Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Embassador says

Rescuing a 'tattered society'
    Outlining some of the features of the Chinese reform process, Professor Chu said that the Chinese programme was unique and was geared towards rescuing a "tattered society that was on the verge of collapse.
    "The reform programme was home-grown and domestically engineered. Unlike other countries, it was not a foreign prescription. There was no shock therapy; rather, there was an incremental approach to change. We started from within with the farmers, getting the production processes more organised. We have successfully managed to merge reform, development, and stability," he explained. Shifting to investment strategies

, Professor Chu said special economic zones were set up with neighbouring countries, such as Hong Kong, and these zones gradually spread to 40 other coastal areas. "Now we have more than 700,000 foreign-owned companies and Chinese foreign-owned co-operative ventures in several locations.

"They came with money and managerial expertise. They came with advanced technologies; we had to learn quickly from them. To our advantage, we skipped research and development and saved a lot of money. They came with well-established networks, which are very costly," said Professor Chu. The Chinese economy on which most of the world leans, emerged from last year's economic crisis almost unscathed, leading the global economic recovery process with a year-on-year growth rate of 9.1 per cent last year.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Oh so you skipped R&D? Okay. A country of your population size and ambition. Good move I wonder how you plan to acquire cutting edge technology. Ah well. maybe D1 could help out here

Comment

so yuh still believe they are skipping R&D? okay, gwaan tink suh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

them nuh skip it, why re-invent it when you have GE, IBM, and all the major companies coming in and sharing their's? At the same time training your employees?

Don1 them eyes cover. First thing the man said it started with Arigulture and free zones. Some thing we hated and call slavery. People fail to see that the big profits Coke, Walmart, GE and others make are from doing businesses in China and other places. The president of IBM said they went there first because of the market and then the manufacturing came after.

It is not like American and other companies are not growing it is just that they are not employing Americans so make them gwaan fool themselves.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Maybe America doing too much R&D and nothing else?!? Just asking!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

that a nuh the case. Right now technology is stagnant. The economists in the 80s and 90s and the free tradist claims that a wealthier China and India is good for America as they would buy more American goods but this was just to boost the bottom line of their companies, they never know that China would become such a production powerhouse. Currently most of the technology China use is either adopted or stolen(yes they are one of the biggest internet criminal network) but you have to give them credit still and now they have put their things together.

Now you hear the talking heads, the same one who supported the absolute trade who use to talk bout service economies now talking how everything is manufactured in China. It is not like it is anything new but American companies not crying as even in the downturn Cocoa Cola, IBM, Walmart and others making the biggest profits ever leading with sales in Asia and partnering with Asian companies.

The first step the Americans make is to devalue the dollar, now they going to find all kind of tarrifs and other obstacles to put in the way of Chinese goods while the Chinese will not take it standing. We are in for interesting times, that is all I know.

Comment

A perfect demonstration of the anger of a LITTLE knowledge

=Assasin;261699]them nuh skip it, why re-invent it when you have GE, IBM, and all the major companies coming in and sharing their's? At the same time training your employees?
              The Chinese did what all powers do...beg, steal, buy or attract technology and also develop your own when you can......and even when you do have a tech base you're always looking to steal the other country's technology..... that's what even the US does to this day.... yuh nuh know dat?

Don1 them eyes cover. First thing the man said it started with Arigulture and free zones. Some thing we hated and call slavery. People fail to see that the big profits Coke, Walmart, GE and others make are from doing businesses in China and other places. The president of IBM said they went there first because of the market and then the manufacturing came after.
              You read limited news releases and think you have an issue covered...bad move.... a little knowledge will trip yuh up..

The first and most important reform for China was political... after the death of Mao, the new leadership under Deng determined that state capitalism was the way forward to try to catch the West.

They reformed their education...focused on masses of people learning English and beginning to upgrade technical skills so they could assimilate new technology and deal with the West on a better level....and they started to allow some individual business development & allow the state to develop profit making businesses...even the People's Liberation Army has for profit businesses.... all these developments start with political reform.

