• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Gavin made an honest mistake—AG

New judge to conduct Clico probe...
    Sir Gavin made an honest mistake—AG

Leah Sorias

Published: 5 Nov 2010

Cabinet has approved the nomination of a new judge to solely chair the Commission of Enquiry into Clico and the Hindu Credit Union (HCU), after the previous nominee, retired British High Court judge Sir Gavin Lightman admitted he forgot about representing Clico and businessman Lawrence Duprey in a court matter 20 years ago. Attorney General Anand Ramlogan said yesterday that deputy chief justice of the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) Sir Anthony Colman is the new nominee for commissioner of the inquiry.

In a news conference at his St Vincent Street, Port-of-Spain, office, Ramlogan said Lightman’s mistake was an honest one, as he was in his 70s and simply could not remember an incident that occurred 20 years ago. He said he did not think Lightman set out to mislead him. “This is not something that could be foreseen or predicted or far less avoided,” he said. “It’s like interviewing someone for a job, and when you are interviewing someone for a job, it would depend on the experience and recollection.” Lightman’s involvement in a Clico matter was first raised in the Senate by PNM senator Pennelope Beckles-Robinson two weeks ago.

Earlier this week, she provided documents to support her claims. She said because of this “conflict of interest,” Lightman should not be allowed to conduct the inquiry. Ramlogan said after the allegations, he immediately contacted Lightman, and Lightman dismissed it as being without foundation. “In my initial meeting with him, I would have asked if there was any potential for any conflict of interest, be it direct or indirect, and having heard from Sir Gavin that he was not so conflicted, I then indicated to the media that the allegations were baseless,” the AG said.

Ramlogan said yesterday that he was satisfied with his own investigations that Lightman did, in fact, appear for Clico. “Because of the relation I have with Beckles, I called her on Sunday at her home and I said if you are holding firm to your position, let’s discuss what you know, as you didn’t provide a time frame,” he said. He said he spoke with some people who might have been involved in the matter 20 years ago, and was satisfied that Lightman appeared for Clico. “That does not mean Sir Lightman is conflicted as a matter of law,” Ramlogan said.

He said because of the importance of the Clico inquiry to the nation, and having regard to the extent of the Clico fiasco and because he did not want to taint the integrity of the commission of enquiry, he decided to take a note to Cabinet yesterday, seeking an alternative commissioner. Ramlogan said this was done after a discussion with Lightman. “Sir Gavin has nobly and honourably accepted that he erred and having given careful consideration he now indicated, by way of e-mail, that he wished to decline the appointment,” he said.

He noted that Lightman never received his instrument of appointment from the President and as such no work was done yet and there would be no revocation of an appointment. He said Colman was a suitable replacement of equal eminence and stature. He said Colman had accepted the nomination and had indicated in writing that he had no conflict of interest.

He said with Colman’s nomination, the commission of enquiry should be in operation no later than the end of this month. Ramlogan said he expected the President to hand over Colman’s instrument of appointment within two weeks.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Not our Boyd Carey of the FINSAC enquiry! Instead of just saying him figget, or that at the time he had a slight bout of the brucegoldious flu, him tek it gone to di Supreme Court.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
    X