is urgently needed to capitalise on the human resources in Jamaica. It is the only solution to this national dilemma.

I am, etc.,
    FRANK HILL
    Figureme1@yahoo.com
    Red Hills,
    St Andrew

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2.../letters7.html
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

So wi paying more for garbage pick up and better roads, yet they get worse. Much worse!

But hey, we are a developed country now!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

this person a talk crap. I use to pay 7000 for propety tax on .11 acres in NY and it wasn't in any posh uptown area.

This person haven't been to New York in the last 20 years.

Not saying him not over tax but NY is no example to use.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

$7,000 does seem like a lot of money for .11 acres.

Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

that is average in NY. If you live inna place like Westchester, some places in Rockland, Long Island you maybe be paying at least 10,000 for the same property.

My Sister was paying about 10,000 in Hempstead NY. CT is a lot cheaper.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
          X