If you wish to understand China's transformation there are many books available on the subject..

The reforms that Jamaica for example really needs are to our political culture & education system.... IMF type reforms unnu like to crow about are important but completely secondary to that....those IMF induced reforms will not go very far unless the political & educational reforms are adopted

It is not like American and other companies are not growing it is just that they are not employing Americans so make them gwaan fool themselves.
              The meaning of this is a mystery
              Last edited by Don1; November 7, 2010, 06:21 PM.
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Let me tell you that a friend of mine for 12 years was someone who her father signed the deal for Coke to come to China so I think she is in a better position to educate me than you are.

You try only to show one side which is very dangerous. I know the little bit of info you just posted but when you post you must include the other part of it not just to suit your narrow agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  Maybe America doing too much R&D and nothing else?!? Just asking!
                  America's basic problem is that that it has become decadent and without any firm direction...which is what happens to all empires after a while...decline sets in.

People like to live big with high consumption and live on credit with little saved...but also want to work less and enjoy more leisure.
                  People want big entitlement programs like Medicare & Social security...but don't want tax increases to pay for it....those 2 programs are not currently fully funded after 2030 or so and will be bankrupt if taxes are not raised or benefits cut

the manufacturing base of the country has been stripped over the past 30 years...and services are becoming the mainstay of the economy (80%) ...not real goods. Financial services (money changing games) are now a huge part of the economy...and growing.. a very bad development.

The US gets into unwinnable wars it cannot afford...other than borrowing abroad to pay for them....including borrowing from China.. the ultimate cost of Iraq & Afghanistan is estimated at $2-3 Trillion

The US will continue to be a great power...but the decline & exhaustion & decadence is clear.

Maybe the country will get a 2nd wind?

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    Let me tell you that a friend of mine for 12 years was someone who her father signed the deal for Coke to come to China so I think she is in a better position to educate me than you are.

You try only to show one side which is very dangerous. I know the little bit of info you just posted but when you post you must include the other part of it not just to suit your narrow agenda.
                    so you know someone whose father is or was a Coke executive who signed a deal?? So what?

Come betta dan dat...dat nuh cut nuh dash...a specious justification

BTW...what do you believe my agenda is?

Comment

there you go jumping to conclusion. My friend father was not a Coke exec but a part of the Chinese government responsible for trade.

Comment

The post-Mao Zedong Chinese Communist Party leadership viewed education as the foundation of the Four Modernizations. In the early 1980s, science and technology education became an important focus of education policy. By 1986 training skilled personnel and expanding scientific and technical knowledge had been assigned the highest priority. Although the humanities were considered important, vocational and technical skills were considered paramount for meeting China's modernization goals. The reorientation of educational priorities paralleled Deng Xiaoping's strategy for economic development. Emphasis also was placed on the further training of the already-educated elite, who would carry on the modernization program in the coming decades. Renewed emphasis on modern science and technology, coupled with the recognition of the relative scientific superiority of the West, led to the adoption, beginning in 1976, of an outward-looking policy that encouraged learning and borrowing from abroad for advanced training in a wide range of scientific fields

easy wiki seach fi yuh

Too bad fi yuh di Embassador (sic) neva break it dung suh....
                        Last edited by Don1; November 7, 2010, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Who you trying to impress? The reason my friend did College in Canada is because she felt she had no choice but to be an Engineer, something she said she didn't want to be. All the top students had to be engineers.

She went back to her high school reunion and she told me there were all scientists. As I said these information you giving is nothing earth shattering.

Comment

I care not a whit about your friend...so have not commented one iota about that...it is 100% immaterial.

Try to stay on topic...address substance not irrelevant personal trivia

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                              them nuh skip it, why re-invent it when you have GE, IBM, and all the major companies coming in and sharing their's? At the same time training your employees?

You are right on the money there Sass. US companies and companies from other developed countries spend millions in R&D and then take the technology to China to take advantage of their abundant and cheap labor. So there is a transfer of technology taking place to China's benefit.
                              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
                              X